Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
If it comes in mid September it better include a fix for the WiFi. Because if it doesn't it will lead me to believe it's a hardware issue and can't be fixed with software. Which will lead me to the new HTC. I'm so sick of having crappy wireless connectivity on my Icon.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the Wi-Fi had been the only problem I've had with mine. Brand new netgear router maybe 20 feet away, yet it keeps losing the connection or giving me a fraction of the speed I should be getting.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the Wi-Fi had been the only problem I've had with mine. Brand new netgear router maybe 20 feet away, yet it keeps losing the connection or giving me a fraction of the speed I should be getting.

Yup, bought a new AC router figuring that would make it better and at first I thought it did, nope. Got to work this morning and it would only list my home network and those around my house. Had to reboot to pick up my work wifi.

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I have an older (think it's a Rev 2) Netgear WNDR3700 N600 router. It's about 3 years old. My HTC One(m7) used to disconnect and reconnect like crazy. It helped for awhile when I switched to AES encryption for some reason... coincidence maybe. I flashed the router with custom firmware from DD-WRT and it was stable after that. My Icon has performed just as well as the HTC One on my wifi and seemed ok on my brothers router. Not sure what router he has but his net is typically slow all the time and probably not a good thing to base an opinion on. I'll try and do a speedtest on my laptop and one on the phone when I get home. If it varies greatly I'll post back. My net is only 7mb tho so .... may not come into play.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Odd I haven't had any more WIFI issues with the Icon vs all other wireless devices in my house. Also I found it to be comparable to the performance of the Nokia 928.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
If it comes in mid September it better include a fix for the WiFi. Because if it doesn't it will lead me to believe it's a hardware issue and can't be fixed with software. Which will lead me to the new HTC. I'm so sick of having crappy wireless connectivity on my Icon.

I'm having problems with my WiFi also on my Icon. Bought a new Netgear router because I thought the problem was my old Linksys router. I keep having to reboot the router. At work, however, I don't seem to have any problems.

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I used Speedtest.net app an got 5.74mbps with the Icon and 7.22 with my laptop best run. WiFi on the Icon does seem a bit less stable than my computer as far as download stability. It does however stay connected ok. Switching to LTE I got 11.94 down and 12.25 up. I live in an area extended roaming area and LTE is sporadic here. I've had as low as 4.xx download and as high as 29.xx.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a WNR2000v2 Netgear router and haven't had any issues on 8.0. I did for about a month was on the Preview for developers and had some wifi issues. I would look wifi at work and couldn't connect to the wifi at my neighborhood pool. Switched back to 8.0 and no issues at all. Wondered if the Preview was bad for some reason.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to a Verizon Business rep yesterday and asked about the availability of WP8.1/Cyan on the Icon. He got in touch with their Smartphone Engineering team and reported back to me that the update for the Icon will be released on September 1st and seemed appropriately clued in.

Obviously, take it with the grain of salt that "speaking to anyone who is not the actual Engineering Team" necessitates.... But there you go!

Alright, team. This is the rumor we're hoping is true. I was hoping it was wrong two weeks ago... But after two additional weeks of disappointment, maybe we can finally get this update.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Not buying it. September 1 is Labor Day and it would be nothing short of shocking to see anything done.

It'll be released when they're ready to do it and not a second before. I'm looking forward to it but anyone on VZW should be used to waiting for updates. They are always last...that's just the way it is.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Implied? Really? It says on September 1, not around September 1 or the week of September 1.

That out of the way, two things:

1. I do hope you're right.
2. I'm not holding my breath.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Implied? Really? It says on September 1, not around September 1 or the week of September 1.

That out of the way, two things:

1. I do hope you're right.
2. I'm not holding my breath.

Some of you chaps just love to argue everything.

1.) There's no reason Verizon couldn't push the update out on Labor Day. It's one of the biggest retail dates of the year. Verizon Customer Service is 365 days a year. It's a couple clicks of a mouse to release the update.

2.) When a business rep says "The first of September" they may not necessarily mean the first of September. It could be better stated "The first week of September," or "The beginning of September."

Two business representatives have said two different things on these forums in terms of release dates. The first, as we're discussing, said September 1st. The second, in a different thread, said September 15th. Does September 15th mean the exact 15th? Or is it just the middle of September? Given that these are business customer service reps that are trying to answer questions with the limited amount of information they have, I'd say it's more of an estimate.

What a silly thing to even talk about...

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Some of you chaps just love to argue everything.

1.) There's no reason Verizon couldn't push the update out on Labor Day. It's one of the biggest retail dates of the year. Verizon Customer Service is 365 days a year. It's a couple clicks of a mouse to release the update.
I'm not trying to start an argument so lets get that out of the way.

Now I have been with VZW since the beginning. But, ever since they have started with the OTA updates to their phone, not once have they ever "pushed" an update on a US holiday. Even though they operate customer service 365, it's never happened.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to start an argument so lets get that out of the way.

Now I have been with VZW since the beginning. But, ever since they have started with the OTA updates to their phone, not once have they ever "pushed" an update on a US holiday. Even though they operate customer service 365, it's never happened.

Classic Historian Fallacy :).

I don't think it'll be released today. I'm just hoping it gets released this week.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. It will be this week or sometime this month. All signs point to a Sept release - based the posts of other members, the two calls I've made to Verizon sales and support, and the recent release of the HTC phone with WP8.1.

On a side note: my Icon runs perfectly fine with WP8. Whats the big deal with WP8.1? I've seen it on the tmobile 635 and its not that much different. Voice search on WP8 and WP8.1 yields the same bing results. The action center would be fun to have but I can live without it. The camera still takes great photos.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. It will be this week or sometime this month. All signs point to a Sept release - based the posts of other members, the two calls I've made to Verizon sales and support, and the recent release of the HTC phone with WP8.1.

On a side note: my Icon runs perfectly fine with WP8. Whats the big deal with WP8.1? I've seen it on the tmobile 635 and its not that much different. Voice search on WP8 and WP8.1 yields the same bing results. The action center would be fun to have but I can live without it. The camera still takes great photos.

Actually, it is a lot different. You touched on the voice search which is ok in WP 8, but Cortana brings so much more functionality. I've never been big on voice commands, but I find I've been using Cortana for a lot of everyday tasks.

Tile transparency makes it look much better aesthetically and makes nice wallpapers worthwhile.

One of my biggest frustrations with WP8 was lack of true notifications, the toast notifications just went enough. So, the addition of notification center and quick actions is a huge step forward.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
One of my biggest frustrations with WP8 was lack of true notifications, the toast notifications just went enough. So, the addition of notification center and quick actions is a huge step forward.

I've noticed that people who have the biggest problem with this is past Android users. I never really saw an issue with the start screen. As a toast message would pop up, then a number would show on the tile, or if you have it larger, it will show the last message.

With that being said, I tend to use it a lot and I have never, in depth used a Android device. It's a nice feature if you missed the toast popup..

Could I live with out it and go back to the 8.0 style ? Hmmmm....yea, I think I could but, it's just progress, people complained and they got it...It's not a bad feature once you get used to it but, it does take away from the live tiles....

No Cyan today....I really hope this is the week, this is really getting old....but, I think I have been through this on every Verizon phone I have owned...

anon(9047871)

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that people who have the biggest problem with this is past Android users. I never really saw an issue with the start screen. As a toast message would pop up, then a number would show on the tile, or if you have it larger, it will show the last message.

As a recent Anroid to WP convert myself, I would agree with you. I've had my Lumia Icon for 2 full days now. Initially, I was put off by the lack of notification bar, but as I slowly figure out the configuration of my Start screen, I am learning that it's just a different way of getting notifications when you miss the toast pop ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077