10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 4849505152 ...
tools
    So I was thinking about this last night...there are always leaks for products and timelines long before they are ever released. I mean take our phone, for how long were we teased with pictures of the device before it was finally available? But yet the secrecy around testing timeline and release of firmware from Verizon seems almost impenetrable.

It made me wonder what is the testing environment is like at Verizon? Now I'm probably dating myself here but is it like the 80's movies where there is a room full of naked women working in an all white room and the CDMA key is kept in a safe in the middle of the room and it requires two keys to open it?

Makes you wonder huh?

Like you all I am hoping that they release it soon, but for now I will go back to playing with Windows 10 for the time being.
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-02-2014 11:54 AM
    So I was thinking about this last night...there are always leaks for products and timelines long before they are ever released. I mean take our phone, for how long were we teased with pictures of the device before it was finally available? But yet the secrecy around testing timeline and release of firmware from Verizon seems almost impenetrable.

It made me wonder what is the testing environment is like at Verizon? Now I'm probably dating myself here but is it like the 80's movies where there is a room full of naked women working in an all white room and the CDMA key is kept in a safe in the middle of the room and it requires two keys to open it?

Makes you wonder huh?

Like you all I am hoping that they release it soon, but for now I will go back to playing with Windows 10 for the time being.
    If it wasn't clear before, it is now: This delay has absolutely nothing to do with testing.
    10-02-2014 11:58 AM

Makes you wonder huh?

After mentioning a room filled with naked women, are you sure you are playing with OS 10?
    antonius138 likes this.
    10-02-2014 12:17 PM
    After mentioning a room filled with naked women, are you sure you are playing with OS 10?
    I have no idea what your talking about... just trying to change the pitchfork and torch crowd mentality in here
    raqball likes this.
    10-02-2014 12:19 PM
    They have a single computer running windows 3.1 with an 8086 processor. They have some kind of USB->Serial converter but since its an 8086 its setup to connect at only 300 baud.

Makes you wonder huh?

10-02-2014 12:23 PM
    I've had I can takes and I can't takes no more. My iPhone 6 arrives tomorrow. I would have wanted to at least check out the official 8.1 build on my Icon. Oh well. Verizon still gets my business though!
    performing lumia likes this.
    10-02-2014 12:28 PM
    I've had I can takes and I can't takes no more. My iPhone 6 arrives tomorrow. I would have wanted to at least check out the official 8.1 build on my Icon. Oh well. Verizon still gets my business though!
    Enjoy, my friend got his 6 on Sprint and really enjoys it.
    10-02-2014 12:36 PM
    The preview IS the official build. If you want to check it out, get it.
    10-02-2014 12:41 PM
    The lack of leaks and information around this COULD be because not a single person at Verizon is working with it.
    Michael Bromley likes this.
    10-02-2014 12:44 PM
    In celebration of this thread reaching 50 pages, I have to say... I'm thinking of buying an S5.

You know, I am willing to deal with any two of the following:

Painfully slow updates to firmware that causes major lack of device functionality
    Lack of app support
    Complete carrier disregard for customer satisfaction in return for good coverage

But all three... this is getting to be a lot to ask. I am a Microsoft enthusiast - I love the Windows ecosystem and I believe the UI on WP is far and away better than that of Android. But if Microsoft cannot convince the largest U.S. carrier (or at least the most reliable U.S. carrier, by far, in every place I have lived) to get on board and treat WP as something other than a red-headed stepchild, then this thing is just doomed to fail.

I have to think this over some more, but I may have to pull the plug on WP.
    10-02-2014 01:02 PM
    Its not the official experience. The lack of firmware to support the OS can and does cause problems. Some people experience major issues and others don't. This is the only reason I'm not doing DP on my main phone. I put it on my old 928.

The preview IS the official build. If you want to check it out, get it.
    10-02-2014 01:07 PM
    If I was leaving the WP camp, I'd get a note 4. Hell will freeze over before I give apple a penny.

10-02-2014 01:07 PM
    Its not the official experience. The lack of firmware to support the OS can and does cause problems. Some people experience major issues and others don't. This is the only reason I'm not doing DP on my main phone. I put it on my old 928.
    I know that, believe me. But the post I responded to said he wanted to "check it out". Cyan completes it in important ways, but the vast majority of the experiences is definitely in the Preview, and the code is the same.
    10-02-2014 01:10 PM
    If I was leaving the WP camp, I'd get a note 4. Hell will freeze over before I give apple a penny.
    Also, iTunes for Windows is an abomination. I would rather hit myself in the head with a pipe wrench than put that on one of my PCs ever again.
    awilliams1701 likes this.
    10-02-2014 01:10 PM
    My $.02, I wouldn't really want another Samsung or Apple device. Pure/Near Stock Android is slick and modular. Moto X (2013/2014)/Nexus (6/X) or bust.
    10-02-2014 01:12 PM
    In celebration of this thread reaching 50 pages, I have to say... I'm thinking of buying an S5.

Painfully slow updates to firmware that causes major lack of device functionality
    If you think Samsung updates will be any faster then you are in for a rude awakening.

Google releases a new OS / update --> Samsung gets it but has to then incorporate it's 4.3 billion crapware apps into it (long delay) --> The carrier gets it..
    10-02-2014 01:19 PM
    If you think Samsung updates will be any faster then you are in for a rude awakening.
    Absolutely no expectation that updates will be any faster - I had the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon, so I am aware.

However, I would have much better app support, which would represent a net gain from what I have now.
    10-02-2014 01:26 PM
    Starting? That's impressive. It's been over two and a half months since Microsoft rolled it out. Every AT&T Lumia has it.

I've been angry with Verizon for awhile now.
    Well, I should have clarified. I was already angry a couple weeks ago. I put my Icon in my desk drawer and have been using my Note3. Now I'm getting angry all over again as I want to use my Icon again. #firstworldproblems
    10-02-2014 01:28 PM
    10-02-2014 01:39 PM
    Also, iTunes is an abomination. I would rather hit myself in the head with a pipe wrench than put that on one of my PCs ever again.
    I fixed it for you! Windows Media player (Vista+ versions) is so much better its not even funny. Someone compared it to excel for music. Until I heard that I didn't know how to explain why it was so bad.

Also, iTunes for Windows is an abomination. I would rather hit myself in the head with a pipe wrench than put that on one of my PCs ever again.
    10-02-2014 01:43 PM
    mrhappi79...ditto me too, I got my eye on that or the HTC
    10-02-2014 01:43 PM
    I think all manufacturers should go the Apple route.

Yes, I know about the DP. But what normal person is going to use the DP? Your mother or father probably wouldn't.

What ends up happening is they see the commercial for Cortana and they realize their phone doesn't have it. They don't blame the carrier, they blame the phone. Verizon is hurting the image of WP.
    10-02-2014 01:47 PM
    I have no idea what your talking about... just trying to change the pitchfork and torch crowd mentality in here
    If you have no idea what I'm talking about, no wonder you are so upset at Verizon. Chill, nothing you or I can do to calm this rage. Verizon is the devil until this release happens. Then it starts all over again for the next update.
    NoogMan9605 likes this.
    10-02-2014 02:07 PM
    I think all manufacturers should go the Apple route.

Yes, I know about the DP. But what normal person is going to use the DP? Your mother or father probably wouldn't.

What ends up happening is they see the commercial for Cortana and they realize their phone doesn't have it. They don't blame the carrier, they blame the phone. Verizon is hurting the image of WP.
    I think I addressed this much earlier in the thread. Apple has power. Microsoft has no power in the mobile phone market. None. I could imagine a meeting with Verizon: "You want to push your own firmware to your devices? We no longer carry and support Windows Phones.".
    10-02-2014 02:40 PM
    I think I addressed this much earlier in the thread. Apple has power. Microsoft has no power in the mobile phone market. None. I could imagine a meeting with Verizon: "You want to push your own firmware to your devices? We no longer carry and support Windows Phones.".
    "You want your devices to not have giant check marks on them? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want your devices to have their own internet sharing? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want your devices to have colorful designs? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want your devices to be released in a timely manner? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want us to teach our sales force how to sell your devices? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want us to push out updates for your devices along with the rest of the market? We no longer carry Windows Phones."
    10-02-2014 02:45 PM
1,870 ... 4849505152 ...