10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    You must wear the dunce cap until Verizon releases WP8.1/Cyan. So maybe another two or three months?
    Doh! Come on Big Red! Let's goooo....I don't look good in dunce caps.
    09-09-2014 01:46 PM
    You must wear the dunce cap until Verizon releases WP8.1/Cyan. So maybe another two or three months?
    Might have to wear it forever because the rumor is....that Verizon is skipping over Cyan and going directly to Denim.... :)

So we might never actually see Cyan...
    09-09-2014 02:40 PM
    Did you guys see the latest WPCentral article? "Verizon HTC 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1 in late October", and nothing on the Icon!! What the ??? Verizon???!!!
    09-09-2014 03:36 PM
    I would be okay with skipping to Denim so we can get the new Lumia Camera goodies!
    09-09-2014 03:41 PM
    I'd be fine with waiting for Denim if Verizon would just tell us that's what's going on. The silence is the most annoying part. Heck, Denim may be out before we'd get Cyan anyway.
    09-09-2014 03:54 PM
    Might have to wear it forever because the rumor is....that Verizon is skipping over Cyan and going directly to Denim.... :)

So we might never actually see Cyan...
    *sigh* Gee...isn't THAT heart warming.

Actually, I think Cyan will come then Denim. Amber rolled out about this time last year with Black following in Jan/Feb of this year. I think the hold up isn't Cyan specific. I think it's the WP8.1 side of it. Going from WP8.0 to WP8.1 is a more significant version update than going from Amber/WP8.0 GDR2 to Black/WP8.0 GDR3 or Cyan/WP8.1 Update 1 to Denim/WP8.1 Update 2 (or whatever they will call it).
    09-09-2014 04:18 PM
    I don't think we'll get Cyan and Denim together either. But if we do it won't be for months.
    09-09-2014 04:47 PM
    Hmmm... I don't think that is the case. We already have the ability to do voice over LTE with apps like Vonage and Skype (which does video too). To some of you this may sound like an over simplification, but, VoLTE is the same as VoIP except running over a LTE data network versus a "traditional" internet connection.
    I think you misunderstand. VoLTE is an standards initiative that the carriers are prepping for as an eventual transition away from the current voice technology. Once the network is ready, those with VoLTE enabled phones will be able to enjoy the benefits of that standard during calls to others with VoLTE enabled phones. This will only work on WP devices with a Snapdragon 80x or higher processor and WP8.1 Update 1. For WP right now, that is only one device, the newly released HTC One M8 for Windows.

If they want to advertise this service as a Verizon perk (as they did with XLTE), having as many devices available for the service as possible makes sense, at least to me anyway. In fact, they've already gone on record saying the number of devices is important. So we're waiting on Update 1 to be tested, not just 8.1 (which AT&T phones have). And to be tested with their new VoLTE network upgrades.
    09-09-2014 06:15 PM
    We, my wife and I are sick and tired of being sick and tired of our Icon's. I just want to smash it with a hammer every time I go to wake it up and have to wait 10 secs while it's resuming before I even get to the lock screen. We are on DP and have all the latest updates. Battery life sucks, wifi is weak, Bluetooth is hit or miss very annoying. Could be a great phone but we are ready to change.
    I will give it till the end of the year ( my wife wants to leave now) and if it's not better we are done with windows. We came from Iphones never had any problems just wanted to try something new, so far we regret it. We are thinking of trying out android system next. Just no enjoyment when you curse your phone every time you pick it up. Just my thoughts on the Icon.
    09-09-2014 06:16 PM
    We, my wife and I are sick and tired of being sick and tired of our Icon's. I just want to smash it with a hammer every time I go to wake it up and have to wait 10 secs while it's resuming before I even get to the lock screen. We are on DP and have all the latest updates. Battery life sucks, wifi is weak, Bluetooth is hit or miss very annoying. Could be a great phone but we are ready to change.
    I will give it till the end of the year ( my wife wants to leave now) and if it's not better we are done with windows. We came from Iphones never had any problems just wanted to try something new, so far we regret it. We are thinking of trying out android system next. Just no enjoyment when you curse your phone every time you pick it up. Just my thoughts on the Icon.
    Again, by not releasing updates for this phone, Verizon is further stifling the WP8 marketshare in the US.
    PAC757 and Kieta like this.
    09-09-2014 06:36 PM
    The developers preview is not a finished product.
    downgrade your phone to 8.0 and you will be happier with the Icon

I was running DP on mine and didn't realize the problems I was having until I downgraded.
    WiFi, Bluetooth, battery life and slow startup.
    my icon is a great phone now. I'll waite for the official upgrade to come out.
    Tjarren and RSailer like this.
    09-09-2014 06:37 PM
    The developers preview is not a finished product.
    downgrade your phone to 8.0 and you will be happier with the Icon

I was running DP on mine and didn't realize the problems I was having until I downgraded.
    WiFi, Bluetooth, battery life and slow startup.
    my icon is a great phone now. I'll waite for the official upgrade to come out.
    I agree. If you're having that many problems, either downgrade to WP8 or try doing a hard reset on WP8.1.

But it's not that the Developer Preview isn't the finished project, it's that the finished project needs the updated firmware, Cyan, in order to play nicely with the hardware.
    09-09-2014 06:53 PM
    Again, by not releasing updates for this phone, Verizon is further stifling the WP8 marketshare in the US.
    Yes they are, we use Verizon at work and have 127 phones with them 126 are Android and iPhone I have the only Windows phone. I did get 3 other people to try WP last time we renewed 2 didn't like it the other liked it just hated Verizon and went to AT&T and bought a 925 for his personal phone and went back to Android for his Verizon work phone.
    09-09-2014 08:07 PM
    So, I really think we're waiting till Oct. The HTC announcement seems a little telling, they have a release date set. They didn't say, "pending approval" or "pending testing". There is no reason why they would need to wait other than VZW. So, I'm sure the Icon will wait too. :( Denim will come later, VZW plays it safe and is very conservative with changes. Something else that I think people missed, at least a couple pages back TC hinted that we had to wait because of VZW. He's had some good insight in the past with the 928 as he works for VZW corporate.

I understand the need to test updates, but to delay it's release for marketing reasons is not acceptable. Unfortunately MS doesn't have the clout to push carriers around and VZW doesn't care about customers. Think we could barrage VZW social media with negative comments enough they'd care?
    09-10-2014 07:13 AM
    Think we could barrage VZW social media with negative comments enough they'd care?
    From my dealing with Verizon on our business account at work for the past 7 years, I really don't think Verizon cares, and I honestly think that they have the "were the number 1 carrier in the US" attitude towards their customers, I refuse to use Verizon for my personal phones, even with our corporate discount, I pay less on AT&T than I would on Verizon, I have better coverage, I can use any GSM phone I want to, and after 10 years with AT&T I've only once had a problem with them and it was resolved quickly and satisfactory. Not ranting on Verizon, just stating facts with years of experience with each of these providers.
    09-10-2014 07:49 AM
    my contract with verizon ends in december, does att have an icon or better equivalent? can i use the 930 on att?
    09-10-2014 08:56 AM
    my contract with verizon ends in december, does att have an icon or better equivalent? can i use the 930 on att?
    Please don't take this the wrong way....Did you even look at the thread ? There are MANY discussions on using the ICON on AT&T or TMOUS....I'm a Verizon customer but, I believe the only problem is you don't get LTE on AT&T...but, that could of been changed... Look it up...

AT&T has the 1520, same phone but, with a 6" display...a big phone...
    09-10-2014 09:06 AM
    Well, if it doesn't come this week I'm doing a hard reset. Hopefully it will resolve my connect/disconnect wifi problem I've been having at home. If it doesn't I'll downgrade to 8.0. But I sure will miss DP 8.1. :(
    09-10-2014 09:55 AM
    Well, if it doesn't come this week I'm doing a hard reset. Hopefully it will resolve my connect/disconnect wifi problem I've been having at home. If it doesn't I'll downgrade to 8.0. But I sure will miss DP 8.1. :(
    I still have a MAJOR heat problem on mine (Use for more than 5 min at a sitting and it's almost uncomfortable to hold). If I hard reset I lose a lot of save games and other things. I only want to do this once, so I have to deal with a really FREAKING hot phone till Verizon gets off their A$$ and actually releases it....

The way the rumor mill is going, I would not count on it this week or even next week :(
    09-10-2014 10:09 AM
    The way the rumor mill is going, I would not count on it this week or even next week :(
    Since I saw the news yesterday about how it's not coming for HTC phones until the end of October, I decided to just get the Dev Preview of 8.1. I have been having connectivity issues the past few weeks and hoped that the update would come to help fix that. Even though I'm still seeing issues I think the update may have helped a bit. Perhaps the Cyan update will help even more...
    09-10-2014 11:00 AM
    Microsoft's Lumia 735 is coming to Verizon Wireless | Windows Phone Central

Well if it wasn't clear before, it is now. Verizon is holding off updating their current Lumia line to Cyan/WP8.1 for the sake of sales of the HTC One M8 and now the Lumia 735.

Verizon will have a mid-end Lumia with Cyan on it before their high end, Lumia Icon gets it. And they've been "testing" it for how many months?

Infuriatingly misguided business practices.
    PAC757 likes this.
    09-10-2014 11:33 AM
    Microsoft's Lumia 735 is coming to Verizon Wireless | Windows Phone Central

Well if it wasn't clear before, it is now. Verizon is holding off updating their current Lumia line to Cyan/WP8.1 for the sake of sales of the HTC One M8 and now the Lumia 735.

Verizon will have a mid-end Lumia with Cyan on it before their high end, Lumia Icon gets it. And they've been "testing" it for how many months?

Infuriatingly misguided business practices.
    Pure speculation on your part.

This entire thread is a massive downer with nothing but negativity. How about just enjoying the phone and speak with enthusiasm about what's coming?

Kind of a bummer to check this thread and read nothing but rants..
    DavidinCT likes this.
    09-10-2014 12:52 PM
    From my dealing with Verizon on our business account at work for the past 7 years, I really don't think Verizon cares, and I honestly think that they have the "were the number 1 carrier in the US" attitude towards their customers, I refuse to use Verizon for my personal phones, even with our corporate discount, I pay less on AT&T than I would on Verizon, I have better coverage, I can use any GSM phone I want to, and after 10 years with AT&T I've only once had a problem with them and it was resolved quickly and satisfactory. Not ranting on Verizon, just stating facts with years of experience with each of these providers.
    I agree, Verizon is arrogant. The problem in our area is they have the best/only coverage hands down. It's a little better on the business side with a $200k/month bill, but they still don't listen much. If enough people make a stink, it starts to trickle out and social media is pretty high profile these days. Companies are paying lots of $$ to manage their image on social media. So, you never know.
    09-10-2014 12:53 PM
    This entire thread is a massive downer with nothing but negativity. How about just enjoying the phone and speak with enthusiasm about what's coming?

Kind of a bummer to check this thread and read nothing but rants..
    Agreed! However I particularly enjoy Mr. Stinguish's bashing of anyone who posts silly rumors as fact and other inaccurate foolishness.

I love my Lumia with stable WP8. I'd like whisper sweet nothings to Cortana but I can live with out her since the voice search gives great Bing results. I don't have a problem with the update delay since Cyan and/or Denim are right around the corner and we'll probably get WP9 Egg Salad and WP9.1 Fish Tacos too.

Verizon isn't so bad either. I manage my company's corporate acct - our assigned sales goons bend over backwards to get us what we want. Incidentally, the Icon is sold out and on backorder until the 18th. I'm trying to get my assigned goon to honor the recent $0 sale price for the icon and at the same time find out more on the Cyan release date - which could be tomorrow!
    raqball likes this.
    09-10-2014 01:19 PM
    Meh

Me thinks when the firmware drops it will be a TUESDAY.

but that's what me does.

me sits, and me thinks.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    09-10-2014 01:21 PM
1,870 ... 1617181920 ...