Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So, any downsides to doing the Dev Preview? Will the official update overwrite it?

Sorry, been away from WP for a few months....

Airlid

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been running the developer update for about a week, so far I have found no major issues and alot of major pluses. Cortana, Swype, notifications, easy setting toggles, and many more. The battery may discharge slightly faster but not enough to be a problem.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been running the developer update for about a week, so far I have found no major issues and alot of major pluses. Cortana, Swype, notifications, easy setting toggles, and many more. The battery may discharge slightly faster but not enough to be a problem.

The only problem I've found is it's a slightly more battery intensive than WP8 is. And I presume that some of that battery drainage will be fixed with the Cyan firmware.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I've found is it's a slightly more battery intensive than WP8 is. And I presume that some of that battery drainage will be fixed with the Cyan firmware.
I think that's also because it's just DOING more as well. If you turn off a lot of the new background things like Cortana, you'll probably get similar battery performance.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I ran Dev 8.1 on my icon for about a month and it seems like I would loose wifi signal a lot. It didn't matter if I was home or at work, whatever running on wifi would cut off. I then would power off/on and regain the connection and then it would just loose it again for no reason.
When I reverted back to just 8.0 non Dev, I have had strong wifi signal every since no matter where i have been.

garbagedrew

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the Developer Preview for a couple months and haven't had any random reboots or major issues. I have kept up with all the updates for it as well. Wi-Fi was fussy at first but now it working fine on both routers in my home. Only noticed slightly more battery usage but not enough to be alarmed about and according to All About Windows Phone, the official Cyan firmware update should fix this. allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20019_Windows_Phone_81_officialLumia.php
So far I haven't had any reason at all to downgrade back to 8.0. It doesn't look like anyone should have to downgrade either because Microsoft recently said that Developer Preview users should get the Cyan firmware update just fine. news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Confirms-Windows-Phone-8-1-Developer-Preview-Users-Don-t-Need-to-Downgrade-to-Get-Lumia-Cyan-453458.shtml

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I've just noticed the first wonky behavior running Preview for Developers on my Icon. Today it started reporting via Storage Sense that my memory was full. System is using 24 GB of space!!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Fitbit flex with a Lumia 635 in the discounted bundle from MS store and now I really want Cyan to come to my Lumia so I can use the Fitbit sync with it... By the way, the 635 is a great little phone, but it's annoying that this $110 phone has Cyan and my $550 Icon still doesn't...

Get moving with it, Verizon!

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hard reset and restore from backup seems to have sorted it out.

System: 2.56 GB (previously 24 GB)
Apps & Games: 1.08 GB
Photos: 119 MB
Music: 17 MB

25.26 GB Free

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
This is the best rumor we have so far.

Source: Indistinguishable's joints.

After researching various sites and consulting with Indistinguishable's joints, I believe if Verizon chooses to release 8.1 for the Icon they will do so after they release a new model which comes with 8.1 (such as the 830 next month). I suspect they will do this as an effort to sell more phones to those eager for 8.1.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
After researching various sites and consulting with Indistinguishable's joints, I believe if Verizon chooses to release 8.1 for the Icon they will do so after they release a new model which comes with 8.1 (such as the 830 next month). I suspect they will do this as an effort to sell more phones to those eager for 8.1.

Is there a precedent for that? I was trying to remember how it was with WP7.5 but the Trophy was the only WP7 device released on Verizon.

I hope you're wrong. Good God I hope you're wrong ......

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Is there a precedent for that? I was trying to remember how it was with WP7.5 but the Trophy was the only WP7 device released on Verizon.

I hope you're wrong. Good God I hope you're wrong ......

It's unlikely, but possible... And if we don't get this update by the end of the first week of September, my next contract will be with AT&T.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Update me or else. I love it. But curious, where do you go after at&t's next future update lags getting out? Sprint? ��

It's not intended to be a threat to Verizon. But it's clear that AT&T gets their WP updates out faster. This is Nokia's flagship phone on Verizon. I expect it to get the update before 2013's Nokia flagship on AT&T.

Cell/data service is now comparable in my area. AT&T is $10 cheaper/month. And on the whole, AT&T has more WP's that I'm interested in than Verizon. And now, AT&T is getting big WP software updates to their customers quicker.

What reason do I have to stay? As a consumer making decisions, you have to cut your losses at some point and make a decision that you're satisfied with. If I don't have this update on my Icon by the end of the first week of September, I'd be more satisfied moving to AT&T.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It's not intended to be a threat to Verizon. But it's clear that AT&T gets their WP updates out faster. This is Nokia's flagship phone on Verizon. I expect it to get the update before 2013's Nokia flagship on AT&T.

Cell/data service is now comparable in my area. AT&T is $10 cheaper/month. And on the whole, AT&T has more WP's that I'm interested in than Verizon. And now, AT&T is getting big WP software updates to their customers quicker.

What reason do I have to stay? As a consumer making decisions, you have to cut your losses at some point and make a decision that you're satisfied with. If I don't have this update on my Icon by the end of the first week of September, I'd be more satisfied moving to AT&T.
I'd probably be on at&t myself but for the better coverage on Verizon. Would be cheaper for sure, but hey don't you have a ULdata plan you would lose? Even my 6GB is better than what att would give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss