10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 4041424344 ...
tools
    I never said i was leaving the forum, I'll still read but I'm not checking for updates. I'm not expecting it every day when i wake up anymore. I'm not expecting the announcement to show up on WP central...i don't think it's coming and I'll just enjoy the preview edition
    Phew. We thought it was a suicide note.
    09-29-2014 04:10 PM
    Woah... I'm completely opposed to being rude to CSR's. And I'm not sure what was said earlier in this conversation.

But this CRS's attitude was ridiculous. If i were you, i'd give a manger a call and let them know who is representing their company. Someone who doesn't care about WP8, or its users. Someone who makes the company look even crappier than they do in this Cyan/8.1 release fiasco.

And guess what - even if you didn't record the conversation, Verizon did. They recorded it to monitor his performance. So give them a call.
    I didn't feel that I was being rude. I certainly didn't let the first guy off easy when he said what he did. I can't believe the poor quality of service from him when I pay a premium for Verizon vs competitors.

I did call and talk to a manager in corporate for almost an hour (We have a corporate account) about the whole issue. The manager was the complete opposite. He was apologetic and spent the hour going through stuff on there back end looking for any news on Cyan.

Hate to rain on everyone's parade but he said he could not find a single mention of 8.1 or Cyan on their servers. He certainly at least put in the time and was very familiar with the carrier update process. He kept asking if I was sure my phone was even eligible for a SW/FW update from MSFT since he couldn't find a single reference.

All he could find was 8.1 and HTC. He was really floored. Said they firewall all the computers at VZW HQ so he couldn't get to some resources he wanted to check but he would do some independent research when he got home and would give me a call if he found anything and if not he would shoot me a text. Now I guess I wait.

Over on the VZW forums people have been filing FCC complaints and getting assigned a case officer. Apparently several people have remarked that they have gotten a lot of complaints about this issue so I might give that a shot. Still gonna try and make the switch to ATT at this point.
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-29-2014 04:35 PM
    I've given up hope that anyone at Verizon that is in any way connected to customers know anything about this update, but I'm glad this guy didn't give you any BS but instead seemed generally interested in trying to find out more. Let us know if he does indeed find anything out.

At this point I'm starting to think that Cyan will not be released, and frankly I'm not sure we'll get anymore firmware updates from Verizon at all. They might have concluded that the Icon user base is too small and they don't want to spend the money.
    09-29-2014 04:58 PM
    Phew. We thought it was a suicide note.
    Hahahaha... I'll never give Verizon the satisfaction to take my unlimited data
    09-29-2014 05:01 PM
    "Over on the VZW forums people have been filing FCC complaints and getting assigned a case officer." Really, over a update. That is the stupidest thing I have heard. It not like your going to die or something if you dont get it. Lets face it, once the Icon get any updates the next best phone will be out and then youll want it. Then the whole cycle starts again. I have been through this with VZW on Android, if it comes it comes, if not just wait for the next phone that has the update and get it. Its not like the Icon will be the last phone made by Nokia.
    My dad switched over to VZW from crap *** T-Mobile and I gave him my Icon and I got the HTC. The 8.1 is a big change and to me it was worth trading. Will it be my last phone, HELL NO. The next flagship will come out and then I will decide to get it or not, its not a life changing event, it a phone for god sakes.
    Also switching form VZW to ATT will result in nothing. The all have bad CS. I had it will all carriers. Sometimes you get a good CS rep that care and sometimes you dont. I am not about to leave the best service, from me in Miami atleast, just because of some *** on the other end of the line. And price wise, they are all with in a few bucks of each other, so its not like I will save $50+ a month by switching.
    Its a update pepole, wait for it or switch devices. Its not like you need this update to continue living.
    raqball and Tjarren like this.
    09-29-2014 05:12 PM
    "Over on the VZW forums people have been filing FCC complaints and getting assigned a case officer." Really, over a update. That is the stupidest thing I have heard. It not like your going to die or something if you dont get it. Lets face it, once the Icon get any updates the next best phone will be out and then youll want it. Then the whole cycle starts again. I have been through this with VZW on Android, if it comes it comes, if not just wait for the next phone that has the update and get it. Its not like the Icon will be the last phone made by Nokia.
    My dad switched over to VZW from crap *** T-Mobile and I gave him my Icon and I got the HTC. The 8.1 is a big change and to me it was worth trading. Will it be my last phone, HELL NO. The next flagship will come out and then I will decide to get it or not, its not a life changing event, it a phone for god sakes.
    Also switching form VZW to ATT will result in nothing. The all have bad CS. I had it will all carriers. Sometimes you get a good CS rep that care and sometimes you dont. I am not about to leave the best service, from me in Miami atleast, just because of some *** on the other end of the line. And price wise, they are all with in a few bucks of each other, so its not like I will save $50+ a month by switching.
    Its a update pepole, wait for it or switch devices. Its not like you need this update to continue living.
    Actually when you run a large business and have people on WP devices that are not getting security and feature updates to their phone it is a big deal. Especially when you spend probably roughly 10k a year on Verizon cell service. If ATT cares about their customers enough to at least updates their phones then I will give them my money. That's all I'm saying.
    09-29-2014 05:17 PM
    I have been through this with VZW on Android, if it comes it comes, if not just wait for the next phone that has the update and get it.
    Congratulations, the Verizon strategy works on you. "Hey, this functionality is in my phone, but Verizon refuses to enable it and wants me to pay hundreds of dollars for a new phone instead. Awesome, please, take my money!"

If I don't get this update (or Denim), I will never get a Verizon phone again. This is about functionality of the phone that is in there (BT LE and SensorCore) that Verizon is choosing not to give us. If they are willing to deny me what Microsoft has put in there and sent out code to enable, I sure as hell will never give them my money again.
    Joseph Anthony2 and DavidinCT like this.
    09-29-2014 05:53 PM
    If you don't find it incredulous that the Nokia Lumia 920, which was released in November 2012, has both 8.1 and Cyan while the ICON does not, I do not know how to help you.
    09-29-2014 06:09 PM
    For everyone fed up with verizons slowness vote for this uservoice suggestion to push Lumia firmware updates over the preview servers.

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ware-for-lumia
    09-29-2014 06:16 PM
    "Lets face it, once the Icon get any updates the next best phone will be out and then youll want it.
    Not with Verizon and Lumia. It will be a good long, long, long, long time before the "next big thing" comes out and makes the update irrelevant.

I believe the formula is something like Lumia model # - divided by - number of Galaxy S variants released since - times - the number of Apple iPhones divided by the square root of the number of people who argue the 1020 is still "quick."
    MikeSo, Kieta and Joseph Anthony2 like this.
    09-29-2014 06:20 PM
    Seems like there are lots of reasons why Verizon's lack of update release is hurting customers and also preventing businesses from making money. Like not being able to purchase and use equipment that makes use of sensor core for example.
    Are there any lawyers here? Is there any way to legally force vzw to perform its duties? If not refund the money? Anything that could be done at all?
    Joseph Anthony2 likes this.
    09-29-2014 06:57 PM
    Seems like there are lots of reasons why Verizon's lack of update release is hurting customers and also preventing businesses from making money. Like not being able to purchase and use equipment that makes use of sensor core for example.
    Are there any lawyers here? Is there any way to legally force vzw to perform its duties? If not refund the money? Anything that could be done at all?
    I am ppretty sure they can update, or not, at whatever pace they want. We, only have one option (If you want a Lumia of actual flagship status) and therefore... It is what it is.
    09-29-2014 07:02 PM
    I will be in a few months. No, it's highly unlikely--duties are to their shareholders.
    09-29-2014 07:03 PM
    If it played nice with our Icons we would have it already. Too many posts of developer version being too hot, too slugish and such. Verizon is always slow, but it works when released. They test extensively, to make sure all aspects of the phone and network function correctly. Me personally, I'm not switching carriers just because of a late software upgrade. My device works, no bugs, and does what its supposed to do. I can wait.
    Sent from my Verizon Icon
    aximtreo and Existence_Inc like this.
    09-29-2014 07:33 PM
    If it played nice with our Icons we would have it already. Too many posts of developer version being too hot, too slugish and such. Verizon is always slow, but it works when released. They test extensively, to make sure all aspects of the phone and network function correctly. Me personally, I'm not switching carriers just because of a late software upgrade. My device works, no bugs, and does what its supposed to do. I can wait.
    Sponsored posts should be labeled as such. As in you're clearly in the employ of Verizon to spread ignorant babble about delaying a huge update, you can shut up.

Sent from the collective common sense of this forum.

That and go stick an antenna in your urethra. One of the asparagus sized detachables from a late 90s Nokia.
    quantum tao and MikeSo like this.
    09-29-2014 07:52 PM
    I don't work for any carrier, and you sir are rude and obnoxious. Perfect example of why society is the way it is. Very sad, no respect for others. But you only make yourself the fool.
    09-29-2014 08:21 PM
    Yep I'm sure Cyan is so bad on the Icon that a nearly identical Lumia 930 has been on sale with Cyan for 3 months now.

Without a doubt US carriers are the pits. I wouldn't get carried away with AT&T, just look at all of the android phone that they are slow to update.

Absolutely love windows phone OS but this whole update has pushed me back to using my Moto X on a daily basis . I own 3 windows phones , 635, 928 and Icon. It's sad that the 635 performs great with Cyan, just pisses me off all the more using the Icon. This whole process has reminded me how much better android apps are, stock windows apps are awesome but major third party apps are utter **** and the lack of app sharing targets drives me insane, although I have no doubt that will improve once 8.1 gains more traction.

Seriously considering flipping the Icon and picking up the new Moto X, be nice to get some of the love :p
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-29-2014 08:37 PM
    I honestly don't get how user experiences could be so different. I have gone to 8.1 twice now and always wound up at 8.0. Phone overheats, shuts off, battery will drain up to 30-40% an hour etc. One morning I woke up and picked up the device beside my bed and it had been plugged up but actually lost a charge during the night and was burning up. Then whenever I tried to start it or launch apps I would be stuck on a loading screen for roughly 5-10 seconds so I had to restore. There must be some reason it seems to (allegedly) run so well on some Icons and not others?
    09-29-2014 08:44 PM
    That's unfortunate. For the most part my Icon has ran well with the DP. 8.1.1 has caused a few more Loading... screens but it runs well overall, definitely faster than my 928. Battery life has never been a problem for me on 8.1
    09-29-2014 09:00 PM
    Same here. 2 icons running 8.1.1 DP. No problems. They run great.
    gernerttl likes this.
    09-29-2014 09:03 PM
    I have 2 Icons running Developer Preview with no problems at all from any updates.
    gernerttl likes this.
    09-29-2014 09:15 PM
    I honestly don't get how user experiences could be so different. I have gone to 8.1 twice now and always wound up at 8.0. Phone overheats, shuts off, battery will drain up to 30-40% an hour etc. One morning I woke up and picked up the device beside my bed and it had been plugged up but actually lost a charge during the night and was burning up. Then whenever I tried to start it or launch apps I would be stuck on a loading screen for roughly 5-10 seconds so I had to restore. There must be some reason it seems to (allegedly) run so well on some Icons and not others?
    I am sorry, I am not sure I am buying this.
    I have 2 Icons, and neither of them have had these issues.
    I have had a couple minor issues that required a hard reset, mainly slowness
    But my Wife and I use ours all day long, she actually uses her's more than I do.
    I get roughly a day and a half on battery
    She get about day.

You need to check your Apps and shut them down.
    there are other issues going on there,, I do not believe that it is from the update.
    OR, it could be malfuntioning hardware with the update. But htat would be a hardware issue, not the update
    If it were the update only, we would all see something similar.

this should not be an issue for Verizon to replace the phone as it would be a warranty issue
    But I know they will blame the update itself out of pure laziness.

I have actually reverted back and forth to WP8 several times myself, on both Icons, and still not a single issue with Battery Drain or over heating. And Lag of Apps is virtually non-existent anymore.

@VZWSupport #LumiaCyanUpdate #LumiaIcon @JoeBelfiore
    I for 'developer preview firmware for Lumia' -VOTE http://ow.ly/C5N8z
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-29-2014 09:23 PM
    Actually when you run a large business and have people on WP devices that are not getting security and feature updates to their phone it is a big deal. Especially when you spend probably roughly 10k a year on Verizon cell service. If ATT cares about their customers enough to at least updates their phones then I will give them my money. That's all I'm saying.
    I dont have a business, but please educate me on what 8.1 has that 8.0 doesnt for business use. From what I have read there was no updates to anything business associated, I might be wrong though. Only diff I see is Cortana, notification screen, transparent tiles, and some other little things.
    09-29-2014 09:24 PM
    I have had a couple of very minor issues with mine, one spontaneous re boot, and the screen locks up after a call. MS solitaire drained the battery quickly. For usability 8.1 beats 8.0 hands down!
    09-29-2014 09:29 PM
    I switched my theme to Verizon Red since tomorrow is the big day! Update time, excellent, woo woo woo!
    09-29-2014 09:31 PM
1,870 ... 4041424344 ...