Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember 8.1 puts Windows Phone on par with Android and iOS. Without 8.1 a lot of basic Android and iOS features are not there. People now expect personal assistants, and notification centers. This is not an incremental upgrade. They are hindering sales of the Icon, Ativ Se and 928 by not upgrading to Cyan. I don't understand why they wouldn't upgrade to encourage sales.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
On top of that, a lot of the new apps won't run on 8.0 so they are hurting devs and MS directly. Big names like Fitbit & Wunderlist but to VZW, WP and BB are there just to say they have them all, but they aren't really interested in us as customers. If you go to a store, you won't find a salesperson that can answer WP questions and they don't carry accessories.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If you go to a store, you won't find a salesperson that can answer WP questions and they don't carry accessories.
I disagree, this totally depends on the store and maybe even your area. When I walked into the one Verizon corp. store in my town to get my icon a few days after release they not only knew all about it, but said all the reps were using one to get them used to it. The rep helping me pulled out his icon and said he loved it. He was actually concerned that I was sure I wanted a windows phone as it being my first one. He made sure I understood the return policy time frame just in case I changed my mind and decided it wasn't for me after all. The options available were many, From various cases to the Bluetooth speakers. I know this store is maybe not the norm and maybe its my area(central Oregon), but I've never been treated anything but fantastic no matter which device I'm getting and everyone seems knowledgeable. FWIW, they also had a display of WP's out right as you walk in, first ones in view. The next corp store 15 miles north in the next town is the same way. So my point is it really does depend on where your at and at which store and possibly who is managing the place.
Two weeks ago I sold the icon and got the M8. Same great in store experience. Only this time I got an apple fan for a rep. I was able to tell him a couple of good reasons why I liked WP. He never once steered me toward anything else and just said its great there are so many choices and to enjoy my new M8. Again, right as I walked into the store there the M8 was on display.
Just my .02

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I know this store is maybe not the norm

Right. Because it's a corporate store. AT&T and the Verizon corporate stores I've been to have been pretty decent. EVERY OTHER store has been crap. And most people don't buy their phones in corporate carrier stores.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
When I went into a Verizon store a few weeks ago I told the rep I wanted the Icon. She went in the back and was there for a while. Upon finally returning she had 2 different windows phones and said she didn't know which one I wanted.

She really didn't have a clue and in speaking with her, she said I was only the 2nd person that she had sold a Windows phone to. I find that hard to believe but then again, she was pretty clueless about them.

No big deal really as I walked out with a working phone but I can say with some certainty that they would not even mention the phone to new customers.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When I went into a Verizon store a few weeks ago I told the rep I wanted the Icon. She went in the back and was there for a while. Upon finally returning she had 2 different windows phones and said she didn't know which one I wanted.

She really didn't have a clue and in speaking with her, she said I was only the 2nd person that she had sold a Windows phone to. I find that hard to believe but then again, she was pretty clueless about them.

No big deal really as I walked out with a working phone but I can say with some certainty that they would not even mention the phone to new customers.
When I wanted to buy the Icon in April, I went to two franchise store, one mall cart type "store" and finally the corporate Verizon store. The first three places had zero Windows Phones on display. I only asked in the first store and he really had no idea what I was asking about. The corporate store was great, they had a decent WP setup with the Ativ SE and the Icon next to each other on a bigger display somewhat noticeable. There were a few people there looking and one other than me buying. I knew what I wanted going in, not sure if anyone would have directed me towards the WPs.

But unless you go to a corporate store and know what you want, or buy a 520/521 as a prepaid option somewhere, you're not going to become a WP user. Simple as that.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Right. Because it's a corporate store. AT&T and the Verizon corporate stores I've been to have been pretty decent. EVERY OTHER store has been crap. And most people don't buy their phones in corporate carrier stores.
^this, the difference between corporate stores and local VZW stores has been night and day in my experience, the problem is the local VZW stores are all over the place compared to the corporate locations in my area

corporate: knowledgeable about phones other than iPhone and Droid and have models to look at

local VZW: no idea about WP or have any models to look at and try to steer you toward iPhones and or whatever Droid is the flavor of the week at that moment

I have 2 local VZW stores within 2 miles of my house and the corporate store is @25 miles away, I do most of my ordering online and make a special trip to the corporate store if I want to get hands on with a phone and don't even bother going to my local VZW stores because it is just waste of time imho

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Point taken. It's confusing tho when posters lump it all into a "store" experience.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's at 13 now using a PC. I'll go with 17 since I'm optimistic about it being released next week.

I'm going with 30....For some odd reason, I don't think we are getting Cyan, we are getting Denim, and they are going to make us wait a while for that. If we don't see it by the end of the month, I would bet that would be the reason.

There really isn't an excuse for not releasing it by now unless that is what their plan is...

The Nokia ICON *IS* Verizon's flagship Windows Phone...

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The Nokia ICON *IS* Verizon's flagship Windows Phone...

Forum members may say this but is that what Verizon thinks? Usually they tend to call their latest and greatest(M8)the flagship. I've had both and they are both flagship worthy status, but lets face it the icon was released almost 7 months ago.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Forum members may say this but is that what Verizon thinks? Usually they tend to call their latest and greatest(M8)the flagship. I've had both and they are both flagship worthy status, but lets face it the icon was released almost 7 months ago.
Its a shame because I have both as well and keep wanting to go back to the Icon (for the camera) but it needs a lot of firmware help to catch up to the M8.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have read a few posts here and other forums where people think that Verizon is going to skip Cyan and go straight to Denim, that would be great... BUT if they were going to do that you would think that they would already have some plan in place, if this is true they could at least release a statement saying something, anything. They say and do nothing, this is what pisses people off.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have read a few posts here and other forums where people think that Verizon is going to skip Cyan and go straight to Denim, that would be great... BUT if they were going to do that you would think that they would already have some plan in place, if this is true they could at least release a statement saying something, anything. They say and do nothing, this is what pisses people off.

Same old Verizon crap....it's always been this way and it will probably always be this way.....

Still wonder why they could not give a "We are doing this but, coming very soon"....No exact date and a large range and would at least make customers happy, Hey ! We Are getting this update !

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Take all of that with a grain of salt. Until actual FACTUAL information is released, those posts are nothing but gossip.

As far as Verizon being tight lipped. What information did AT&T release prior to pushing out WP8.1? NONE! It just released it.

Finally, everybody is complaining about how Verizon is LAST to release updates. If you take a look at the which US Carriers have released WP8.1/Cyan, AT&T is the ONLY one. T-Mobile, Cricket, and Metro PCS haven't pushed out the update either.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
As far as Verizon being tight lipped. What information did AT&T release prior to pushing out WP8.1? NONE! It just released it.

But they did... Less than a week after Microsoft announced that they were rolling it out, AT&T had communicated publicly. http://www.windowscentral.com/att-may-rollout-windows-phone-81-this-week

It may have only been a forum post by a community manager. But it was useful and true information.

Have you been to the Verizon Community site? There are multiple threads asking about what the deal is with this update. You know what the responses are? Some iFan troll antagonizing the WP8 users. And the occasional "We're as excited about this update as you are!" From Verizon's reps.

Not a morsel of information.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
But they did... Less than a week after Microsoft announced that they were rolling it out, AT&T had communicated publicly. AT&T may rollout Windows Phone 8.1 update 'as early as this week' | Windows Phone Central

It may have only been a forum post by a community manager. But it was useful and true information.

Have you been to the Verizon Community site? There are multiple threads asking about what the deal is with this update. You know what the responses are? Some iFan troll antagonizing the WP8 users. And the occasional "We're as excited about this update as you are!" From Verizon's reps.

Not a morsel of information.

Yes. I read that. It was NOT an official AT&T information release. The article's writer also states "file this as rumor." It was an unofficial info release by an AT&T employee, with the caveat saying that it was her opinion ONLY. Did the rumor pan out? Yes, but that is besides the point. That employee risked her job and her credibility by leaking that info. Her job, because I'm pretty sure she signed a non-disclosure agreement; her credibility because had AT&T pushed back the release date she would have been eating her words.

Yes, I've been to the Verizon forums and it is laughable, the amount of whining and complaining going on. People ranting about breach of contract and all that garbage. Check your contract, nowhere does it say that Verizon is required to give you or anybody else timely updates; or updates at all. It is the typical, "I want my stuff now, if not sooner" mentality that has come to define our society.

P.S. Are we there yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo