Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to the Icon last week.(my first windows phone)
Day 2 I installed the developers preview of 8.1 and it runs flawless. I've not had one problem yet.

Except you're not getting the full functionality of the phone, including BT LE and SensorCore until you have Cyan. That's what's bugging me. I have a phone that has capability for more but Verizon is keeping me from utilizing it.

Last edited:

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Verizon must have run into some showstopper bug with Cyan/8.1 to take this long, I have full confidence the 3 people testing and working on Windows Phone in the basement at Verizon headquarters will eventually figure out the problem :winktongue:

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I really hope the delay has to do with the WiFi. It ticked me off disconnecting and reconnecting yesterday I wanted to throw the phone. Not to mention not even seeing the network until a reboot. Please. Please let cyan fix the WiFi :)

One trick I found to avoid rebooting when a network isn't found is to choose another network (like on mine, usually there are several from earlier in the day and it's "stuck") and try connecting to that. Use a bogus password if they're all secure. Obviously it won't be able to connect, but doing that essentially resets the wireless and the network you're looking for will show up.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Verizon must have run into some showstopper bug with Cyan/8.1 to take this long, I have full confidence the 3 people testing and working on Windows Phone in the basement at Verizon headquarters will eventually figure out the problem :winktongue:
How big of a bug can it be? The HTC one seems to be running fine. I'd be satisfied if they release cyan for the developers preview. I called Verizon and they directed me to Nokia Nokia directed me to Verizon. They couldn't even give details about cyan on the dp version

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
How big of a bug can it be?

Well, between all the wireless issues, occasional battery drain, and XBOX MUSIC, it's not really too shocking. I mean, the xbox music change alone would be enough to really frustrate your average user and make it near impossible to use.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Just got 2 icons, upgraded to 8.1 using DP. Did not know about VZW taking this long to release a firmware. I love the phone and mostly the new OS. We have the wifi disconnect and sudden reboots issues. I guess we are all stuck until Verizon releases Cyan. Maybe by the end of my contract in 2 years we will get these....

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I received word the update will be released this Thursday the 11th, only if Mr. Stinguish agrees to wait patiently and stay with Verizon. This same source also predicted the Pastriots beating the fish this past weekend.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I received word the update will be released this Thursday the 11th, only if Mr. Stinguish agrees to wait patiently and stay with Verizon. This same source also predicted the Pastriots beating the fish this past weekend.

At this point I think I would rather have them delay it another 2 weeks and give us Denim and Cyan in one update.... If we FINALLY get Cyan, I am not looking forward to the 3 months before we get Denim (and I have had 8.1 for a while, it's the new features in Denim I WANT)

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
At this point I think I would rather have them delay it another 2 weeks and give us Denim and Cyan in one update....

But how do you know they'll release Denim so soon? If we're waiting this long for Cyan I'm thinking we'll wait at least as long for Denim to be released.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Based on the Verizon wireless release schedule for Android 4.4.x phones, Verizon has no problem skipping incremental versions. The Razr Maxx jumped from 4.4.0 to 4.4.4, the Galaxy S4 I believe jumped from 4.3 to 4.4.2. It does seem likely we will see Denim before I stop seeing nasty milkshake straw sized varicose veins on my shorts wearing co-workers' chicken legs. I mean before cyan.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Based on the Verizon wireless release schedule for Android 4.4.x phones, Verizon has no problem skipping incremental versions. The Razr Maxx jumped from 4.4.0 to 4.4.4, the Galaxy S4 I believe jumped from 4.3 to 4.4.2. It does seem likely we will see Denim before I stop seeing nasty milkshake straw sized varicose veins on my shorts wearing co-workers' chicken legs. I mean before cyan.

TMI Dude... T. M. I.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon made a deal with HTC not to update the Icon for a certain period of time after the M8 was released. Probably to push the sales of the M8...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
But how do you know they'll release Denim so soon? If we're waiting this long for Cyan I'm thinking we'll wait at least as long for Denim to be released.

The difference is that WP8.1/Cyan is an OS AND firmware update; Denim is just a firmware update. Therefore, we'll get WP8.1/Cyan first because Denim will probably need WP8.1 to work. Also, because Denim is firmware only, that update should role out a bit faster. Verizon did a fairly decent job getting Black out in a timely manner last year. And I foresee Microsoft releasing Denim via developer preview like they did with Black last year.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I think Verizon made a deal with HTC not to update the Icon for a certain period of time after the M8 was released. Probably to push the sales of the M8...

Yes! This is the reason. I can smell it. I'm purchasing two Icons for my company today if I can my rep to finagle that $0 upgrade cost from two weeks ago. I'll try to squeeze out a cyan update as well.

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The difference is that WP8.1/Cyan is an OS AND firmware update; Denim is just a firmware update. Therefore, we'll get WP8.1/Cyan first because Denim will probably need WP8.1 to work. Also, because Denim is firmware only, that update should role out a bit faster. Verizon did a fairly decent job getting Black out in a timely manner last year. And I foresee Microsoft releasing Denim via developer preview like they did with Black last year.

Ahhh good point. I'm not familiar at all with Verizon's history of updates so thanks for putting it into perspective.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

MS hasn't released any firmware update with DP, only OS updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99