10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 6869707172 ...
tools
    HTC M8 is a nice phone, I doubt you'll regret it. But I wouldn't expect to get future updates any faster than other windows phones on Verizon.

Should have gone with the new Moto X, best phone and value currently at VZ.
    10-09-2014 06:03 PM
    Perhaps the icon with wp8 is discontinued and will be replaced with a new revision with 8.1
    10-09-2014 06:06 PM
    this windows mobile --->windows phone thing has been long and disappointing and starting to really wear me down.
    feeked and MobileVortex like this.
    10-09-2014 06:07 PM
    Perhaps the icon with wp8 is discontinued and will be replaced with a new revision with 8.1
    It would make a little sense, given just how much gets added. Not just in software, but hardware enabling (sensorcore, bt le, whatever the always listening chip is). And all the more outrageous for it not to get an update.
    10-09-2014 06:08 PM
    this windows mobile --->windows phone thing has been long and disappointing and starting to really wear me down.
    Same.
    10-09-2014 06:09 PM
    10-09-2014 06:10 PM
    In other words it is only a rumor. Which the article clearly states.
    Indistinguishable and Tjarren like this.
    10-09-2014 06:13 PM
    I agree! We are done with windows and the Icon. Windows is the next Blackberry. It's going nowhere fast and Verizon retiring the Icon in less than a year confirms windows mobile is a lost cause. Now I have to shop for three new phones. We gave windows a try and it has been nothing but a pain in the rear end. IMHO MS should stick with developing software for Apple and Android, they have no business being in the hardware business. We came from Apple and I think we will try Android this time. Such a shame the Icon could have been a really good phone. Live and learn.
    10-09-2014 06:17 PM
    Funny thing is for those exchanging their Icon for the M8 may find that version of the M8 retired too real soon. HTC just announced a new M8 that is the exact same as the current phone but with updated cameras. Not sure how long they will.keep making the M8 with the old camera.
    10-09-2014 06:18 PM
    HTC M8 is a nice phone, I doubt you'll regret it. But I wouldn't expect to get future updates any faster than other windows phones on Verizon.

Should have gone with the new Moto X, best phone and value currently at VZ.
    I didn't change over due to a lack of 8.1 on the Icon. I changed over because I don't want to pay full price for a phone that's been discontinued / retired.. I just purchased the Icon on the 18th of last month. Paying full price for a phone that's been whacked 3 weeks later is a hard pill to swallow..

I don't like Android and wanted to stick with WP..
    10-09-2014 06:19 PM
    Let's hope WP Central hears back from someone at Verizon. Not likely, but hey, hope is what sustains this thread anyway. :)
    10-09-2014 06:24 PM
    Huge Disappointment. I've had my Icon since February and love it. Running 8.1 Developers on it. Figures, now Verizon must think it does not have to push through an update. :-(
    10-09-2014 06:26 PM
    I didn't change over due to a lack of 8.1 on the Icon. I changed over because I don't want to pay full price for a phone that's been discontinued / retired.. I just purchased the Icon on the 18th of last month. Paying full price for a phone that's been whacked 3 weeks later is a hard pill to swallow..

I don't like Android and wanted to stick with WP..
    I hear you. I bought mine 3 months ago, really pisses me off to have extended my contract for 2 years. If this is true (it may not be) I'll definitely call it quits with VZ and probably high end windows phones (I own an AT&T 635).

I own 3 windows phones and a bunch of apps, but its just tiring to deal with. The phone OS and software is awesome, but third party support blows. We all need to remember that yes we may like windows phone but its MS job to invest in the platform and move it forward, not us. If this phone is really done then MS really did us a disservice .

Without a doubt my next move will be to go with either a nexus or moto x pure edition on AT&T which cuts the carrier out of the update process.
    bhgoen likes this.
    10-09-2014 06:28 PM
    I get this sucks, but everyone dumping their icons because of this? Why? Did they stop working for some reason? Even if you don't go for the 8.1 preview which works perfectly for most why dump a perfectly good phone? @Rockinroofer, now you have to shop for 3 phones? I don't get your logic. The icon as is even running 8 works fine, no? I understand ya'lls disappointment for sure, but bailing from carriers and dumping phones asap is a bit of a knee jerk reaction IMO.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-09-2014 06:30 PM
    I bought the Icon with the expectation that not only would it get 8.1 and Cyan, but that it would be one of the first to receive it.
    Tjarren and MikeSo like this.
    10-09-2014 06:33 PM
    Totally agree cbreze, it's a great phone. I'm not saying to dump it now but in the future this experience will definitely influence my next phone/carrier decision.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-09-2014 06:41 PM
    Not sure what this means, but....

1rkkazg.png
    10-09-2014 06:55 PM
    I get this sucks, but everyone dumping their icons because of this? Why? is a bit of a knee jerk reaction IMO
    I think I explained myself sufficiently.. If you are cool with paying full price for a phone that gets whacked a few weeks later then more power to you.. I am not! The Icon has been out what 8 months? To kill a phone that fast is nuts! Carriers should be required to carry a phone for a year minimum and offer updates for a minimum of 2 years,

In my case it had nothing to do with 8.1 and everything to do with $$$$..
    10-09-2014 06:56 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1rkkAzG.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	84118
    At this point, they better release Denim. The pre-release for Denim included Icon as one of the beneficiaries of the upcoming firmware release. Verizon/Nokia/Microsoft really ticked me off.
    10-09-2014 07:04 PM
    I understand ya'lls disappointment for sure, but bailing from carriers and dumping phones asap is a bit of a knee jerk reaction IMO.
    I couldn't agree more. I'll just patiently wait for the Cyan update, which I think is still coming.
    10-09-2014 07:05 PM
    I think I explained myself sufficiently.. If you are cool with paying full price for a phone that gets whacked a few weeks later then more power to you.. I am not! The Icon has been out what 8 months? To kill a phone that fast is nuts! Carriers should be required to carry a phone for a year minimum and offer updates for a minimum of 2 years,

Raqball, I do not think anyone has an issue with your decision. In fact, if most of us received the benefit of the doubt from a Verizon manager (i.e. allowing return of the device after the 14 day window), we would thoroughly consider it. Regardless, it's tough to take anything seriously at the moment with this latest PR move.
    raqball likes this.
    10-09-2014 07:06 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1rkkAzG.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	84118
    Sadly i dont think it means anything. Means they can't say
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-09-2014 07:08 PM

My comment was more in general terms and not to anyone who recently purchased an icon. I'd feel slighted if I were you as well. I had my icon for six months from launch and I'd be keeping it even with this news if I hadn't gotten an M8. It's still an awesome phone regardless.
    raqball, MikeSo and khador like this.
    10-09-2014 07:12 PM
    Raqball, I do not think anyone has an issue with your decision. In fact, if most of us received the benefit of the doubt from a Verizon manager (i.e. allowing return of the device after the 14 day window), we would thoroughly consider it. Regardless, it's tough to take anything seriously at the moment with this latest PR move.
    I really wanted a few days to think it over and let this pan out.. Unfortunately he said he could only do it today and today only.. I was happy with 8.0 on my Icon and when 8.1 comes (retired or not I am sure the Icon will still get it) the Icon will be that much more awesome.

My sole issue was the retirement chatter. Buying a phone at full price that's discontinued as soon as you walk out the door (not really but you get the point) is a hard pill to swallow. I talked to the store manager twice and both times he made it clear the Icon was retired. Had it not been for him confirming this twice, I would have waited..
    10-09-2014 07:15 PM
    Sadly i dont think it means anything. Means they can't say
    I knew I recognized it... here's what they said on FB in September when asked about Cyan/8.1: "Thanks for your continued patience. Please stay posted for details :)"

Yeah, just as substance-less now as then.
    10-09-2014 07:18 PM
1,870 ... 6869707172 ...