10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    I am confused.. My Icon works just fine, as it has since the day I purchased it.. Why are people using other phones until 8.1 is released????????

Did your Icon not work last week? Did it not work two weeks ago?

I said it before, I don't get the drama over 8.1. My Icon works just fine as it is right now. Sure 8.1 will be nice but I won't stress out on it.
    You don't belong here.
    Tjarren likes this.
    09-07-2014 05:12 PM
    I don't get the online tantrums..

It will come eventually and don't get me wrong, I want it just as bad as the next person but me throwing an online tantrum won't make it come any faster.
    WOW, that just makes sense. Don't bring logic to this forum, it's no place for it...

I hear ya...lol...
    09-07-2014 06:57 PM
    I don't know what happened to my icon, but after the touch screen problem ended I'm seeing a HUGE battery boost in my icon, I went from having a 12-15 hours of battery life to having a 20+ hours of battery life ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    09-07-2014 07:03 PM
    First windows phone, but when I picked up the Icon in February 8.1 sounded like it'd be right around the corner, so this is pretty drawn out for me. Before, I was pissed at Apple for the constant iOS updates that eventually crippled my iPhone 4. The windows idea of a phone update coming only every 18 months but being an overhaul was welcoming. But now, when app developers aren't updating things and waiting for 8.1 and it's still not out and I'm seeing lesser phones on the shelves with 8.1, I'm finding I'm having to pull out my old iphone that I was convinced I'd never need to use again.

So yeah... here's to hoping for next week.
    Nearly the same boat. Samsung+VZW locked me out of flashing custom roms on my Galaxy S III so I climbed aboard WP in February for the no lag experience and promise of 8.1.
    09-07-2014 07:53 PM
    My icon has actually been having battery issues. I have dp 8.1 and I don't know if that is affecting my phone. I don't want to flash it back, so I'm hoping that I can cyan soon so I can see if the unofficial firmware is having an affect. Fingers crossed that I can get it soon.
    There is no Unofficial Firmware, Dev Preview is only for WP 8.1 and GDR Updates
    They have zero to do with Firmware.
    Cyan IS the Firmware we are waiting for. I am already using WP8.1.1 through Dev Preview.

To all the rest of you naysayers, "I'm fine with my phone the way it is", "They will release it when they are ready" and
    "they don't owe it to you" crowd....
    I want Cyan. It improves the Camera and most likely the battery among other things
    Provides Miracast support for the Icon.

Denim, another Firmware update (NOT an OS Update) will be released soon and add features such as,,,
    Better Camera support, Hands Free "Hey Cortana" Access among other things.

These are features that we should not be denied at all.
    Features that the Manufacturers and Developers of the Phone itself spent the time on to develop and release to the public.

How do carriers get to decide that my device shouldn't get it just cause they don't want to take the time to add all their own
    bloat and garbage to it.

Please save the BS about testing to work with the Radio Signal, that is a crock of ****.
    They have ample time and resources to test this thoroughly without adding all their own garbage and potentially
    causing issues that create more delays.

Let me elaborate further....
    If this is all on the manufacturers and developers more than the carriers,
    Why is it commonly stated (released upon carrier testing and approval)?
    If the manufacturers and developers are so worried about selling new phones.
    Why are they spending resource money and time developing updates that may never see the light of day
    cause the carrier didn't approve it, or wait so long to make it obsolete?
    Wouldn't that be counter productive to and a waste of money, man power and resources?

Yes, I am destroying your arguments.
    Last edited by Tepid; 09-07-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    09-07-2014 08:41 PM
    You're right; I confused the Lumia Cyan update, which is obviously only for Nokia phones, with Win Mobile 8.1.
    09-07-2014 09:19 PM
    Please save the BS about testing to work with the Radio Signal, that is a crock of ****.
    They have ample time and resources to test this thoroughly without adding all their own garbage and potentially
    causing issues that create more delays.
    On a side note: in contrast to Android, neither OEMs nor carriers can add, modify or delete anything from WP. The worst they can do is add a configuration file with a list of apps the phone should download on initial setup, all of which the user can completely remove, just like any other app.
    Last edited by a5cent; 09-07-2014 at 10:01 PM.
    Muessig likes this.
    09-07-2014 09:41 PM
    Are we there yet?

We're up to 15 pages (PC). Cyan better get here before we get to 25 or I lose my bet.
    09-07-2014 09:43 PM
    Are we there yet?

We're up to 15 pages (PC). Cyan better get here before we get to 25 or I lose my bet.
    I'll make a bet.
    I'll bet $100 dollars that if Nokia/MS released the updates (Cyan and WP8.1 and Denim) via Nokia Recovery Tool right now, today,
    that our phones will have zero issues with making calls or causing any issues on carrier networks.
    09-07-2014 10:21 PM
    The voice of a few can be silent, the voice of a 100 can wake a thousand
    the voice of a thousand becomes a roar, the voice of several thousand becomes an issue
    the voice of a 100,000+ to a company will become a problem
    the voice of 500,000+ that company is headed for disaster.
    the voice of a million, the company will cease to exist, unless it changes it's ways.

ergo Windows 8.x to Windows 9.

Trust me when I say, the carrier controlled updates days are numbered.
    09-07-2014 10:31 PM
    Is impressive how with every new firmware update they improve the camera in the phones, Nokia already have the best cameras of any smartphone and with every new update they make it even better....

Very impressive to me
    09-07-2014 11:36 PM
    You're right; I confused the Lumia Cyan update, which is obviously only for Nokia phones, with Win Mobile 8.1.
    damien_sandow_gif_by_theworldsonlyarf-d5p81e4.gif
    09-08-2014 12:25 AM
    Tepid, just how are you "destroying" the testing arguments? By saying they aren't true? We've had VZW folks come on here before and detail what Verizon does during testing. As an Engineer myself I can pretty much guarantee you that they found an issue they aren't willing to release with. Remember, this phone's primary use case is on CDMA, not GSM/LTE (in terms of voice). Why else would they delay the software? They don't exactly have a bumper crop of WP flagships to sell. It's this and the One (M8). And most current users are too early in to upgrade. Further, they don't care if you choose one or the other as long as you sign on to a long contract. So what's their motivation?

Knowing the stuff that can go wrong with radio tech, I'm much more inclined to believe that it's an issue that is causing this delay, as opposed to some sinister plot to make you hate your phone and want off their network for it (which is what these kind of antics would cause if they were doing it on purpose and people found out).
    09-08-2014 05:00 AM
    "Sinister plot" is much more entertaining than insights from an engineer. ๐Ÿ‘ป
    PAC757 and falconrap like this.
    09-08-2014 06:11 AM
    How would you feel if your ISP said they wouldn't allow you to update your PC/Tablet/ other hardware, till they checked it out and were good and ready to release them or even put a Wireless Switch in your house to run multiple computers.

Are you honestly going to stand for that? No, you won't.
    You can stop using this argument because it doesn't hold any water. What an ISP controls is access to their network, same as a wireless carrier. In the case of an ISP, it's the cable or DSL modem and in the case of a wireless carrier it's the phone/tablet/access dongle. Try using an unapproved modem with your ISP and see how they like it. They will tell you what standard your device has to comply to and if it doesn't, it doesn't get on the network.

ISPs don't care about your software updates on your computers because as far as they're concerned, that's your problem. They care about the connection working from the access point (modem) to their network, nothing at all on your side of the modem. Try calling up for tech support at your ISP for connection issues and the first thing they'll have you do is remove your computer from the router and plug it directly into the modem to try to prove that the problem is on your end so that they can wash their hands of it.

Wireless carriers don't have this luxury. Correctly or not, users blame the wireless carrier when a call gets dropped or their phone doesn't work as expected. They're probably even more gun shy now as users will blame them for loss of data on smart devices. They test these updates because they're covering their butts. Could they do it faster? Probably. Are they doing it for some nefarious purpose? I seriously doubt it. All of the fuss getting raised about updates is probably a major annoyance for some level of the company, an annoyance that costs them time and therefore money. They're testing these updates because they don't want these handsets costing them MORE money.
    09-08-2014 08:12 AM
    Here we go; another week of hoping.

It seems like my Icon is heating up a good bit more than it did when I first got DP. Not sure if this will (can?) be addressed by the Cyan firmware update, but I am crossing my fingers - the heat is getting irritating.
    09-08-2014 08:29 AM
    coming as comment # 366 in this thread....hopefully it will cross #930 before VZW releases Cyan :-)
    09-08-2014 08:36 AM
    So who really feels like today is going to be the day? I do lol. Fridays are the saddest for me because I know there is no update possibilities for two days
    09-08-2014 08:56 AM
    So who really feels like today is going to be the day? I do lol. Fridays are the saddest for me because I know there is no update possibilities for two days
    Being a Verizon customer is sad for me because I know there is no update possibility for two months.
    09-08-2014 09:17 AM
    Perhaps nothing till Denim update but who knows, anything and everything is possible
    09-08-2014 09:22 AM
    I remember thinking when i got the phone we were going to get Cyan in like May/June :P
    berty6294 and Chrono803 like this.
    09-08-2014 09:26 AM
    Verizon is planning to hold off for the release of Denim.

And then they will push through Cyan
    09-08-2014 09:35 AM
    Verizon is planning to hold off for the release of Denim.

And then they will push through Cyan
    Any you know this how?
    09-08-2014 09:49 AM
    Any you know this how?
    sarcasm

Sorry you missed it.
    09-08-2014 10:02 AM
    I remember thinking when i got the phone we were going to get Cyan in like May/June :P
    I think we all kinda assumed that, being the newest and most powerful WP8 phone in the US, The Icon would be one of the first to get Cyan/WP8.1. The notion that this exact hardware was also called the first official "WP8.1 hardware" at the announcement of the Nokia Lumia 930 added validity to that assumption.

Nope...

Perhaps nothing till Denim update but who knows, anything and everything is possible
    Ridiculous... The Icon needs WP8.1 to be competitive at all in the marketplace of iOS6 & Android. Verizon is crippling this phone.
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-08-2014 10:16 AM
1,870 ... 1314151617 ...