Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I really think the main issue here is lack of communication from Verizon. If they would at least explain or give some reason for the delay I really think people would lay back and wait more patiently. If they are indeed skipping cyan and jumping on denim it would be nice to know. If there are issues with cyan on their network, again, nice to know.
Unfortunately they have kept mum on the situation (more like dumb) on a flagship phone that I for one purchased and expected great service and support for.

Just my 2 cents...

Exactly! It's just strange. I have seen tons of tweets to Verizon, Microsoft, Nokia, Elop and even Joe Belfiore about Verizon and Cyan. All you get is no response at all or something very vague and generic. It's kind of strange like everyone is afraid to talk bad about Verizon or something.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Exactly! It's just strange. I have seen tons of tweets to Verizon, Microsoft, Nokia, Elop and even Joe Belfiore about Verizon and Cyan. All you get is no response at all or something very vague and generic. It's kind of strange like everyone is afraid to talk bad about Verizon or something.

Maybe they are CIA or Black Ops,Cyan is Eyes Only for VZW, lol.

EdgarPre

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Agree, even the slightest non-committal communication from VZW would go a very long way. I'd be fine with "Cyan + 8.1 is in testing but we don't have an expected availability date at this time" While this is our presumption anyways at least it would be Verizon communicating with some transparency to their customers. If they're evaluating Cyan + Denim they could say that too without making a commitment.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
It's about ACTIVATING built-in features of CURRENT hardware. We HAVE 8.1 already if we want to, thanks to the Preview program. What we DON'T have, due to Verizon's laziness/policy/whatever reason, is the code that Microsoft has released to take advantage of this existing hardware.

Is it the end of the world? No, just pretty annoying to keep paying monthly for features that we have but are not able to use.

Exactly how I feel. I still can't understand why VZ is not liable for this. Looks like negligence which is affecting customers!

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaving for AT&T at some point. I have 2 concerns neither one alone is enough to stop me, but both combined is an issue. First is that I want the 1525/1530 that hasn't been officially announced yet. Second is my ETF with Verizon. I'm not sure when I intend to say screw it and jump ship, but I think its too close to the 1 year mark of the 1520 to do it now.

Moron, ha. I am no the one crying because i dont have 8.1 on my Icon. Oh my god my life is over what will I do now. Every company is different. They run it as they see fit. You dont like it then leave to ATT.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! my point exactly. If the reason is we don't give a crap, I would know to never do business with them again. However I'm already leaning in that direction. Ironically I've already said that about AT&T, but I honestly feel like they've fixed issues with their company thanks to T-Mobile. Verizon on the other hand is proud of their #1 network status and don't give a crap about their customers. Take our #1 network and get screwed or don't. That is their attitude and I'm sick of it.

I really think the main issue here is lack of communication from Verizon. If they would at least explain or give some reason for the delay I really think people would lay back and wait more patiently. If they are indeed skipping cyan and jumping on denim it would be nice to know. If there are issues with cyan on their network, again, nice to know.
Unfortunately they have kept mum on the situation (more like dumb) on a flagship phone that I for one purchased and expected great service and support for.

Just my 2 cents...

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought my phone from Microsoft not Verizon. Microsoft sold me a Nokia product. As far as I'm concerned Verizon shouldn't even be involved as long as I have service, which I do.

Exactly how I feel. I still can't understand why VZ is not liable for this. Looks like negligence which is affecting customers!

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaving for AT&T at some point. I have 2 concerns neither one alone is enough to stop me, but both combined is an issue. First is that I want the 1525/1530 that hasn't been officially announced yet. Second is my ETF with Verizon. I'm not sure when I intend to say screw it and jump ship, but I think its too close to the 1 year mark of the 1520 to do it now.

Yea. I was saying the same thing. I'm just gonna wait it out til my contracts up in Jan. Too many people spread out over too many locales. I'll wait til the family meets up at some point in Feb or Mar and then switch all the lines to unlocked devices on a GSM network

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought my phone from Microsoft not Verizon. Microsoft sold me a Nokia product. As far as I'm concerned Verizon shouldn't even be involved as long as I have service, which I do.

Not negligence, just the status quo. Only way to circumvent is to buy unlocked. Even buying unlocked is a pain because its confrontational to the current model. If traditional OEMs disrupt, then carriers won't sell those phones.

Although, there are some success stories.

Google Nexus line
Motorola under Lenovo
Oppo's OnePlus line

These companies forego a large segment of the U.S. market by excluding Verizon subscribers. MS has too much riding in gaining marks share that they simply aren't justifying selling unlocked. Even Apple has to wait a few months before selling an unlocked version of a new iPhone in the U.S.

Telcos wield a huge amount of power here in the states. Time for some new antirust cases IMO

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
On CDMA networks there is no such thing as unlocked. You have to have Verizon's or Sprint's blessing or the phone simply will not work. GSM on the other hand, not a problem.

Not negligence, just the status quo. Only way to circumvent is to buy unlocked. Even buying unlocked is a pain because its confrontational to the current model. If traditional OEMs disrupt, then carriers won't sell those phones.

Although, there are some success stories.

Google Nexus line
Motorola under Lenovo
Oppo's OnePlus line

These companies forego a large segment of the U.S. market by excluding Verizon subscribers. MS has too much riding in gaining marks share that they simply aren't justifying selling unlocked. Even Apple has to wait a few months before selling an unlocked version of a new iPhone in the U.S.

Telcos wield a huge amount of power here in the states. Time for some new antirust cases IMO

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
On CDMA networks there is no such thing as unlocked. You have to have Verizon's or Sprint's blessing or the phone simply will not work. GSM on the other hand, not a problem.

I think most CDMA phones also have GSM hardware in them. Didn't Verizon have to make their phones unlocked or something? I thought I saw Icons used on AT&T but without LTE due to incompatible frequencies?

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My Blackberry Q10, HTC 8x and my Icon are all factory unlocked and have both CDMA and GSM, since Verizon switched over to LTE and Sim cards most new devices are factory unlocked now.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While the phones they sell maybe unlocked and the hardware is capable of operating on other networks you still can not bring an unlocked phone to Verizon or Sprint. It would require programming for the CDMA portion of the phone which they simply can and will refuse to-do because the phone isn't "approved." CDMA is still used to carry voice on their network. You could pop a Verizon sim into another device that has the same LTE bands but voice will not work... Only data.

I do think Verizon's phone's are sold SIM unlocked buuuuut..... They're also tailored for their network and may not support all LTE bands that other networks would require. One of those gotchas if you bought a carrier branded phone even more specifically Verizon and their awesome biggest bestestssssss all be it proprietary network.... Other Carriers can be just as bad because lord knows how LTE in the US is a big cluster ****. I'm looking at you FCC.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If you're lucky it MIGHT work on LTE only, but there will be no 3g- support of any kind. It requires the phone to have special keys that only verizon and sprint can provide. I've actually seen someone confirm that a unlocked 1520.3 doesn't work at all on verizon. Its too bad because it would solve my Cyan problem. Then once my contract is over I could switch carriers.

I think most CDMA phones also have GSM hardware in them. Didn't Verizon have to make their phones unlocked or something? I thought I saw Icons used on AT&T but without LTE due to incompatible frequencies?

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I currently use my Icon on Straight Talk with an ATT sim. There is no LTE within a few hours of me so I can't comment on whether that works, HSPA+ and MMS do work. I had read that in certain areas LTE would work for T-mobile. Rumor is that Page Plus is getting LTE in October, meaning Icon could be the perfect no contact phone: ATT or T-mobile coverage with Straight Talk or T-mobile outright, and Verizon coverage with Page Plus. Been meaning to write a post about this.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
. Rumor is that Page Plus is getting LTE in October, meaning Icon could be the perfect no contact phone: ATT or T-mobile coverage with Straight Talk or T-mobile outright, and Verizon coverage with Page Plus. Been meaning to write a post about this.

I pre-ordered my page plus LTE sim last night from Kitty Wireless. $55 Unlimited Talk/Text and 3GB. Also offer a 5GB plan as well. Only downside I can see is no visual voicemail... I really hate that Verizon stripped that out of windows phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb