Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
What's the big difference between the Icon and the 930? CDMA radios. I'd imagine that's the extra testing that is causing this update to take longer than the 1520 on AT&T. Hopefully it won't be much longer (tired of 8.1 only apps already ...), but the news about 8.1 Update 1 made me feel that we'll always and perpetually be behind ...

Airlid

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
What's the big difference between the Icon and the 930? CDMA radios. I'd imagine that's the extra testing that is causing this update to take longer than the 1520 on AT&T. Hopefully it won't be much longer (tired of 8.1 only apps already ...), but the news about 8.1 Update 1 made me feel that we'll always and perpetually be behind ...

Hearing that there is an update to the update just adds to the frustration of being left behind.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I thought since they were basically the same that we would get cyan straight away. But Verizon has a different idea.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I wish I knew we were at least close to it being released as I'd go ahead and backup my stuff and roll back to 8.0 and just deal with 8.0 until Cyan is released. But I have a feeling we'll get the 8.1 update before Verizon releases Cyan.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

The big difference is how CDMA works. CDMA is NOT a network, it is a protocol that runs on a network. CDMA requires certain security keys that are directly tied to the carrier. That is why a Sprint CDMA phone won't work on Verizon and vice versa.

As far as testing. Verizon has SEVERAL different phones running several different OS's on its network and is legally responsible for the security of its network and to ensure its customers (us) are not exposed to unauthorized data breaches. Personally, I'd rather them be thorough and make sure everything works. As far as quicker updates like iOS. If Microsoft had an agreement similar to Apple, then yes that would be great. But the ironic part is that iOS is NOT any more secure just because Apple says so. And I would bet a pay check that if the latest version of iOS opened Verizon's network up to a major security breach, that agreement goes away and a HUGE lawsuit would follow.

garbagedrew

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I am tired of waiting for Verizon to push this update. I now have Windows Phone Update 1 installed (8.10.12400.899 - 8.10.14147.180) and am able to enjoy the latest the OS has to offer, but no thanks to Verizon. They really need to address their slowness when it comes to pushing updates. I would still be sitting at Windows Phone 8.0 if I were to wait for the slow carrier to push the initial 8.1 update.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I am tired of waiting for Verizon to push this update. I now have Windows Phone Update 1 installed (8.10.12400.899 - 8.10.14147.180) and am able to enjoy the latest the OS has to offer, but no thanks to Verizon. They really need to address their slowness when it comes to pushing updates. I would still be sitting at Windows Phone 8.0 if I were to wait for the slow carrier to push the initial 8.1 update.

I don't think a month to two is too long to wait for the official from Verizon. I'd rather them take the time and get it mostly right on the first attempt. The ICON, while a beautiful phone does have some issues that need addressing, wifi, glance or tap to wake hopefully, etc. So I say give them til what August 15th? Or slightly there after before we call out the hounds. :)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been a WP owner on Verizon since day one. I seem to remember there being a specific day of the week that they rolled out updates. Does anyone remember if that's true and what the day is? I think it's Thursdays...

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I can't even argue with you.

Before the DP program, the Portico update for the 8X took a long mother****ing time. Sour taste and all, like chomping on Warhead.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been a WP owner on Verizon since day one. I seem to remember there being a specific day of the week that they rolled out updates. Does anyone remember if that's true and what the day is? I think it's Thursdays...

The push out updates regularly, on every day starting with a Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss