Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Here's the transcript from a chat I just had with a Verizon sales rep. Take it with a grain of salt as these people don't always know what they're talking about.

Me: Quick question - Nokia announced today that they're rolling out an update for my device, Nokia Lumia Icon. I was wondering when I can expect Verizon to release this update?

VZW Rep: ok you should see the update within 48 hours

Me: Really?

VZW Rep: Yes

VZW Rep: thats correct

Me: Is that true for the Nokia Lumia 928 as well?

VZW Rep: yes thats correct

VZW Rep: While i have you here can i ask you do you have a tablet ?

Me: I do! A Microsoft Surface 2.

Me: Did Verizon actually tell you that the update will be out within two days?

VZW Rep: What would you say if i told you i could get you a new tablet at only $29 a month and 1gb of data free for life !?

VZW Rep: Usually when the company releases it then within 48 hours you will get it​

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yea i put no stock in this... But one could hope.

You have to imagine that it will come quicker for the Icon then the 928, but who knows.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
He sounds confused, like when VZW releases an update, you should see it within 48 hours. Not the manufacturer.

You're probably right. If Verizon's roll out of Black is an indication, we may be waiting as long as a month.

Black roll out announcement from Nokia, January 9th, 2014 http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/01/09/lumia-black-update/

Verizon rolls out black update to Nokia Lumia 928, February 11th, 2014 http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-black-now-available-lumia-928-verizon

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
And queries from carriers have been known to be a case of them not knowing their *** from their elbow when it comes to this sort of thing. ie they have no clue what they are talking about and just feeding you complete bs to close the query.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Back in the late 50's, Kruschev, the then Russian Premier, visited the US and to attend a UN Security Council meeting. If you google this particular time, you will find that he banged his shoe on the podium and made an *** of himself. Later that visit, he went to Iowa to see a real American farm. The joke then was he was in Iowa stepping in what he had tried to sell us for so long. Moral, no matter how loud you proclaim something, if it's BS it will always be BS. In this case the VZW Rep was Kruschev.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Back in the late 50's, Kruschev, the then Russian Premier, visited the US and to attend a UN Security Council meeting. If you google this particular time, you will find that he banged his shoe on the podium and made an *** of himself. Later that visit, he went to Iowa to see a real American farm. The joke then was he was in Iowa stepping in what he had tried to sell us for so long. Moral, no matter how loud you proclaim something, if it's BS it will always be BS. In this case the VZW Rep was Kruschev.

........ waitaminute ... Nikita Khrushchev, at age 120, works as a VZW rep?????!!!!!! Is he really Tithonus????

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You're probably right. If Verizon's roll out of Black is an indication, we may be waiting as long as a month.

Black roll out announcement from Nokia, January 9th, 2014 Nokia Lumia Black update begins rollout - Conversations

Verizon rolls out black update to Nokia Lumia 928, February 11th, 2014 Lumia Black now available for the Lumia 928 on Verizon | Windows Phone Central

Yea, I would not count on getting it 48 hours....If we did, I would be really impressed.

The big thing I was wondering about is, Because Nokia released it, does this mean the carriers just got it ? Or is this after a 30-60 day window ? If Verizon just got it today, I would not count on seeing for 40-60 days...

Impress me Verizon, get us this update in 48 hours or less..... Come on, you can do it !!!!! :)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I talked to a VZW rep here, and she was honest and said that they are not told when the updates are actually rolling out. And that they get them when everybody else does.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Downloading it now!
Checked for update this morning and there was nothing, but decided to check now again (after 1 PM Eastern) and it's available... hope it goes well!

garbagedrew

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep and it sounds like it's probably going to take a while. A long while. I asked her about the most recent Windows Phone update and stated other carriers were already pushing it out. She said they definitely had the update but couldn't see a rollout schedule for passing it to their customers but assured me I would probably get it soon. She then clarified that she was referring to the update for the Nokia Icon from May 7, as seen here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e....com/support/software-updates/&token=LFmiJGuq
Clearly she did not see the new Windows 8.1 Update or the Cyan update to that. Makes me think Verizon customers are in for a LONG wait. At this efficient rate of theirs, we'll get Cyan come winter. :cry:

Last edited:

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Once it passes testing they put it on the schedule, the reps won't see it until it's almost here. So the reps really have no clue. We can't put much weight in what they say one way or another.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep and it sounds like it's probably going to take a while. A long while. I asked her about the most recent Windows Phone update and stated other carriers were already pushing it out. She said they definitely had the update but couldn't see a rollout schedule for passing it to their customers but assured me I would probably get it soon. She then clarified that she was referring to the update for the Nokia Icon from May 7, as seen here: Advanced Devices - Software Updates | Verizon Wireless
Clearly she did not see the new Windows 8.1 Update or the Cyan update to that. Makes me think Verizon customers are in for a LONG wait. At this efficient rate of theirs, we'll get Cyan come winter. :cry:

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't rolled out by September, to be completely honest. We just need to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte