Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Just went into a Verizon store today, looking for an Icon for my wife. I thought 8.1 had already come to the Icon and my wife really wants Cortana... well we got the bad news from the sales rep that 8.1 isn't available yet. :( We asked about availability dates and they said "as soon as the HTC One is released." Huh? According to these reps, Verizon wants to hold off on 8.1 until all Windows Phone updates are available, and this will coincide with the launch of the HTC One Windows 8 phone launch. I asked what that date was and the reps did not know, but guessed the end of the month.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Got some really bad news, guys. Talked to my friend who runs all operations for Verizon. He's pretty cool, he knows everything about Verizon's Windows Phone stuff and he cares a lot. I asked him about 8.1/Cyan and he said "Not until the future." Can you believe that?

Well at least we have something to look forward to, right?

😎

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm upset at the wait only because i was really excited for the Fitbit app. Now it turns out it will only Sync with Cyan...and who knows how long that will take to come out.

That's the only reason I care as well, actually. I have WP8.1.1 running just fine on my Icon, but would really like the Fitbit sync to work. Not a huge deal though considering it syncs automatically when I walk by the PC in the kitchen but still...

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Also have 8.1 Update and having the same issue with my fitbit hope cyan fixes this...

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
And here I was about to post that I feel lucky that this week will be the week Verizon releases Cyan to use Icon users.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping the same, but probably won't happen. Never know, though!

I was almost so confident that I was tempted to roll back to 8.0 yesterday just so I would be ready the instant it was released. I did do all my backups though so I'm ready if it happens to get released this week.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I live in the MA/CT area. Vzw support mentioned 8.1 is scheduled to "roll out in Sept, and rollouts are typically done in waves, so look or it in Sept. and Oct."

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I was almost so confident that I was tempted to roll back to 8.0 yesterday just so I would be ready the instant it was released. I did do all my backups though so I'm ready if it happens to get released this week.

I need to do my photo and video backups...

Come on, Verizon. Make me regret not backing my crap up sooner...

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't wait anymore so I went back to PFD and got GDR1. I had already went back to 8.0 but ill have to go back again but I'm gonna wait for the flares indicating that we got it for us Iconers.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just went into a Verizon store today, looking for an Icon for my wife. I thought 8.1 had already come to the Icon and my wife really wants Cortana... well we got the bad news from the sales rep that 8.1 isn't available yet. :( We asked about availability dates and they said "as soon as the HTC One is released." Huh? According to these reps, Verizon wants to hold off on 8.1 until all Windows Phone updates are available, and this will coincide with the launch of the HTC One Windows 8 phone launch. I asked what that date was and the reps did not know, but guessed the end of the month.

You can join the Windows Phone Preview for Developers program and that will update your OS to 8.1 w/ Cortana. You will then only have to wait for the Cyan firmware update to be released.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
You can join the Windows Phone Preview for Developers program and that will update your OS to 8.1 w/ Cortana. You will then only have to wait for the Cyan firmware update to be released.

And in so doing you roll the dice. Will you be one of the lucky ones with no wakeup problems and other delays? Mine worked fine for about a week, then started taking up to several seconds just to respond to the power key and wake up. Oddly the 928 never does that - it loves DP8.1. So does the HTC 8X. But my Icon doesn't like it much.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so, as expected, the One M8 for Windows has 8.1.1. Could that mean that Verizon has been waiting to test Update 1 for it's devices as well instead of just 8.1 and THAT is the reason for the delayed release (compared to AT&T, that is)? Considering that they want to push VoLTE (though it's nationwide launch got delayed to 'by the end of the year'), wouldn't it make sense that they'd want 8.1.1 to be the version that they focus on?

Of course I have mixed feelings about this, but it does ease the wait if it is the case.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
And in so doing you roll the dice. Will you be one of the lucky ones with no wakeup problems and other delays? Mine worked fine for about a week, then started taking up to several seconds just to respond to the power key and wake up. Oddly the 928 never does that - it loves DP8.1. So does the HTC 8X. But my Icon doesn't like it much.

This is the only well-known bug for the Icon with the WP8.1. If that's "rolling the dice" it's fine with me... the benefits far outweigh the negative of a slight delay on the power button (not even all the time, but most of the time).

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine has the delayed wake up, and honestly I don't care. First off I'm sure it will be fixed when cyan hits, and it's only maybe a couple seconds, well worth dealing with for all the benefits of 8.1. How impatient are we becoming as a society when we whine about our smartphones taking a couple seconds to wake up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99