10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 6162636465 ...
tools
    This thread is actually about 8.1/Cyan for the Icon specifically.

Your questions about the Developer Preview have been quarreled, addressed, and answered ad nauseam on this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...questions.html

I'd encourage you to take your bickering there.

Dear Verizon - Please release 8.1/Cyan if for no other reason than it means we can end this thread.
    JK75, DavidinCT, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    10-09-2014 08:29 AM
    10-09-2014 08:32 AM
    Again, it's not about the users in this thread. It's about the Windows Phone 8 operating system and it's market share. We, as a community, are fans of a phone OS that is currently fighting for it's life. WP8 is not only up against Android & iOS - but when a carrier refuses to update the flagship Microsoft/Nokia flagship phone in the US, WP8 is up against Verizon too.

WP8/Black to WP8.1/Cyan is a major jump in performance and features. It puts Windows Phones on par, if not ahead, of Android and iOS. When Verizon doesn't release this upgrade, it fundamentally stifles the growth of an already struggling OS.

Sure, you and I can update to WP8.1 using developer preview. Most people commenting in this thread have. But what about those who are won't download the developer preview? What about those who are shopping around for a phone right now? All they see is an Icon running WP8. People like my sister, or my friends that want to run stock to cover their butts. People who are business users who can't put developer previews on their devices.

There are so many reasons that Verizon's current practices are hurting WP8. That's why we're angry.
    I see your point. It's not about us individuals, so much. I take a broader view however in what it is about. It's also not about iOS, Android or Verizon. I had a Pocket PC back in the day. Compared to Blackberry, it didn't work very well. When phones launched with Windows Mobile, I bought in. They. were rather terrible. I wanted the Microsoft ecosystem to work for me and it didn't. I wasn't lured away by something else that was shinier. I turned away because MS couldn't give me product that worked. I swore when I left that I was done with MS mobile phones, etc. It took some soul searching to come back and get an ICON. I am glad I did, however.......here is why I can't get all caught up in worrying about MS's market share and survival:

MS has been working on their mobile products far longer (in tech years) than Android has existed. MS has had it's chance to make it's mark and instead has missed the mark repeatedly. MS, if it hadn't been so feckless in the past, could have Verizon eating out it's hand today and be dominating the market. Instead we are agonizing over when some UPDATE is coming that will bring us up to speed with Android....??? Is the absurdity lost on people? Don't forget that Verizon has endured all of the crappy iterations of Windows Mobile too and had to support it. If they are bias against MS on a corporate level, well, MS may have earned that disrespect. But now MS is saying to us all, "Hey baby, I'm different. I've changed, I promise." "Look, I'm serious. I bought Nokia." I can only hope that MS is on track and doesn't do anymore 180's. They have a good product but they also have a history. God forbid that I sound like I am defending Verizon. I'm not. I feel kind of like what Chris rock said about O.J. I'm not saying I agree with what they do.....but I understand (to a degree). MS will do what MS does and Windows Phone will live or die as a result of what MS does not what Verizon does. I'm betting that most people that have Window Phone now don't even know there is an updated coming or how it compares to Android anyway. They just hope their phone works. If Windows Phone doesn't deliver in the end or fails and goes away....I'll get something else. I've done it before.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-09-2014 08:52 AM
    A co-worker who has the Icon and could not get into the Preview (app wouldn't download) just had 8.1 pushed out to his phone this morning.
    10-09-2014 08:54 AM
    Yeah like Verizon is testing that.
    =]

Didn't you know?
    Verizon has every car ever made and ensure the phones ergonomically fits in every vehicles' center console.
    10-09-2014 08:56 AM
    A co-worker who has the Icon and could not get into the Preview (app wouldn't download) just had 8.1 pushed out to his phone this morning.
    Are you certain about this?

I'm getting an error when I search for updates.This is new.

Edit: Never mind. Now it's saying up to date. Same ol' story on Developer Preview.
    nunyazz likes this.
    10-09-2014 08:59 AM
    "I'll believe that when me shi tturns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet"
    10-09-2014 09:10 AM
    Reading this thread is better than watching a daytime soap... Of course, by posting to this thread, I'm part of the drama...but hey...it's entertaining nonetheless. So...who wants some popcorn??

P.S. Are we there yet?
    Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives being Verizon customers
    berty6294, aximtreo and gernerttl like this.
    10-09-2014 09:12 AM
    8.0 and says up to date. But now I'm getting the unable to check for updates error 8072f78
    10-09-2014 09:35 AM
    I'm on 8.0 and no update for me.

So many false alarms, trolls be loving this thread.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    10-09-2014 09:36 AM
    And the wait goes on......tick, tock, tick, tock....

Come on Verizon, just release Denim (yea, as I said before, I gave up already on Cyan)....NOW !!!
    10-09-2014 09:47 AM
    A mass hunger-strike is the only reasonable solution. Get on it.
    DavidinCT, SpaceyO, khador and 1 others like this.
    10-09-2014 09:58 AM
    So how did you file compliant?
    I went to the FCC website and filed a complaint. It's really easy and quick.
    10-09-2014 10:04 AM
    Of course it's compatible. What a bunch of manure...
    I agree. It's completely compatible with the network. I just want my "flagship" to be updated to the latest update, so that my user experience will be better.
    10-09-2014 10:08 AM
    I went to the FCC website and filed a complaint. It's really easy and quick.
    ...and sadly, a waste of time.
    10-09-2014 10:49 AM
    ...and sadly, a waste of time.
    Took about as much time for me to submit something as it did for you to post this.
    11B1P likes this.
    10-09-2014 11:01 AM
    Even if the update broke compatibility with a hondai elantra and I had one (I have a chevy volt) I would rather they release it immediately and break that, then we can report that and they could fix it and release that immediately. I would rather have 5 updates in 5 weeks that fixes all the issues rather than 1 update 5 months later that has no issues. The only thing I've ever heard of that I find unacceptable is ios 8.0.1 breaking cell phone connectivity. That is 100% unacceptable and completely inexcusable. Everything else that doesn't brick the phone that can be fixed quickly and reasonably is fair game. That is why Verizon has no business being involved in this process.
    10-09-2014 11:08 AM
    Even if the update broke compatibility with a hondai elantra and I had one (I have a chevy volt) I would rather they release it immediately and break that, then we can report that and they could fix it and release that immediately. I would rather have 5 updates in 5 weeks that fixes all the issues rather than 1 update 5 months later that has no issues. The only thing I've ever heard of that I find unacceptable is ios 8.0.1 breaking cell phone connectivity. That is 100% unacceptable and completely inexcusable. Everything else that doesn't brick the phone that can be fixed quickly and reasonably is fair game. That is why Verizon has no business being involved in this process.
    I bet they charge for every test, sort of like how developers are required to fork over 35k, 75k, or 150k to MS for every update delivered over Xbox Live.

But, I bet Verizon charges more to their billionaire OEM partners. 7 figures per update per device sounds about right?
    10-09-2014 11:32 AM
    I'm on 8.0 and no update for me.

So many false alarms, trolls be loving this thread.
    The OP had 1 Post, and that was it. What were you expecting?
    10-09-2014 11:38 AM
    Don't believe it. If it had been released, there would be page after page more here announcing the release.
    10-09-2014 11:39 AM
    "I'll believe that when me shi tturns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet"
    Oh, you are so eloquent; what a way with words. Love it.
    10-09-2014 11:41 AM
    Well, something's up cause the Icon isn't even on the shopping part of VZW web site. I hope all the complaint's haven't ruined my ability to get this phone when the update comes out!!
    10-09-2014 11:41 AM
    Did anyone try to check for update with the Preview turned off. Just a thought,

Update, nevermind; just checked without Preview and no update as yet.
    10-09-2014 11:44 AM
    Well, something's up cause the Icon isn't even on the shopping part of VZW web site. I hope all the complaint's haven't ruined my ability to get this phone when the update comes out!!
    Very interesting...only the 928 is listed under Nokia.
    If you do a search the black icon comes up but when you click on that it just goes to phones and devices.
    10-09-2014 11:51 AM
    Very interesting...only the 928 is listed under Nokia.
    For me it showed up in the search results but I couldn't get to the details page. I wonder if they are just having website issues.
    10-09-2014 11:56 AM
1,870 ... 6162636465 ...