The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    That didn't really have anything to do with Bitlocker though. So I'm not sure it plays out as smoothly when it comes to WP8.1 updates.
    no but it shows Verizon has the capability on its own to deny firmware updates to OS versions of its choice.
    09-12-2014 12:04 PM
    Nope
    So, to answer the question.... The ICON *MIGHT* not need to go back to 8.0 to install Cyan Because we *MIGHT* of gotten the fix on the last update :)
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    09-12-2014 12:11 PM
    So, to answer the question.... The ICON *MIGHT* not need to go back to 8.0 to install Cyan Because we *MIGHT* of gotten the fix on the last update :)
    I suppose so. Regardless, I'm doing a hard reset when the official update comes out.
    aximtreo likes this.
    09-12-2014 12:14 PM
    I suppose so. Regardless, I'm doing a hard reset when the official update comes out.
    me too
    09-12-2014 12:42 PM
    Same here after the new update comes down unless I am forced to before.....finish up a game or 2 that I am at the end of....and then I will be hard resetting too...

Who knows but, I do hope the Fix was in the last update or, comes before Cyan/Denim comes down...

We've been there before on a major update (if you go back to WP7 days) one or 2 of the updates came down in 2-3 updates and needing a reboot between them.....

At this point I would not really worry about the Fix coming down...
    09-12-2014 12:53 PM
    ....and then I will be hard resetting too...
    Any reason for the hard reset or just to start it off on a clean OS install?
    09-12-2014 01:20 PM
    Here's a Tweet from Nokia today to a person that asked about getting Cortana on the Icon: "Well Denim is rolling out in q4, 2014 and the Icon is one of the few to get the full benefits of that update so soon! :)" So Denim will come out in a month or two, but I suspect the Icon will be one of the devices that gets it first. While we got stiffed on Cyan, we'll probably be ahead of the game on Denim. At least that's how I'm reading it. Then we'll get Denim for about a year and the life cycle of our Icons will come to an end just in time to wait for Corduroy or perhaps Polyester.
    09-12-2014 01:36 PM
    lol nice touch with the Corduroy. Problem is I'm not entirely sure that Microsoft and Verizon are on the same page with firmware updates. Nokia used to talk about the Icon getting cyan in their marketing materials, but look where we are.

Is funny how we're now at 22 pages, it's not that big a deal really. I'd just love to get sensor core and bluetooth LE back so I can use my treasure tag.
    09-12-2014 02:20 PM
    Any reason for the hard reset or just to start it off on a clean OS install?
    I have a heat issue (read back a page or to on my post) and it's said that it should fix the problem but, I am not going to reset my phone a bunch of times, I lose data when I do it so one time is enough.

And yes, I would like to get a clean start on it, hard reset....I will restore due to wanting to keep texts...
    09-12-2014 02:30 PM
    I have a heat issue (read back a page or to on my post) and it's said that it should fix the problem but, I am not going to reset my phone a bunch of times, I lose data when I do it so one time is enough.

And yes, I would like to get a clean start on it, hard reset....I will restore due to wanting to keep texts...
    Ahhh, that's right. I may have to do the same to see if that fixes my connectivity issues so I may be right there with you on all of this.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    09-12-2014 03:27 PM
    Here's a Tweet from Nokia today to a person that asked about getting Cortana on the Icon: "Well Denim is rolling out in q4, 2014 and the Icon is one of the few to get the full benefits of that update so soon! :)" So Denim will come out in a month or two, but I suspect the Icon will be one of the devices that gets it first. While we got stiffed on Cyan, we'll probably be ahead of the game on Denim. At least that's how I'm reading it. Then we'll get Denim for about a year and the life cycle of our Icons will come to an end just in time to wait for Corduroy or perhaps Polyester.
    Yeah, sure. I've been with Verizon for quite some time now and they'll get the release in q4 and begin testing. We'll see it sometime next summer if we're lucky.

I'm guessing the next version will be Ecru (Black, Cyan, Denim... all colors).
    09-12-2014 08:53 PM
    I have no trust that anyone in Nokia's Twitter department knows anything, but I'm dying to be proven wrong. Q4 starts in less than 3 weeks. Let's hope.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    09-12-2014 09:56 PM
    I have no trust that anyone in Nokia's any company's Twitter department knows anything, but I'm dying to be proven wrong. Q4 starts in less than 3 weeks. Let's hope.
    FWIW, my Icon on WP8 runs hot too. I think it is a side effect of jamming a fast quad core, 2GB of memory, what could be a slightly older spec 1080p screen (saw in the Anand 930 review comments, someone speculating that it might be the same/similar panel to the S4 which was pretty power hungry) etc, etc, into a small area.
    09-13-2014 09:48 AM
    Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim ..... seems to be a pattern here and it's not retro pants materials ...
    09-13-2014 08:27 PM
    Just chiming in:

I've been bouncing around between 8.0 and 8.1 DP and I can certainly attest that WiFi is awful on DP, at least in my situation. On 8.1 I was getting maybe 5Mbps down but now back on 8.0 I'm getting 21Mbps which is approx what I pay for.
    09-14-2014 08:04 AM
    Just chiming in:

I've been bouncing around between 8.0 and 8.1 DP and I can certainly attest that WiFi is awful on DP, at least in my situation. On 8.1 I was getting maybe 5Mbps down but now back on 8.0 I'm getting 21Mbps which is approx what I pay for.
    Yeah, since going back to 8.0 my wifi connection has been better so far. Haven't had the disconnect and re-connection problem I had on 8.1 DP. But there's so much I miss about 8.1. Also battery life has been better.
    Last edited by Kieta; 09-14-2014 at 12:14 PM.
    09-14-2014 11:38 AM
    Yeah, since going back to 8.0 my wifi connection has been better so far. Haven't had the disconnect and re-connection problem I had on 8.1 DP. But there's so much I miss about 8.1.
    That was one of the main reasons (and the phone heating up and battery drain) why I went back to 8.0 from the DP, a hard reset helped to alleviate the problems some but not enough for me to be confident using my phone on a daily basis with DP installed

I have none of the problems with WiFi connectivity, the phone heating up, and battery drain with 8.0 but I do miss many of the features of 8.1

This long delay of Cyan/8.1 may be because Verizon ran into some of those same problems with the update and they are having problems trying to resolve them
    raqball and Kieta like this.
    09-14-2014 12:26 PM
    That was one of the main reasons (and the phone heating up and battery drain) why I went back to 8.0 from the DP, a hard reset helped to alleviate the problems some but not enough for me to be confident using my phone on a daily basis with DP installed

I have none of the problems with WiFi connectivity, the phone heating up, and battery drain with 8.0 but I do miss many of the features of 8.1

This long delay of Cyan/8.1 may be because Verizon ran into some of those same problems with the update and they are having problems trying to resolve them
    Same here.. My Icon on 8 has been solid! No WiFi issues, no heat, everything works great..

I am looking forward to 8.1 but I also want Verizon to take their time with it and release it in a rock solid state. Can you imagine the posts and threads if they released it in a bug infested state?

Like you, I am happy to wait for 8.1..
    09-14-2014 12:43 PM
    In this forum its just venting. Just my opinion.
    I don't believe Verizon is paying much attention in here.
    You want to hit them at home.
    Facebook, twitter. Places like that they will have to take some notice.

I could be wrong but this is my opinion
    They don't even respond on Twitter, I've trying. Can't get a response from them for nothing.
    09-14-2014 01:46 PM
    I'm just posting to get the page number up to appease to the update gods..
    09-14-2014 03:24 PM
    Verizon usually is last with their updates, but I can say, they are usually free of bugs when they do.
    Sent from my Verizon Icon
    09-14-2014 03:49 PM
    I've never had a smart phone however, 2 months ago I decided I would buy an icon as soon as 8.1/cyan came out.

I am still waiting and now verizon says I can get the latest os and a new iphone in 4 weeks but there is not a single windows phone at this particular dealer that has the latest windows software. The icon was released earlier this year and the software released a month or two ago.

I actually like windows stuff and am not an apple fan. But read this forum for just 10 minutes and it appears that either verizon and/or microsoft has this entire phone software in chaos. You need to spend an hour a day trying to figure out which phone at which service provider can have the update and then determine which bugs are on that phone.

Yes. I could buy the phone and go to the developer site and get half of the updates (8.1) but I want to own a phone that is a tool not a hobby/job to figure out. Is this the process microsoft plans to use to capture an additional portion of the smart phone market?
    09-14-2014 04:29 PM
    I've never had a smart phone however, 2 months ago I decided I would buy an icon as soon as 8.1/cyan came out.

I am still waiting and now verizon says I can get the latest os and a new iphone in 4 weeks but there is not a single windows phone at this particular dealer that has the latest windows software. The icon was released earlier this year and the software released a month or two ago.

I actually like windows stuff and am not an apple fan. But read this forum for just 10 minutes and it appears that either verizon and/or microsoft has this entire phone software in chaos. You need to spend an hour a day trying to figure out which phone at which service provider can have the update and then determine which bugs are on that phone.

Yes. I could buy the phone and go to the developer site and get half of the updates (8.1) but I want to own a phone that is a tool not a hobby/job to figure out. Is this the process microsoft plans to use to capture an additional portion of the smart phone market?
    The HTC One M8 on Verizon does come with 8.1. Not sure if you meant no Nokia phones on Verizon have 8.1 or not. Depending on how 8.1/Cyan does on the Icon once released I may pick one of those up.
    09-14-2014 05:28 PM
    since Cyan is coming out so "late" on the Icon, I wonder if Verizon will just skip that firmware and go straight to Denim.

Of if the Denim installation depends on Cyan being present first
    09-14-2014 05:42 PM
    8.1/Cortana is a dramatic improvement over 8.0, the HTC One M8 running 8.1 is pretty sweet. My ICON is currently collecting dust until 8.1 rolls out, or I need to take a high quality photo.
    09-14-2014 07:03 PM
1,870 ... 2021222324 ...