Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Is impressive how with every new firmware update they improve the camera in the phones, Nokia already have the best cameras of any smartphone and with every new update they make it even better....

Very impressive to me

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Tepid, just how are you "destroying" the testing arguments? By saying they aren't true? We've had VZW folks come on here before and detail what Verizon does during testing. As an Engineer myself I can pretty much guarantee you that they found an issue they aren't willing to release with. Remember, this phone's primary use case is on CDMA, not GSM/LTE (in terms of voice). Why else would they delay the software? They don't exactly have a bumper crop of WP flagships to sell. It's this and the One (M8). And most current users are too early in to upgrade. Further, they don't care if you choose one or the other as long as you sign on to a long contract. So what's their motivation?

Knowing the stuff that can go wrong with radio tech, I'm much more inclined to believe that it's an issue that is causing this delay, as opposed to some sinister plot to make you hate your phone and want off their network for it (which is what these kind of antics would cause if they were doing it on purpose and people found out).

alowisney

May 19, 2014
Visit site
How would you feel if your ISP said they wouldn't allow you to update your PC/Tablet/ other hardware, till they checked it out and were good and ready to release them or even put a Wireless Switch in your house to run multiple computers.

Are you honestly going to stand for that? No, you won't.

You can stop using this argument because it doesn't hold any water. What an ISP controls is access to their network, same as a wireless carrier. In the case of an ISP, it's the cable or DSL modem and in the case of a wireless carrier it's the phone/tablet/access dongle. Try using an unapproved modem with your ISP and see how they like it. They will tell you what standard your device has to comply to and if it doesn't, it doesn't get on the network.

ISPs don't care about your software updates on your computers because as far as they're concerned, that's your problem. They care about the connection working from the access point (modem) to their network, nothing at all on your side of the modem. Try calling up for tech support at your ISP for connection issues and the first thing they'll have you do is remove your computer from the router and plug it directly into the modem to try to prove that the problem is on your end so that they can wash their hands of it.

Wireless carriers don't have this luxury. Correctly or not, users blame the wireless carrier when a call gets dropped or their phone doesn't work as expected. They're probably even more gun shy now as users will blame them for loss of data on smart devices. They test these updates because they're covering their butts. Could they do it faster? Probably. Are they doing it for some nefarious purpose? I seriously doubt it. All of the fuss getting raised about updates is probably a major annoyance for some level of the company, an annoyance that costs them time and therefore money. They're testing these updates because they don't want these handsets costing them MORE money.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here we go; another week of hoping.

It seems like my Icon is heating up a good bit more than it did when I first got DP. Not sure if this will (can?) be addressed by the Cyan firmware update, but I am crossing my fingers - the heat is getting irritating.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So who really feels like today is going to be the day? I do lol. Fridays are the saddest for me because I know there is no update possibilities for two days

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I remember thinking when i got the phone we were going to get Cyan in like May/June :p

I think we all kinda assumed that, being the newest and most powerful WP8 phone in the US, The Icon would be one of the first to get Cyan/WP8.1. The notion that this exact hardware was also called the first official "WP8.1 hardware" at the announcement of the Nokia Lumia 930 added validity to that assumption.

Nope...

Perhaps nothing till Denim update but who knows, anything and everything is possible

Ridiculous... The Icon needs WP8.1 to be competitive at all in the marketplace of iOS6 & Android. Verizon is crippling this phone.

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think we all kinda assumed that, being the newest and most powerful WP8 phone in the US, The Icon would be one of the first to get Cyan/WP8.1. The notion that this exact hardware was also called the first official "WP8.1 hardware" at the announcement of the Nokia Lumia 930 added validity to that assumption.

Nope...

Ridiculous... The Icon needs WP8.1 to be competitive at all in the marketplace of iOS6 & Android. Verizon is crippling this phone.

HTC One is exclusive to Verizon so other phones gotta wait. Just the cost of doing business :)

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I really hope the delay has to do with the WiFi. It ticked me off disconnecting and reconnecting yesterday I wanted to throw the phone. Not to mention not even seeing the network until a reboot. Please. Please let cyan fix the WiFi :)

nolan533

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded to the Icon last week.(my first windows phone)
Day 2 I installed the developers preview of 8.1 and it runs flawless. I've not had one problem yet.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
HTC One is exclusive to Verizon so other phones gotta wait. Just the cost of doing business :)

Not just other phones, other customers. Their own customers have to wait. Meaning my friends and family who have an Icon are now sitting without the most recent software update because Verizon wants to sell a completely different phone. And no, they're not going to use the developer preview because they're not techie.

AT&T's entire Lumia line is now on Cyan/Wp8.1. And they're getting the HTC One with Windows Phone as well. This is why my next contract will be with AT&T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb