Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Were you able to get text messages back?
Can text messages be restored even if after the hard reset you choose to start fresh? They are independent of the main backup, right?

Yes, I did get them back after I enrolled back in DP then did a restore I got my current text messages back. So if you are on DP 8.1 and do a rollback to 8.0 and try to restore it will restore whatever your last 8.0 back was not your 8.1 backup.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Why? Probably the top two windows phones on the market right now are the Icon and the HTC One, both of which are only with Verizon right now.

I like having options. Seems like AT&T gets nearly every Nokia device that is released (correct me if I am wrong), while Verizon has what, 3? It's absurd. But what everyone is saying on here is making me shy away from them due to their service.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I like having options. Seems like AT&T gets nearly every Nokia device that is released (correct me if I am wrong), while Verizon has what, 3? It's absurd. But what everyone is saying on here is making me shy away from them due to their service.

There are four WP you can get on Verizon right now. Icon, HTC One, Samsung Ativ SE, Lumia 928

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
There are four WP you can get on Verizon right now. Icon, HTC One, Samsung Ativ SE, Lumia 928

Seriously, it's turning into the app situation. How many phones do you actually need? You're only gonna buy one, so how is 3 (or, as you actually pointed out, the number is 4) not enough?

Verizon has a good selection of WP's available. The only thing they are missing are the niche devices, such as the 1520/1320 (phablet) and 1020 (THE cameraphone). Other than that, what more could you want?

There was a time that AT&T was the place to be for WP's, unquestionably. But that's the past. Verizon has finally caught up.

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I suspect VZW isn't going to release Cyan until they hit a sales target on the HTC One. That has been their MO with android phones, seems likely for WP phones too.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, it's turning into the app situation. How many phones do you actually need? You're only gonna buy one, so how is 3 (or, as you actually pointed out, the number is 4) not enough?

Verizon has a good selection of WP's available. The only thing they are missing are the niche devices, such as the 1520/1320 (phablet) and 1020 (THE cameraphone). Other than that, what more could you want?

There was a time that AT&T was the place to be for WP's, unquestionably. But that's the past. Verizon has finally caught up.

It really comes down to how many of these circuses you've been through with Verizon.

When wp7 first came out, we wanted Samsung & Nokia WP7's. Where were they? AT&T.

When WP8 came out, we wanted the Nokia Lumia 920. Where was it? AT&T.

When the greatest smart phone camera ever, the Nokia Lumia 1020 came out, we of course wanted it. Where was it? AT&T.

When the first (and only) WP8 phone/tablet, Nokia Lumia 1520 came out, we wanted it. Where was it? AT&T.

Am I glad that we got the first shot at the Icon/930? YES! But those memories are still fresh. And this update situation has refreshed the sour taste that has been left in our mouths time and time again.

Edit: And it doesn't help that some of us, myself included, would still rather have the Nokia Lumia 1520.3.

Last edited:

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't think we'll get it. I specifically remember when I ordered my Icon, it said it was advertised as 8.1 ready, but they've since removed that language. Sprint & T-Mobile has specifically confirmed it's coming but VZW just says "No news yet." I think they paid to get the M8 and not rolling out updates is one way to get people to choose it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we'll get it. I specifically remember when I ordered my Icon, it said it was advertised as 8.1 ready, but they've since removed that language. Sprint & T-Mobile has specifically confirmed it's coming but VZW just says "No news yet." I think they paid to get the M8 and not rolling out updates is one way to get people to choose it.

Don't be silly. It's coming. It just comes down to priorities. WP updates are not high on the list, but they are on the list.

Josh Reynolds2

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Don't be silly. It's coming. It just comes down to priorities. WP updates are not high on the list, but they are on the list.

I was just going to say that VW really has nothing to gain by not releasing it. I guess one could make the case that they want to push HTC sales with 8.1 on it but how many people are really going to ditch their Icon just for the update, especially if they are in a contract with no upgrades?

Oh they will release it. After that, they will boast about their flagship Windows Phone having 8.1.

JamesJonesWI

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
VZW, AT&T, etc. Why carrier specific variants? Didn't anyone learn their lesson from the original iPhone? I guess when your a wireless carrier and you can't offer any less headache, better pricing than your main competitors people will choose you based on hardware. Seems pretty weak though. These exclusives are just silly and probably more expensive in the long run to produce, market and support.

And WHERE'S MY UPDATE!!!! I have one of the newest Lumia's on the Market and I'm in the US. It seems every 14 y.o. with a 3 year old device in India has the new software.

C'mon man.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
VZW, AT&T, etc. Why carrier specific variants? Didn't anyone learn their lesson from the original iPhone? I guess when your a wireless carrier and you can't offer any less headache, better pricing than your main competitors people will choose you based on hardware. Seems pretty weak though. These exclusives are just silly and probably more expensive in the long run to produce, market and support.

And WHERE'S MY UPDATE!!!! I have one of the newest Lumia's on the Market and I'm in the US. It seems every 14 y.o. with a 3 year old device in India has the new software.

C'mon man.

I agree with you James, iPhones are updated by the manufacturer, why can't MS have the same pull?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you James, iPhones are updated by the manufacturer, why can't MS have the same pull?

It's because Apple was really aggressive in its negotiations with AT&T; later Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. At the same time, Microsoft was still focused on Windows and Office and was getting a lot of bad PR because of Vista. Which, unfortunately, took a lot of resources to fix with Windows 7. In other words, Ballmer was behind the eight ball BIG TIME. Which Apple capitalized on.

And even though Android is the leading OS. It is so fractured that the carriers are kind of lukewarm to new Android updates.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if this will help expedite the process: Lumia Cyan update now live for AT&T Lumia 1020 and 1520 Preview users | Windows Phone Central

Kinda makes sense if this is what Verizon was waiting for a fix...

moaning and groaning that I left AT&T for the ICON.

Verizon will do what is called a "soak test" leading up to the OTA. It has its own set of "preview users" (not all of them VZW employees) and they will get the update first to see how everything goes make tweaks as needed, then pump out the update. I just don't know how to become one. :/

iconuser165

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I think that there are two Verizon employees who have been designated to test the WP8.1 upgrade for the Icon. One employee is stationed in New York City, the other lives in Los Angeles. These two 'employees' have a natural enmity toward one another; one loves the sunshine and the other loves canyons constructed of skyscrapers. They can't agree on anything--or simply refuse to agree.

That, my friends is our problem. We should be promising (sending) gifts to these individuals with notes of supplication: Please, please, please release our upgrade. Children all over the world have received this upgrade--and yet, We Have Not! What will it take for us to receive the promised update?

Or, We can put on our big boy (girl) pants and wait for the process to play itself out.

Last edited:

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Verizon will do what is called a "soak test" leading up to the OTA. It has its own set of "preview users" (not all of them VZW employees) and they will get the update first to see how everything goes make tweaks as needed, then pump out the update. I just don't know how to become one. :/

"Soak" test? What is that? are you speaking of a Smoke Test?

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
"Soak" test? What is that? are you speaking of a Smoke Test?

Nope. They hold it under water to a depth on one meter for 30 minutes and make sure it continues to run. :p

Soak test is nothing more than a beta test. You release the software to a certain subset of users and make sure all the bugs are out. Or most of them anyway.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think that there are two Verizon employees who have been designated to test the WP8.1 upgrade for the Icon. ......

Only 2 ? WTF ? So we will have to wait forever and the odds are it's going to be buggy as hell....

and yet I cant freaking wait to get it and did I ever tell you I hate Verizon sometimes ? More and more AT&T phones and other carriers get it but, here we are on the US's largest carrier and we have to wait the longest....

C'mon Verizon just release this dam update..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo