10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 2425262728 ...
tools
    Good luck with ATT. They are just as bad. I left in June after 15+ years dealing with their junk. And be prepared to pay more a month.
    09-16-2014 07:19 PM
    Been on DP ever since I got my icon. No issues, other than the lack of BT LE. If that's what's holding you back, then your complaints are understandable. If not, then get to it and register.

I am holding back because I've been told by those at Microsoft and Verizon that it would void my warranty : (
    09-16-2014 08:12 PM
    I am holding back because I've been told by those at Microsoft and Verizon that it would void my warranty : (
    That is not entirely true, and it all depends on who you speak to
    If the phone is trashed and won't turn on, how are they going to know in the first place.
    It's a scare tactic my Verizon and an uninformed MS person.

First off, it's an OS update, not a hardware update
    If their are any issues with hardware, they can't technically deny the warranty due to an OS update.
    Will they try to weezle themselves out of it? Yeah, probably.

That's like Dell telling you that your warranty is void over all if you decide to update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1on the PC you got Windows with. This doesn't happen.

If they are allowed to do that, then there are some SERIOUS changes that need to be made legislatively.

I keep saying it and people need to get it through their heads...

Cell Phones are no long Phones that happen to connect to the internet
    They are Hand Held Computers that happen to make phone calls.
    09-16-2014 08:23 PM
    Thanks for sharing?
    You're welcome?

Good luck with ATT. They are just as bad. I left in June after 15+ years dealing with their junk. And be prepared to pay more a month.
    I've already negotiated a contract with a rep at AT&T. I'd pay $10 less per month than what I'm currently getting with my "loyalty" plan on Verizon. And while I was in the store, I had a chance to check out their WP8's, the 1520, 1020, and 635 were all boldly displayed at the front and center of the store. And they all had Cyan/Wp8.1 loaded on them. I've also tested AT&T's network in my area the last couple weeks. Really not a major difference in quality/coverage as compared to Verizon.

Seems like a big step up for me. And I too have been with my carrier, Verizon, for 15 years.

Hopmedic wrote a good piece of that subject. Might interest you. http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...view-void.html
    09-16-2014 08:44 PM
    Amen!
    09-16-2014 08:46 PM
    Well, I lost my bet. We're at 25 pages and still no WP8.1/Cyan.

Are we there yet?

P.S. And I still wearing this stupid dunce cap!
    Last edited by gernerttl; 09-16-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    nunyazz and Indistinguishable like this.
    09-16-2014 08:49 PM
    You're welcome?

I've already negotiated a contract with a rep at AT&T. I'd pay $10 less per month than what I'm currently getting with my "loyalty" plan on Verizon. And while I was in the store, I had a chance to check out their WP8's, the 1520, 1020, and 635 were all boldly displayed at the front and center of the store. And they all had Cyan/Wp8.1 loaded on them. I've also tested AT&T's network in my area the last couple weeks. Really not a major difference in quality/coverage as compared to Verizon.

Seems like a big step up for me. And I too have been with my carrier, Verizon, for 15 years.

Hopmedic wrote a good piece of that subject. Might interest you. http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...view-void.html
    if you go to att what will you replace your icon with?
    09-16-2014 09:24 PM
    verizon crap.. i hate
    09-16-2014 09:30 PM
    if you go to att what will you replace your icon with?
    Good question. I have two options.

1.) Use my Icon on AT&T until a new phone comes out so that I can use my new contract upgrade.
    2.) Sell my Icon and pick up a 1520.3 - which is a fantastic phone, IMO. Then I can still use the upgrade in early 2015 when the next Microsoft flagship hopefully comes out.
    09-16-2014 09:42 PM
    Aaaaaaaand my clothes just went outta style.
    09-16-2014 09:43 PM
    That is not entirely true, and it all depends on who you speak to
    If the phone is trashed and won't turn on, how are they going to know in the first place.
    It's a scare tactic my Verizon and an uninformed MS person.

First off, it's an OS update, not a hardware update
    If their are any issues with hardware, they can't technically deny the warranty due to an OS update.
    Will they try to weezle themselves out of it? Yeah, probably.

That's like Dell telling you that your warranty is void over all if you decide to update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1on the PC you got Windows with. This doesn't happen.

If they are allowed to do that, then there are some SERIOUS changes that need to be made legislatively.

I keep saying it and people need to get it through their heads...

Cell Phones are no long Phones that happen to connect to the internet
    They are Hand Held Computers that happen to make phone calls.
    Oops! I Amened the wrong post. I meant to Amen this one.

Amen!

:-D
    nunyazz likes this.
    09-16-2014 10:22 PM
    Use my Icon on AT&T until a new phone comes out so that I can use my new contract upgrade.
    Wont you lose LTE (at least until you upgrade)?
    09-16-2014 10:30 PM
    Wont you lose LTE (at least until you upgrade)?
    Yep. The Icon does not have the bands for LTE on AT&T. But I don't really think it'd be that big of a loss. I'm on Wi-Fi most of the day. And when I'm not, 3G will suffice for the time being.
    09-17-2014 06:38 AM
    Tcman is an insider who has delivered quality information to these forums on multiple occasions. He also has served WPCentral forum members by checking things like Verizon inventory in the past. If he definitively says that the reason the Icon doesn't have Cyan/8.1 is an exclusivity agreement with HTC, then that's the reason. And yeah, it's pretty crappy.

Tc, any word on how much longer than exclusivity agreement is in place?
    It ends this month. When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust. I guess trying to boost the sale of one phone at the cost of others
    09-17-2014 07:13 AM
    It ends this month. When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust. I guess trying to boost the sale of one phone at the cost of others
    My mind immediately thinks that actions like this will hurt the platform just a little bit more. The exclusivity of the phone only being on one carrier for the time being as well as a deal to be the only phone on the carrier with 8.1. way to attract customers verizon /s. but then again its verizon so it shouldn't surprise any of us.
    09-17-2014 08:33 AM
    And after two years your "negotiated contract" will be null and void and they will force you to a higher plan. Is what they did to me. No longer did the offer my unlimited data plan, my voice plan w/more than 1K of rollover minutes and my messaging plan. But hey.. they have a great mobile share plan which would increase my bill by $30. And I didn't have anyone to share with. Why pay more for something you can't and won't use?
    And every Nokia cell/phablet they have the wireless charging has been removed.
    09-17-2014 08:54 AM
    Noticed on Verizon's store online that if you order an Icon now you won't get it till 9.26? It's the same kind of badge they have up on the iPhone 6 for the delays. Surely they aren't out of stock of the Icon? Perhaps they're waiting to mail out online orders until Cyan or Denim is out?
    Seribble2013 likes this.
    09-17-2014 09:18 AM
    Noticed on Verizon's store online that if you order an Icon now you won't get it till 9.26? It's the same kind of badge they have up on the iPhone 6 for the delays. Surely they aren't out of stock of the Icon? Perhaps they're waiting to mail out online orders until Cyan or Denim is out?
    Or what the Verizon insider 3 posts above you just stated.

09-17-2014 09:21 AM
    Or what the Verizon insider 3 posts above you just stated.
    My guess is it's both. It makes sense that they'd wait to replenish the available inventory of the Icon until Cyan is out because they'll be shipping with Cyan/8.1 pre-loaded.

Be careful with this Cyan + Denim nonsense. It's really not how Verizon works. We'll get Denim sometime in December.
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-17-2014 09:32 AM
    IOS 8 comes out today....oh crap wrong thread.
    daniel329, nunyazz and wpfan2be like this.
    09-17-2014 09:32 AM
    Are we there yet?
    09-17-2014 10:22 AM
    If you can inform the correct people tell them this is not acceptable and I will be going to AT&T as soon as I see a replacement for the 1520. I'm hesitant to buy a 1 year old phone at this point. There is no reason to make current owners suffer in an attempt to push the new phones. I buy the phone for the phone and I won't buy it just so I can get an update. I used to hate AT&T, but over the last few years (and I think its thanks to T-Mobile), they seem to have improved greatly. Verizon on the other hand seems to have taken on the old AT&T attitudes and has only gotten worse. Also AT&T seems to genuinely care about WP where as Verizon couldn't give a crap. 1530/1525 (whatever they call it) and I'm gone.

09-17-2014 10:56 AM
    It's because of HTC One and no Cyan until the exclusivity is over.
    I know a lot of us have said it, but these exclusivity deals do nothing but hurt the consumer. I don't understand how denying customers you already have an update inspires them to buy a new device from you especially when you have most of them locked into a contract on the device you won't update. Maybe it's just me, but I also don't see it bringing in many customers from other carriers. If exclusivity worked I'd be on AT&T with a 920 then Verizon with a 928 then AT&T with a 1020 then maybe back to Verizon for an Icon. It's not realistic to expect customers to switch like that.

Anyway, my rant is over now. I hate to bug tcman, but do you know if testing is done and we'll get it promptly after the exclusivity ends or will we be waiting til the end of October to beginning of November like 8x users?
    09-17-2014 11:02 AM
    Well, I lost my bet. We're at 25 pages and still no WP8.1/Cyan.

Are we there yet?

P.S. And I still wearing this stupid dunce cap!
    Aaaaaaaand my clothes just went outta style.
    On the bright side, the "Bugs & Defects" thread is no longer the largest thread in this subsection. That's pretty remarkable considering the "Bugs & Defects" thread is the number one thread on almost every other device subsection. The exception is the NL1020 subsection, which of course has a ton of posts in the "Pictures & Videos" thread.

Know what that means? The biggest beef that we have with our phone isn't the phone itself. It's the lousy carrier that refuses to support it due to their poor business practices. Thanks, Verizon.
    wpfan2be and wstanton like this.
    09-17-2014 11:11 AM
    On the bright side, the "Bugs & Defects" thread is no longer the largest thread in this subsection. That's pretty remarkable considering the "Bugs & Defects" thread is the number one thread on almost every other device subsection. The exception is the NL1020 subsection, which of course has a ton of posts in the "Pictures & Videos" thread.

Know what that means? The biggest beef that we have with our phone isn't the phone itself. It's the lousy carrier that refuses to support it due to their poor business practices. Thanks, Verizon.
    More like a dim...very dim light bulb.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    09-17-2014 11:37 AM
1,870 ... 2425262728 ...