10-10-2014 02:09 PM
1,870 ... 72737475
tools
    Now it was quoted from WP8 announcement that you would get support for 18 months but, the question on this is (and it was never answered 100%), Was this from Windows Phone release, or was it from each phone's released ?

Like I said a few pages back, As these were announced before Verizon decided to "retire" it, if I don't have Denim on my phone by Dec 1st, I will start (or will join if someone beats me to it) a class action lawsuit against Verizon Wireless.

Anyway about it, (I don't sign contracts), if you buy a phone for $500 plus, you EXPECT feature and system updates for at least 1-2 years (2 years is contract term in the US). The Phone has only been out for 6-7 months...not even a full year yet.

I do hope it's just a Cyan/Denim thing, AKA cleaning out old stock and brining it back with Cyan preinstalled on them with a new promo. At this point I can't count on that.

As a said a few pages back on TCMAN88, I question his posts even more, does he still work for Verizon ? Does he actually know anything here ? He said Cyan release a few days ago, we don't have Cyan yet and now the ICON is retired ? If he actually knew anything he could of hinted about something (not good is happening, etc)

Anyway about it, the rest is pretty much rumor, till we have an official corporate announcement from Verizon, we are just guessing at this point. I would not trust a CSR for any important facts...EVER.
    My .02

Verizon would have been smart to release 8.1 before killing the Icon.. Now they rightfully have munity on their hands. Previously I was against filing FCC complaints ect over the lack of 8.1 but now, and if true that the Icon has been tossed into the recycling bin by Verizon then I am all for class action, FCC complaints et all.

As far as the TC guys goes, I have serious doubts about this users credibility.. An insider would have / should have know the Icon was getting axed.. I doubt this decision was made at the last second.

I feel for you all. I got lucky and was granted a return outside of my 14-days.. This is really beyond comprehension.. Axing a 7 month old flagship and failing to update it? Wow, just wow..

Verizon has to be clueless. If they had released 8.1 before killing it people probably still would be rightfully upset but to kill it without updating it? Mutiny on their hands...
    10-10-2014 08:37 AM
    What a turn of events this week. I don't know what to make of it all. I think the ICON is a solid phone with great hardware but there are some bugs in 8.1 that make the ICON frustrating to use for myself and others. What I would love to see Verizon do is offer a trade in program for the ICON for another similar phone since it's retired so soon after release. But we know that won't be happening so I'll give it til the end of the year to see where we ICON user stand and possibly go with the M8. Oh well.
    10-10-2014 08:45 AM
    I agree with everything you said. And please, post the class action so I and others can get in on it if it happens.
    Class action? For what? Does Verizon really have a legal responsibility to give us firmware updates at all, let alone as quickly as we want them?

Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed that I don't have the Cyan update. But I don't remember anything in the Verizon literature promising that the OS or firmware would be updated. Microsoft and Nokia have made announcements, but that's different. Potentially, this situation could be resolved by Microsoft offering firmware updates under the PFD program, which we all know was established not just for developers but for tech-savvy consumers who were willing to update their phones themselves without the oversight of the carrier.

This certainly isn't good news for Microsoft or Windows Phone, but if you already own an Icon you don't have to worry about availability. You already have the phone. Naturally you would like to have the phone updated, but your relationship with Verizon (or any carrier) is ultimately for them to provide you connectivity to your device - not to provide upgrades. To Verizon, any phone works. If they could all be iPhones, it's much easier on them.

Personally, I believe that my Icon with WP 8.1 is the best phone I have ever owned. But Sony can tell you that the best product doesn't always win. I would like Cyan for camera improvements, BT 4.0 LE and miracast. If anyone owes me those features, it's Microsoft.

It could be that there is no longer any room in the cell phone business for a 3rd operating system. If that ends up being the case it's no one's fault other than Microsoft, who was first to market but took too long to get to the point where their OS was competitive.
    10-10-2014 08:58 AM
    After taking a breath I am trying to look at this differently:

1) Maybe it's possible that Microsoft stopped production of the 929 to either build a updated/new phone or concentrate on their current phones and this really isn't Verizon's doing.
    2) Verizon will reintroduce the Icon with 8.1 preinstalled and there will be a new SKU
    3) The 735 and maybe an updated 830 will be introduced soon that they feel will be a better sell for them then the Icon. The 822 had double the memory then the other 8XX phones when it come out- Maybe Verizon's 830 will be updated.
    4) I suspect 1-3 may be more likely because we have confirmed reports that Verizon intends to update their old HTC windows phones to 8.1, read comments by the editor here that the 735 is mostly confirmed for Verizon and Microsoft/Nokia's website still says the 8.1 is in testing for Verizon's WP8 phones not discontinued (like it says next to T-mobiles 810). I don't think Verison is getting rid of Windows phones.

It does stink and it is suspect since everyone has been on Verizon about Cyan for months and months and we have gotten no comments from either Verizon, Nokia, or Microsoft desipte all of them being directly asked about it. It is very strange but I'm trying to be positive.
    10-10-2014 09:06 AM
    Sounds to me you are asking for transparency
    10-10-2014 09:25 AM
    At this point I'd be OK with simply a statement from Verizon stating:

"Yes, we've retired the Icon, however we will provide software updates for the device thru 2015. We will be delivering Lumia Denim in Q4 2014"

All we really want is some communication from Verizon. We bought a flagship device and though legally Verizon owes us nothing besides service, we should really be treated better as customers.
    10-10-2014 09:37 AM

Just saw this
    10-10-2014 09:45 AM
    At this point I'd be OK with simply a statement from Verizon stating:

"Yes, we've retired the Icon, however we will provide software updates for the device thru 2015. We will be delivering Lumia Denim in Q4 2014"

All we really want is some communication from Verizon. We bought a flagship device and though legally Verizon owes us nothing besides service, we should really be treated better as customers.
    How can one even top that?
    Post that comment again and close the thread
    GoJays, Obsidial and aximtreo like this.
    10-10-2014 09:46 AM
    VZW Support's tweet about the Icon appears to have vanished... I can not find it.
    10-10-2014 09:50 AM
    How can one even top that?
    Post that comment again and close the thread
    mic-drop.gif
    10-10-2014 10:06 AM
    VZW Support's tweet about the Icon appears to have vanished... I can not find it.
    https://twitter.com/VZWSupport/statu...16685471858688
    10-10-2014 10:06 AM
    Looks like we have an idea of the launch date for the HTC One M8 on AT&T. I don't know if it means anything regarding Verizon's exclusivity deal with the HTC One M8 & the lack of support of all other WP8's. But we'll see...

Latest intel: AT&T launching HTC One for Windows Nov 7, same day as the Lumia 830 | Windows Phone Central
    10-10-2014 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    10-10-2014 10:16 AM
    even with the terrible way Verizon has handled (is handling) this whole episode with the Icon, my enthusiasm for windows phone has not diminished

I cannot see any circumstance in which I would want to switch back to Droid or buy one of the new flexible, hair ripping out iPhones

I just think I will be using a WP on another carrier
    10-10-2014 10:17 AM
    even with the terrible way Verizon has handled (is handling) this whole episode with the Icon, my enthusiasm for windows phone has not diminished

I cannot see any circumstance in which I would want to switch back to Droid or buy one of the new flexible, hair ripping out iPhones

I just think I will be using a WP on another carrier
    the sony xperia z3 compact looks like the perfect phone for me, but I don't think its coming to the us. my Verizon contract ends in December, so i'll ride the waves till then.
    this thread should take me all the way there.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-10-2014 10:22 AM
    I love how AT&T jumped in on that thread :)
    RokTikiTiki and DavidinCT like this.
    10-10-2014 10:22 AM
    After taking a breath I am trying to look at this differently:

1) Maybe it's possible that Microsoft stopped production of the 929 to either build a updated/new phone or concentrate on their current phones and this really isn't Verizon's doing.
    2) Verizon will reintroduce the Icon with 8.1 preinstalled and there will be a new SKU
    3) The 735 and maybe an updated 830 will be introduced soon that they feel will be a better sell for them then the Icon. The 822 had double the memory then the other 8XX phones when it come out- Maybe Verizon's 830 will be updated.
    4) I suspect 1-3 may be more likely because we have confirmed reports that Verizon intends to update their old HTC windows phones to 8.1, read comments by the editor here that the 735 is mostly confirmed for Verizon and Microsoft/Nokia's website still says the 8.1 is in testing for Verizon's WP8 phones not discontinued (like it says next to T-mobiles 810). I don't think Verison is getting rid of Windows phones.

It does stink and it is suspect since everyone has been on Verizon about Cyan for months and months and we have gotten no comments from either Verizon, Nokia, or Microsoft desipte all of them being directly asked about it. It is very strange but I'm trying to be positive.
    To your point, Microsoft also bought Nokia with 25,000 employees and this summer laid off 12,500 + just a few days ago said they were stopping all production at some huge plant in India.

At this point, I am mostly faulting Microsoft for lack of any announcements one way or the other!
    10-10-2014 10:31 AM
    I dont' see at&T in that thread. I do say someone saying they are going to AT&T which is not the same thing. I will be as well. I'm going to do everything in my power to get a 1520.3 yellow, but by thanksgiving I will have Cyan one way or another even if its a crappy at&T 1520 or Verizon pushing Cyan.

I love how AT&T jumped in on that thread :)
    10-10-2014 10:40 AM
    I dont' see at&T in that thread. I do say someone saying they are going to AT&T which is not the same thing. I will be as well. I'm going to do everything in my power to get a 1520.3 yellow, but by thanksgiving I will have Cyan one way or another even if its a crappy at&T 1520 or Verizon pushing Cyan.
    https://twitter.com/ATTDeals/status/520395842130558977
    10-10-2014 10:46 AM
    They did jump in and say something like "It's a perfect time to switch". I started that thread and got the notifications for it. They musts have deleted it as it's no longer there. If i didn't have to shell out a ton of money to get out of my Verizon iw ould do it in a heartbeat. I have two lines (1 Icon + 1 M8 WP) so it will not make much sense financially to do so.
    10-10-2014 10:47 AM
    I dont' see at&T in that thread. I do say someone saying they are going to AT&T which is not the same thing.
    AT&T jumped in two hours later...

t.jpg
    I'd call that "the same thing"...
    10-10-2014 10:47 AM
    Its interesting. That didn't come up on the original link (and still doesn't), but the newest link posted it is there.
    10-10-2014 11:02 AM
    Its interesting. That didn't come up on the original link (and still doesn't), but the newest link posted it is there.
    Twitter can be tricky sometimes. It might look like the end of a conversation, but if you continue to scroll, it'll load more tweets.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-10-2014 11:17 AM
    It still doesn't.
    "Brian Campagna ‏@brian5476 15h15 hours ago

@VZWSupport @TKolar What the hell is wrong with you? When will Icon users get the Cyan update?"

Is the last tweet on the link I said that didnt' have at&t, but if I use the other link AT&T is the last tweet.

Twitter can be tricky sometimes. It might look like the end of a conversation, but if you continue to scroll, it'll load more tweets.
    10-10-2014 11:25 AM
    We all know Verizon gives "slim to none" support for WP even tho they sell them. People threaten to move to another carrier over stuff like this and I'm thinking Verizon could care less as they seem somewhat arrogant when it comes to WP. So I was wondering just how many Verizon customers actually use a WP as their primary device. Obviously Verizon has these numbers and if it's like 1% of their sales or maybe even less than that, then it kind of makes sense for their attitude regarding all things windows. IMO Verizon wouldn't even notice if suddenly all their customers using windows phones just evaporated and left. The small dent that would make would quickly be filled in anyway by android and iPhone. So we're obviously dealing with a company that would actually prefer to temporarily lose a very few customers to be rid of what they consider to be a white elephant.
    MikeSo, Kieta and aximtreo like this.
    10-10-2014 11:28 AM
1,870 ... 72737475