loading 930 rom onto the icon

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried loading a 930 ROM onto the icon???. chances are it is not possible but would be worth a try.
I will try it tmo night on an icon and report back

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
does not make a difference with the software for 3g and lte, will use whatever the hardware is on the phone. I flash many different roms on devices, 920, 925, 1520 depending on what rom from what country makes a difference to what we get here in Canada on euro devices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would think its possible, but my concern is the probable lack of the proper firmware to correctly handle itself with VZW's network and the CDMA equipment onboard.

What other hardware differences are there?

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would think its possible, but my concern is the probable lack of the proper firmware to correctly handle itself with VZW's network and the CDMA equipment onboard.

What other hardware differences are there?

ok tried it out tonight, device does not have the correct signature attached to install, so is a no go.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
ok tried it out tonight, device does not have the correct signature attached to install, so is a no go.

I don't believe it's possible, Installing a OEM rom from say, a 1520 from the US, to a another country's rom, might be possible because the devices have the same hardware and I would bet product number.

The ICON and 930 are different products and product numbers. The board that controls the radios (GSM, LTE and 3g) is different. If by the chance you could get it installed, you take the risk of no radios working at all.

that sucks....nice try anyway..

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I flash my rm-937 with rm-938 roms and visa versa all the time, same with my euro 925 which is currently flased with the tmobile rom.
the phones are the same except the radios. as long as the rest of the hardware is the same it should flash, but it seems the only thing stopping the flashing would be something extra on the Verizon side, pretty much the same as the att roms. the icon and 930 are the same phones, its just something that Verizon has added into the software to stop the flashing.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The fundamental difference between the Icon and the 930 is the 3G side. The Icon's 3G is both CDMA and GSM, where as the 930 doesn't have the CDMA capability. CDMA requires a special key that ONLY Verizon can provide. I learned this when I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. Samsung had to provide three different ROMs, one for Verizon, one for Sprint, and one for the unlocked version. That is why I said, it wouldn't necessarily be a good idea. Also, it still wouldn't solve the problem of running it on T-Mobile or AT&T here in the US. Although there have been some success getting the Icon running on non-Verizon networks (mostly with GSM), the LTE side is till problematic.

dmozk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I use an Icon outside the US, it works very well up to HSPDA+ however the LTE band used in my country is not the same as Verizon's so I miss out on LTE, no big deal but I would flash a 930 rom if it was an option.

There seems to be conjecture that the 930 and the Icon are physically different (radio). I have looked around and I can't see any evidence to support this, I would be more inclined to believe that if one could bypass the device code check / signature that the 930 rom should work on the Icon (with possible CDMA loss?). Perhaps as mentioned below it is a licence matter and they don't want people flashing the 930 with Verzion firmware and then getting access to Verizon apps and CDMA - hence the different product codes and signature checks.

Anyone around here know more about this than I do that would care to comment? Is there a way to identify the hardware differences (if any) without a full tear-down of said devices?

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
have you try to use the recovery mode to flash?

That will only flash (aka download the rom) for the product number of the phone....and you would just end up on 8.0 GDR3....

Yea, it sucks but, give it a few more weeks, you'll have Cyan....it's coming soon but, the exact day, only Verizon knows and they wont give anything till its ready to release.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
have been thinking if I could flash the icon's fw on a 928 to get the LTE band 4 working, or 'AWS' as they call it, is there a way to install the baseband radio or modem fw independently from the rest of the fw like on ios devices? that would be the best way to enable band 4 on lumia 928

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
have been thinking if I could flash the icon's fw on a 928 to get the LTE band 4 working.....

LOL, a ICON/929 firmware on a 928 ? Good luck with that, first of all it would not install(locked down by certs via product number), second of all, hardware is different, display, chipset, CPU. almost everything is different (maybe a few chips are the same)

IF you could get it to actually install (and it wont), you would BRICK your 928..and turn it into a nice paperweight...A worthless device that even Nokia tools might not be able to bring back...

Not a good idea...Unless you could make a custom rom, with the correct drivers in the image but, you need it to be certified or it wont be able to install....and right now, that is impossible, even the expert hackers over at XDA have had no luck...

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
So it's not possible to flash Lumia 930's ROM to Lumia Icon?
Such a shame :(. I would've loved to flash it in order to get a proper WP8.1 and probably get rid of MMS message issues. They won't work at all with DP WP8.1 :(

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
So based on these posts, all Icon owners are screwed and have no way out of removing Verizon out of the firmware update cycle for Cyan & Denim. And now that Verizon dropped the Icon, who knows if they will even care to push them out. Unfortunate that Microsoft does not help with this...

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
LOL, a ICON/929 firmware on a 928 ? Good luck with that, first of all it would not install(locked down by certs via product number), second of all, hardware is different, display, chipset, CPU. almost everything is different (maybe a few chips are the same)

IF you could get it to actually install (and it wont), you would BRICK your 928..and turn it into a nice paperweight...A worthless device that even Nokia tools might not be able to bring back...

Not a good idea...Unless you could make a custom rom, with the correct drivers in the image but, you need it to be certified or it wont be able to install....and right now, that is impossible, even the expert hackers over at XDA have had no luck...

Just a typo, I don't need the entire firmware, just the baseband, like they do with the iPhone and iPad, you can install iPad's baseband on the iPhone, now how cool is that.

And since this are simply 2 phones from the same manufacturer it should be feasible, WP needs a bit more time with hackers before we start doing such things

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99