Probably switching back to my iPhone

RMansfield

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...now you've got me worried. My story almost exactly mirrors yours. I've used iPhones since they first came out, but I've been interested in Windows Phones because of the cameras. First, I bought a 928 on eBay just to see if I could live with Windows Phone. Now I've ordered an Icon from eBay (should arrive this week). My contract with Verizon runs out in September. If I like the Icon well enough, I thought I'd sell my iPhone on eBay, and then in September decide whether I want an iPhone 6 (which will presumably be available) or whichever new Windows Phone has the best camera at that time (there's no guarantee I'll stick with Verizon).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes visual voice mail cost money with Windows phone. Android has this problem to. IPhone users get it free because apple held visual voicemail as part of iphone free over the network providers heads so they could get iPhone. AT&T was an iPhone exclusive provider at launch because of it. But don't let that keep you from using windows phone. I say think about what you want to do first.
Visual Voicemail is free on AT&T no matter what device one uses. I had it when I used BlackBerry, and I still have it with Windows Phone. Verizon charges extra for Visual Voicemail.

iconuser165

May 5, 2014
Visit site
"Returning to My IPhone"

That pretty much says where your heart is.

I did the research. I understood that I was buying the Icon for the 20MP camera. I have to tell you that I find it incredible in both pictures and video. I invested in "Adobe Lightroom" to 'touch up' my errors because I know where my heart (and need) is. I also find the Icon to be a very good phone and the available apps fill my needs. I look forward to the Cyan update. The Icon is all that I hoped for.

I am sorry you don't find the Icon relevant to your life. Perhaps later, when you've had a chance to re-compare and think it through, you can always come back to Windows Phone. I, and others, will be waiting here with smiles to welcome you back if that day occurs.

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Got my Lumia 930 last friday, had iPhone the last 6 years, so nearly the same situation as the OP.
After 2 days of excessive testing I can only say: never ever switching back to iPhone/iOS. :)

Don't misunderstand me, iPhones and iOS are great/fantastic devices/OS, but for me personally I didn't like the direction where iOS has moved the last years... straight into a golden cage which is ok if you also use only Apple products (iPad, MacBooks, etc.). Mac Laptops was for me personally always a no-go, so unfortunately I had to live with this hybrid environment (Windows and Apple) the last years...
Now I am happy, the Lumia 930 exactly fits my needs and expectations, the switch to WP was very easy and smart. I know this is very personal and everyone has to decide this on its own. Most things the OP mentioned may be resolved with WP 8.1 and Cyan Update - as the Lumia 930 is delivered with both of them I can't reproduce most of the OPs issues...

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Nokia Lumia Icon on eBay for $375 2 weeks ago, because I thought I would love Windows Phone as I love Windows 8. I have been using an iPhone basically since they came out. The camera on the Nokia Icon was also a huge selling point. After about of week of using, I just couldn't adjust to the phone and its differences. The following are issues that I had that maybe I can get help with or hear what other people's thoughts are...

Issues:

Only way to wake the phone is to press the button onto he side which is not very quick.

The camera was pretty slow.

Swapping between the front an rear camera was not easily accessible or intuitive.

Putting the phone on vibrate is not as simple as the flip of a switch like on the iPhone, it takes a while to unlock the phone then adjust it.

Changing any of the emission settings (WiFi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode) requires the phone be unlocked.

The phone was a little large for me.

Cortland can't search anything without being unlocked.

Bluetooth LE is not supported with the developer preview with WP8.1, I know I can downgrade.

Apps don't seem nearly as finished, features missing, apps missing. (well known of course)

Some of your problems do have solutions, go to settings > touch > enable Tap to Wake.

The slow camera focusing will be fixed as soon as Lumia Cyan will be released, Nokia is adding continuous focus and faster shot to shot times.

The rest of the feedback is very nice and you should tweet it to some Microsoft employee.

kclinden

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Any ideas on when Cyan will be available in the US with VZW? It sucks that you have to pay for Visual Voicemail with WP on Verizon. Not sure how I feel about that. I will wait for the update to come out before I get rid of the phone... When the update comes out will give it another 2 week trial...

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Any ideas on when Cyan will be available in the US with VZW? It sucks that you have to pay for Visual Voicemail with WP on Verizon. Not sure how I feel about that. I will wait for the update to come out before I get rid of the phone... When the update comes out will give it another 2 week trial...

The Windows Phone team is set to announce "something huge" soon, I believe you should wait for that.

Not sure when Cyan will arrive but it is a very exciting update for the newer range of Lumia devices.

It introduces faster focusing, faster shutter speeds, better night-time photos and improved DNG shot quality.

Windows is also soon bringing more customisation by adding custom lockscreens for 1GB RAM or above devices.

The high end Lumia range, especially owners of Lumia 1520, 930 and Icon should be very excited for Cyan.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think iPhone is the right choice for you. It was the same for me when I got a Galaxy Tab. The constant crashes of android got that puppy sent back to the pound. Keep checking in on WP from time to time and maybe you'll be back or maybe you wont as the god phone will soon be upon us.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone does not require you to unlock the phone with the pin just to change the WiFi and Bluetooth settings.

I actually appreciate this feature. There's a reason why I am locking the phone. It means I don't want someone to mess with it. Period.

As for your phone getting hot, there are multiple threads about this. I would use the search. One thought might be that since you have only had the phone for 2 weeks, there might be a ton of updates going on behind the scenes you're not aware of. That might account for the behavior. As for going back to iPhone, we all have to do what is right for us. Good luck.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

I've never had to pay for Visual Vmail. Just created a stand alone Google Voice account and attached it to my main cell number. Any time someone leaves me a vmail it will automatically send it via text and email to that stand alone Gmail account. I then have that Gmail account on my phone and I always get all my messages on my phone. If the person is in my contacts list, it even says it is from "John Q Public".

Best of all, this is free. Oh and it's not a 3rd party tool or integration. Just taking what Google Voice does naturally and adding it to my phone.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Issues:
Only way to wake the phone is to press the button onto he side which is not very quick.
Swapping between the front an rear camera was not easily accessible or intuitive.
Putting the phone on vibrate is not as simple as the flip of a switch like on the iPhone, it takes a while to unlock the phone then adjust it.
Changing any of the emission settings (WiFi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode) requires the phone be unlocked.
Bluetooth LE is not supported with the developer preview with WP8.1, I know I can downgrade.
Apps don't seem nearly as finished, features missing, apps missing. (well known of course)
1. Double tap to wake is available on most high-end Nokia devices. You just have to enable it.
2. I agree with this point. Compared to an iPhone 5s, the camera is slow to open and focus. By the time I take a photo on my lumia 920, i can take 3-5 shots on the iPhone 5s.
3. huh ? You don't see the guy's head with camera icon on the top / left ? I think that's intuitive enough.
4. On Windows Phone 8.1, you can easily toggle between Vibrate ON and OFF (also silence the sounds by tapping on the extreme left). You don't have to unlock the phone.
5. Again, on WP8.1 only Wifi needs device unlocking.
6. You should've known that before buying it. Nothing we can do about it :)
7. That's how it's supposed to work. Otherwise anyone can unlock the phone by activating Cortana (would be a PR disaster).
8. Don't know about it.
9. I agree. Apps are missing features, apps are unavailable. All valid points.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
1. Double tap to wake is available on most high-end Nokia devices. You just have to enable it.

As pointed out before, but nobody seems to notice apparently since people keep suggesting it... Lumia Icon (which the OP has) DOES NOT HAVE DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE. It is definitely an annoyance to not have it.

As for Visual Voicemail, Verizon charges extra for it, but you can download and use Magik Mail Lite. It's free (with a small fee to upgrade if you want more advanced functions). I use it and it works great. Really stingy of Verizon to not include VVM in their plans like AT&T and T-Mobile do.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/magikmail-lite/3e15f183-214c-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

mohawk apple

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Nokia Lumia Icon on eBay for $375 2 weeks ago, because I thought I would love Windows Phone as I love Windows 8. I have been using an iPhone basically since they came out. The camera on the Nokia Icon was also a huge selling point. After about of week of using, I just couldn't adjust to the phone and its differences. The following are issues that I had that maybe I can get help with or hear what other people's thoughts are...

Issues:

sell me your icon when u decide to switch back to iPhone! :excited:

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have been on WP since HTC 8x release and WP8. So November 2012. 4 months ago I bought an IPhone 5s to try it knowing it would go to my wife if I ended back on WP. Honestly at first all of the apps had me really excited but after 2-3 weeks that initial excitement of new apps got old. To make a long story short I only lasted 3 weeks on the iPhone and am on my Lumia 928 again. Then when I got the 8.1 dp I fell even in more love with the phone.

I know a lot of people coming from iPhone have had problems with receiving texts (due to imessage). I know you didn't mention that but give it some more time. If you are into photos I'd recommend trying out the different cameras available and also the different lenses. Lots of great stuff I'm sure you will find something you enjoy. Like others have said they are constantly being updated. I'm still switching between Microsoft camera and Nokia camera.

2 weeks really isn't enough time. Especially if you have been with IPhone since 1st gen. You are on a developers preview. Wait until the official update comes out. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05