Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBM425

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't know who to feel more upset with: Verizon, or Nokia. I bought the Lumia Icon in late July thinking I would just turn on the phone and get Lumia Cyan on the first update download. Now it's September, Cyan still isn't available for the Icon, yet now Verizon is selling the HTC M8 WP that has Cyan preinstalled! The reason I didn't buy the M8 Droid was the flawed camera, so I'm really happy with the Icon, but I want the Cortana feature and other updates that make the great Icon camera even better. I guess I'm not the only frustrated Icon user, but it's small comfort knowing I'm not the only one.

Today I just heard about the Lumia Denim update. My first thought was, are they going to skip Cyan for the Icon and go straight to Denim? That actually isn't a bad idea, but I really wish Nokia/Microsoft and Verizon would be more proactive and update the Cyan rollout schedule more frequently or be more forthcoming about the update process.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I read that. It was NOT an official AT&T information release. The article's writer also states "file this as rumor." It was an unofficial info release by an AT&T employee, with the caveat saying that it was her opinion ONLY. Did the rumor pan out? Yes, but that is besides the point. That employee risked her job and her credibility by leaking that info. Her job, because I'm pretty sure she signed a non-disclosure agreement; her credibility because had AT&T pushed back the release date she would have been eating her words.

Yes, I've been to the Verizon forums and it is laughable, the amount of whining and complaining going on. People ranting about breach of contract and all that garbage. Check your contract, nowhere does it say that Verizon is required to give you or anybody else timely updates; or updates at all. It is the typical, "I want my stuff now, if not sooner" mentality that has come to define our society.

P.S. Are we there yet?

Her job is to respond to questions. She responded to the question with the information that was given to her specifically to respond to that question.

The disclaimer is just to cover AT&T. Similarly, Rubino categorized it as a rumor to protect the reputation of WPC should something go wrong.

This is all far more than we'll ever get from Verizon. And yes, Verizon boards are irritating. But I choose to be annoyed with Verizon for stifling this already struggle platform rather than my fellow WP8 users.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know who to feel more upset with: Verizon, or Nokia. I bought the Lumia Icon in late July thinking I would just turn on the phone and get Lumia Cyan on the first update download. Now it's September, Cyan still isn't available for the Icon, yet now Verizon is selling the HTC M8 WP that has Cyan preinstalled! The reason I didn't buy the M8 Droid was the flawed camera, so I'm really happy with the Icon, but I want the Cortana feature and other updates that make the great Icon camera even better. I guess I'm not the only frustrated Icon user, but it's small comfort knowing I'm not the only one.

Today I just heard about the Lumia Denim update. My first thought was, are they going to skip Cyan for the Icon and go straight to Denim? That actually isn't a bad idea, but I really wish Nokia/Microsoft and Verizon would be more proactive and update the Cyan rollout schedule more frequently or be more forthcoming about the update process.

The W8 has WP8.1 without Cyan. Cyan is the firmware specific to Lumia handsets ONLY. So just be patient. If you want WP8.1 you can download the Preview for Developers app and get the WP8.1 Update 1. Once Verizon makes Cyan available, you can update and all is good.

I doubt Verizon will skip Cyan and go straight to Denim. I foresee, Microsoft will release Denim in developer preview first. Kinda like what Nokia did last year when it released its Black update via developer preview.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Her job is to respond to questions. She responded to the question with the information that was given to her specifically to respond to that question.

The disclaimer is just to cover AT&T. Similarly, Rubino categorized it as a rumor to protect the reputation of WPC should something go wrong.

This is all far more than we'll ever get from Verizon. And yes, Verizon boards are irritating. But I choose to be annoyed with Verizon for stifling this already struggle platform rather than my fellow WP8 users.

I don't find them annoying. I quite literally find them laughable... meaning I read through them and actually laugh out loud at the comments. It's like watching a daytime soap opera. The characters are shallow and vain and you pretty much know how it's going to end.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't find them annoying. I quite literally find them laughable... meaning I read through them and actually laugh out loud at the comments. It's like watching a daytime soap opera. The characters are shallow and vain and you pretty much know how it's going to end.

Well... That's why I don't waste my time posting on there... I just noticed that you do.

Good luck, i guess?

I much prefer this community.

alowisney

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I read some threads on the Verizon forums and all I can say is wow. I'm annoyed by Cyan taking so long to come out, but they take it to another level. Getting the FCC involved? That's just nuts!

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't get the online tantrums..

It will come eventually and don't get me wrong, I want it just as bad as the next person but me throwing an online tantrum won't make it come any faster.

Until it comes, I will keep rockin' the Icon as it sits and be happy. It's an awesome device and soon enough it will be even more awesome! :)

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I read some threads on the Verizon forums and all I can say is wow. I'm annoyed by Cyan taking so long to come out, but they take it to another level. Getting the FCC involved? That's just nuts!

No it's not.

Enough complaints and we can lay the ground work for taking the decision and ownership away from the carriers.
Just like what happened with Phone Locking to a carrier. They lost that ability/luxury/perk on their end, due to the number of complaints.

It is what allows others to take compatible phones to other carriers.
Verizon can no longer lock a phone to them exclusively.

So no, it isn't nuts.

Carriers should not have the ability to decide whether an update of any kind for any phone get's released at all or when.
Cyan improves the capabilities of the Camera and other features of the phone
Denim Update will add more features that are fully capable on this phone.
How would you feel if your ISP said they wouldn't allow you to update your PC/Tablet/ other hardware, till they checked it out and were good and ready to release them or even put a Wireless Switch in your house to run multiple computers.

Are you honestly going to stand for that? No, you won't.

Denim is supposed to be released to carriers this fall, soon.

When Nokia and MS said they released these updates to the carriers, it is no longer in MS and Nokia's hands
it's up to carriers now, for what exactly? Specifically, not hearsay, not opinion, not some excuse, exactly why.
If it's to drive sales of new devices, that is a problem. The manufacturers aren't doing that, they developed and released the update, why would they waste their time?

No this is squarely sitting on the shoulders of carriers.

So yes, placing complaints with the FCC about these practices and ferreting out the true reasons why (testing doesn't take this long), is not nuts.

Taking the decision away from carriers is not nuts.
It should be up to the manufacturer, much like it's not entirely up to Dell (other than the fact I MIGHT void my warranty, it's still not up to them) if I update my BIOS of my Intel board they installed in my system, if one is available from Intel.
Or updating the software and firmware of the video card installed, Dell has ZERO say in the matter.
Neither should Verizon or any other carrier.

If they are going to take ownership of the final testing and release of the software and firmware of the phones they carry
They should also field every single call placed about problems with said OS and firmware.
Go ahead, try to call any carrier about a software problem on a phone, good luck, all your going to get is, call the manufacturer or developer.
If that is the case, I rest my case, they have ZERO business touching the firmware or OS Software in any way shape or form on any mobile device they sell or allow on their network. Just like your ISP has ZERO say in what you do with or to your PC.

The more people start to realize this and take up complaining about it to the FCC and others, Legislation will come that will remove it from them.

The carriers will not say what they are doing, why it takes as long as it takes, they don't tell any one anything about it. How people are ok with that is beyond me.

Cell Phones, actually high end Smart Phones are not just about making phone calls anymore.
When I pay upwards of $500 for a phone, I am paying for a mobile computing device that happens to make phone calls, not the other way around.

I don't think people think of them that way, but that IS the way it is.
Why people refuse to see Smart Phones this way is beyond me.

Think about it, you can control Drones, robots, Christmas lights displays
unlock your house door, turn lights on and off from the other side of the planet
These are not just phones anymore.

Here's another little tidbit for you....
They really don't want to sell you that much of a data plan anymore.
They encourage us to use WiFi instead of the Cell Data.
So, if that is the case, and all they are is purely turning back into Cell Phone call service.
That is yet another nail in the coffin for carriers to have any say about updates.

Last edited:

Ian Baldwin

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
having just downloaded the latest 8.1 and cyan on my Nokia 520 i now find that I can no longer since with my computer or turn the phone on without plugging it in to the charger and neither can I turn it off without removing the battery , WHY?

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
having just downloaded the latest 8.1 and cyan on my Nokia 520 i now find that I can no longer since with my computer or turn the phone on without plugging it in to the charger and neither can I turn it off without removing the battery , WHY?

First issue is you posted in the Icon forum, you probably need to do a hard reset of you phone.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Tepid, while I'm just as annoyed by the delay as everyone else, the problem with your argument is that these phones have to be able to correctly operate with the carrier's tower without causing interference. These are transmission devices. If you update your phone and it fails to make or receive calls, or the call quality goes out the window, Verizon is the one that has to field the complaints. Rightly or wrongly, they always tend to take their time making sure the update is thoroughly vetted on their network, and they take that to testing the device all over the states. It's possible that they actually found an issue in the testing, and that's the reason for the delay. My 822 took forever to get the first update, but we beat AT&T and others with the next update.

In my opinion, Verizon just takes too friggin' long, and that's the bottom line. I want the Dolby recording...like now. I want Denim as soon as it's available. But we have to wait. Sucks, but I'm not sure the FCC is going to be to willing to force a carrier to put a phone on it's network before it's been validated. But if they do...great...we'll start getting those updates quicker. I guess we'll see.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think VZ is waiting because their were issues with the original release of 8.1, they would have to release it with one of the latest updates that are available. After putting 8.1 DP I had to live with resuming screens, phone getting hot, and battery drain until a few followup updates came out. Might have been update 1 that fixed the issues, I can't remember now.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Tepid, while I'm just as annoyed by the delay as everyone else, the problem with your argument is that these phones have to be able to correctly operate with the carrier's tower without causing interference. These are transmission devices. If you update your phone and it fails to make or receive calls, or the call quality goes out the window, Verizon is the one that has to field the complaints. Rightly or wrongly, they always tend to take their time making sure the update is thoroughly vetted on their network, and they take that to testing the device all over the states. It's possible that they actually found an issue in the testing, and that's the reason for the delay. My 822 took forever to get the first update, but we beat AT&T and others with the next update.

In my opinion, Verizon just takes too friggin' long, and that's the bottom line. I want the Dolby recording...like now. I want Denim as soon as it's available. But we have to wait. Sucks, but I'm not sure the FCC is going to be to willing to force a carrier to put a phone on it's network before it's been validated. But if they do...great...we'll start getting those updates quicker. I guess we'll see.
I heat that argument all the time.

Prove it.
Keep in mind, just cause you and others like to push that "line" doesn't make it true.
I have found no evidence that it is.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Complaining about Verizon taking a long time to roll out updates is like complaining about the weather. Good luck changing it.

Exactly how do you think the phone locking to a carrier got lifted?

All it takes for evil to continue, is for good people to do nothing.

go ahead, be a lemming.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I remember all my phones on Verizon getting updates very quickly if not first with the exception of cyan and and like 7.8

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Made an impulse buy at the Microsoft Store and picked up an AT&T 635. Really wanting cyan for the Icon now, sensor core is a really neat feature that Microsoft should be advertising more. Frustrating to pay so much for a device that has all the hardware it needs but is being purposefully held back by Verizon.

I can wait and its not that huge an issue, but what I will say is that this has made me look at AT&T and I'm surprised by how much better their plans are compared to Verizon. Think it's a no brainer if you are a Windows Phone user to move to AT&T, looks like they are now much cheaper (considering cost of data) and provide better support for your device compared to both VZ and T-Mobile.

Something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss