Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I used to think that AT&T was the worst carrier ever. Everyone I knew had dropped calls. The bills were crazy expensive. I think the calls are better and I believe they may be just as good as verizon on pricing. I've confirmed that at least on android Verizon is the slowest carrier to pass updates. It looks like they are also the slowest carrier to pass Windows Phone updates as well. AT&T has a better selection of phones (The Icon is still too small for me) and it seems to have gotten its updates faster than anyone else. I'm seriously thinking of dropping Verizon for AT&T.

Once again, if my Icon doesn't have Cyan by the end of the first week of September, my next contract is with AT&T.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Once again, if my Icon doesn't have Cyan by the end of the first week of September, my next contract is with AT&T.

I would agree 100% but, I cant give up my Unlimited data, if AT&T would match it and give me it, I would move over myself....

Not willing to give that up when I use 6-8gb a month on my phone and that would cost me a LOT more with AT&T...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
AT&T has shown a commitment to update WP quickly, I will probably switch to them for my next phone. Verizon has been a let down.

Still have to admit, they are getting some cool WP exclusives....and I am sure in a week or 2 we will have Cyan....

With getting these exclusive models, I would say they have a commitment to Windows Phone but, Maybe at the corporate level but, not at the stores (due to commission and fanboys)

But, still, no excuse now for not releasing it but, even Android users on Verizon know of their SLOW speed on releasing updates....Nothing new for Verizon, it was not 5 years ago, it's not today....

It's just something you live to learn with if your a Verizon customer... Cant complain about things you cant change.....Wait, yes, I can !

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to think that AT&T was the worst carrier ever. Everyone I knew had dropped calls. The bills were crazy expensive. I think the calls are better and I believe they may be just as good as verizon on pricing. I've confirmed that at least on android Verizon is the slowest carrier to pass updates. It looks like they are also the slowest carrier to pass Windows Phone updates as well. AT&T has a better selection of phones (The Icon is still too small for me) and it seems to have gotten its updates faster than anyone else. I'm seriously thinking of dropping Verizon for AT&T.

Oh I blame the lack of QWERTY sliders as the reason why the phones are too small. I used to have an HTC Arrive (windows phone 7 with a landscape QWERTY sliding keyboard) and it was perfect because the keyboard was the size of the screen. Even at 5" the keyboard on the Icon is too small and it uses half the screen which sucks. I want either a dual screen phone or another landscape QWERTY slider.

When my contract is up in September, I am going to AT&T. The range of Windows Phones to choose from over there gets me so jealous that I have Verizon.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
When my contract is up in September, I am going to AT&T. The range of Windows Phones to choose from over there gets me so jealous that I have Verizon.

Why? Probably the top two windows phones on the market right now are the Icon and the HTC One, both of which are only with Verizon right now.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'll take Verizon's network reliability over fast upgrades. Because, that is what I am (and every Verizon customer) is paying for.

I guess each one has to balance their wants and needs. Believe it or not, there are some areas in the US that AT&T coverage is better than Verizon but, those places are getting less and less. GSM does have some advantages, as if the phone supports the network, you can take a overseas phone and drop your SIM and go.... Something you CANT do with Verizon...

Is it a real problem if I want it all ? Reasonable time updates on phones and a good dependable network ?

Hmmm....I guess no one can have it all.... :(

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I'll take Verizon's network reliability over fast upgrades. Because, that is what I am (and every Verizon customer) is paying for.

+1 , and that's the bottom line. Worth paying extra for. Out west Verizon rules. Anyone considering leaving for att should do a trial over there on a prepaid for a month. Judge for yourself. Unfortunately the time we really need service, is when were down a backroad someplace. Here att is crap on back roads.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone considering leaving for att should do a trial over there on a prepaid for a month. Judge for yourself.

This is a good suggestion. I would definitely do that. I live in Chicago land, both carriers seem strong here. Out in the country, Verizon probably has an advantage. But for me, that's only like 5% of the time.

If at&t gets a 1520 successor, and Verizon doesn't. I'd really learn towards AT&T.

Edit: By the way, Verizon, not that they're reading this thread - notice how the conversation has shifted from Cyan to switching to AT&T.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling the future.... my crystal ball is telling me, this week the Nokia ICON will get Cyan.... WOW, really ?

Just then I took the Crystal ball and smashed it at the wall... BULLSH*T, this is Verizon we are talking about... I guess the Crystal ball does have a clue....

:)

Come on Verizon, get your crap together and just release this dam update....wtf..

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
This is a good suggestion. I would definitely do that. I live in Chicago land, both carriers seem strong here. Out in the country, Verizon probably has an advantage. But for me, that's only like 5% of the time.

I switched from AT&T to Verizon and have been thus far unimpressed with the coverage. I live in NH and places where AT&T has LTE, Verizon is only showing 1X. Dropping a ton of calls. Hate the fact Verizon makes me pay for visual voicemail and cant stand it is a separate Verizon App. The only thing keeping me is the fact I travel north and verizon is the only carrier as you approach the Canadian border. Other than that, I am blaah to my experience.

The only reason I switched carriers was to get the ICON, came from 1020 and wanted the newer hardware and form factor. Now if we can only get cyan rolled out...it will take some of the sourness away.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This will be the week....I can feel it in my bones. Or is that rain...yeah it'll rain this week. Maybe next week then.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I asked one of those Magic 8 Balls the question: Will Verizon release update 8.1 and cyan this week for the Icon? the answer was "My Reply is No" :angry:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset on my WP 8.1.1 (Preview) yesterday, and did a restore from backup. That reminded me of 2 things if I go and do a recovery to WP 8.0 using the Nokia Software Recovery tool (as I plan to do if Cyan comes out before Preview install fix).

1) will that allow me to restore a backup from WP 8.1.1? Or does the backup have to be from the same or previous OS version?

2) will it at least allow me to get backed up text (SMS) messages back into 8.0 (if I do a fresh start after restore)? Since this shouldn't be OS version dependent, I hope that's the case. This is a more pressing concern.

Anyone know?

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Walk into the Verizon store like...

david-ortiz-smashes-phone-o.gif

Attachments

• 794564046.jpg
    794564046.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 22

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset on my WP 8.1.1 (Preview) yesterday, and did a restore from backup. That reminded me of 2 things if I go and do a recovery to WP 8.0 using the Nokia Software Recovery tool (as I plan to do if Cyan comes out before Preview install fix).

1) will that allow me to restore a backup from WP 8.1.1? Or does the backup have to be from the same or previous OS version?

2) will it at least allow me to get backed up text (SMS) messages back into 8.0? Since this shouldn't be OS version dependent, I hope that's the case. This is a more pressing concern.

Anyone know?

The last time I went back to 8.0 and did a restore, it restored from my last 8.0 backup which was like 6 months prior. I freaked out at first but then remembered my current backup was under 8.1.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The last time I went back to 8.0 and did a restore, it restored from my last 8.0 backup which was like 6 months prior. I freaked out at first but then remembered my current backup was under 8.1.

Were you able to get text messages back?
Can text messages be restored even if after the hard reset you choose to start fresh? They are independent of the main backup, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo