The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 6768697071 ...
tools
    Listen i want to remain positive like you but do you really think Verizon or anyone for that matter would tell everyone it's retired if it's on hold until 8.1/cyan is out? Even if CSRs or Support don't know anything they would at least get word from someone higher in the chain to say something different.
    I'm not choosing to remain positive. I'm choosing to remain logical.
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-09-2014 04:07 PM
    The @vzwSupport twitter team knows just as much as the CSR's that all these conversations are coming from. Nothing.

Sales through the Verizon website for the Nokia Lumia Icon are on hold until Cyan/8.1 is out. Plain and simple.
    I assume the same. It just seems flippant to use the word "retired". Especially on something as public as Twitter, from their official account. But I agree that it makes no sense.
    10-09-2014 04:08 PM
    Attached Thumbnails colbert-popcorn.gif  
    10-09-2014 04:12 PM
    The word retired is used because that is what a phone is labeled as once it is discontinued.
    10-09-2014 04:12 PM
    The word retired is used because that is what a phone is labeled as once it is discontinued.
    I know what "retired" means. ;) I wasn't clear, I mean that it seems flippant to use that word if they do not have explicit information that they will never again sell the Lumia Icon.
    Maybe they do. But seems unlikely.
    10-09-2014 04:15 PM
    I know what "retired" means. ;)

Gotcha, misread your post, thought you were indicating the wrong word was being used for what is going on with the icon.
    10-09-2014 04:17 PM
    10-09-2014 04:20 PM
    How come the Icon is not on Verizon's website anymore?
    Bahaman06 likes this.
    10-09-2014 04:46 PM
    How come the Icon is not on Verizon's website anymore?
    You need to read back a few posts.......
    10-09-2014 04:54 PM
    I was just on Verizon's site and the icon is still there.
    10-09-2014 04:58 PM
    I was just on Verizon's site and the icon is still there.
    Def not there
    10-09-2014 05:00 PM
    I don't know how to post a screenshot from a quick reply in the wpcentral app.....but Verizon wireless site only shows two devices when you search for Nokia....a 928 and 2520
    10-09-2014 05:19 PM
    icon.jpg

No Icon. I hope it is for a Denim refresh.
    10-09-2014 05:27 PM
    I bought two for my company about two weeks ago. Just earlier the icons were outta stock. Also recently I was offered an icon for an 8x asurion replacement. At the last minute it was replaced with a m8. Either there is a stock issue or the icon is getting phased out.
    10-09-2014 05:29 PM
    The Icon was released in February! I hope it is not being phased out.
    10-09-2014 05:32 PM
    For what it's worth, there was a question to VZWSupport on twitter last week about a report that all the Icon developers had been moved on to other projects/platforms. Didn't think much about it at the time, but now???
    10-09-2014 05:38 PM
    I am starting to think it has been retired.

I called the VZW store where I purchased my Icon and spoke with the store manager. My Icon is just over the 2 week return period. He did some checking then told me it has in fact been discontinued. He said I can bring it back for the HTC M8 if I want and pay the price difference..

I'm debating what to do..
    Quitting my own post..

I went into the store and spoke to the manager. He checked again for me and said the Icon is listed as retired.. I asked how long I have to decide on swapping my Icon for the M8 and he said today only. My Icon is 3 weeks old as of today so it's past the 2 week return period. He was doing me a hug favor letting me change devices..

I paid full price for my Icon and I'm not at all interested in paying that kind of dough for a discontinued device. I went home grabbed the box, returned to the store and did the swap. I paid the price difference and the restocking fee.. Kind of a bummer because I really liked the Icon. The M8 is nicer than I originally thought but I do miss the Icon already..

I was hoping he would give me a few days to decide but I guess since he was already stretching the return period he really could not give me any more time to decide..

I hope it works out for all of you with the Icon. It's a fantastic device that is well deserving of 8.1.
    10-09-2014 05:42 PM
    Quitting my own post..

I went into the store and spoke to the manager. He checked again for me and said the Icon is listed as retired.. I asked how long I have to decide on swapping my Icon for the M8 and he said today only. My Icon is 3 weeks old as of today so it's past the 2 week return period. He was doing me a hug favor letting me change devices..

I paid full price for my Icon and I'm not at all interested in paying that kind of dough for a discontinued device. I went home grabbed the box, returned to the store and did the swap. I paid the price difference and the restocking fee.. Kind of a bummer because I really liked the Icon. The M8 is nicer than I originally thought but I do miss the Icon already..

I was hoping he would give me a few days to decide but I guess since he was already stretching the return period he really could not give me any more time to decide..

I hope it works out for all of you with the Icon. It's a fantastic device that is well deserving of 8.1.
    I understand why you did it. I am still holding out hope that this retirement business (I'm curious what it actually says in Verizon's system) is just a technical inventory issue to deal with changes for support, sales, and software when updating to Cyan/8.1. However, considering that no other carrier seems to have to deal with that... well, that hope is fading for sure.
    10-09-2014 05:49 PM
    If this is in any way true, it's pretty disgraceful. They have so many other phones that are so much older that they will still happily sell you, including FOUR Blackberry devices. I can't imagine that those are flying off the shelves. I know Microsoft has little control over what Verizon does, but this is insane. This is a FLAGSHIP phone that was released not even 8 months ago. Microsoft, Nokia, VZW...somebody better speak up and have some answers because this is a terrible way to treat your customers.
    WarDamnEagle09 and Dreamspell like this.
    10-09-2014 05:50 PM
    If this is in any way true, it's pretty disgraceful. They have so many other phones that are so much older that they will still happily sell you, including FOUR Blackberry devices. I can't imagine that those are flying off the shelves. I know Microsoft has little control over what Verizon does, but this is insane. This is a FLAGSHIP phone that was released not even 8 months ago. Microsoft, Nokia, VZW...somebody better speak up and have some answers because this is a terrible way to treat your customers.
    Do you think the 928 sells better than the Icon? I find that hard to believe. Whatever the reasons are, I seriously doubt it's sales.
    10-09-2014 05:51 PM
    If this is true, that Verizon is dropping the Icon, this is a bunch of BS. The phone is not a year old, and they don't support it, now they drop it, screw them (Verizon)
    10-09-2014 05:56 PM
    "Microsoft, Nokia, VZW...somebody better speak up and have some answers because this is a terrible way to treat your customers."

Don't expect anything from VZW, but would like something from MS.
    10-09-2014 05:57 PM
    Anyone know if the forever-old WP update agreement that carriers can 'skip one update, but must provide the following one' is still in effect?

I have been a huge fan of Windows Phone since the beginning. Zune before that, and Windows Media Center before that. I cannot recall any similar situation where a flagship device, or any device for that matter, was so neglected (perhaps the original HTC Titan?). I get the impression that Microsoft has given up on pushing carriers to update their devices, and are just resting on the fact that they have the Preview for Developers program now. Why can we no longer have anything even close to the universal, simultaneous rollout that 7.5 Mango had? EVERY update that came out prior to the PFD program was handled better than anything since then.

All I know is that I don't care if we ever see Cyan at this point, but if we don't see promise of Denim when it starts to roll out this month I am officially giving up. Not on Verizon, but on Windows Phone. It would be outrageous if their flagship device, that I paid over 500 dollars for, never received an update. I don't care if Verizon has been sitting on the update since RTM - fix the ******* problem, Microsoft. Throw money at them until they do it, I don't care. This is your flagship device.

That felt good. Pls to be forwarding to joeb
    RSailer and MobileVortex like this.
    10-09-2014 05:58 PM
    Do you think the 928 sells better than the Icon? I find that hard to believe. Whatever the reasons are, I seriously doubt it's sales.
    Who knows, obviously no one here. It just feels like another slap in the face. If it is officially and totally retired, we will probably never be given a real explanation anyways.
    10-09-2014 05:58 PM
    Anyone know if the forever-old WP update agreement that carriers can 'skip one update, but must provide the following one' is still in effect?

I have been a huge fan of Windows Phone since the beginning. Zune before that, and Windows Media Center before that. I cannot recall any similar situation where a flagship device, or any device for that matter, was so neglected (perhaps the original HTC Titan?). I get the impression that Microsoft has given up on pushing carriers to update their devices, and are just resting on the fact that they have the Preview for Developers program now. Why can we no longer have anything even close to the universal, simultaneous rollout that 7.5 Mango had? Pretty much every update that came out before the PFD program was handled better than anything since then.

All I know is that I don't care if we ever see Cyan at this point, but if we don't see promise of Denim when it starts to roll out this month I am officially giving up. Not on Verizon, but on Windows Phone. It would be outrageous if their flagship device, that I paid over 500 dollars for, never received an update. I don't care if Verizon has been sitting on the update since RTM - fix the ******* problem, Microsoft. Throw money at them until they do it, I don't care. This is your flagship device.
    I agree. If anyone has enough money or power to do this, it would be Microsoft. VZW would have to be holding out "on principal" if Microsoft couldn't pay them to get this done. I don't know where I'd turn if I abandoned Windows Phone, but I'd probably get more respect.
    10-09-2014 06:01 PM
1,870 ... 6768697071 ...