Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I still think that VoLTE is the hold up. Verizon wants to make sure the Icon works with it so it can brag about how many devices are VoLTE compatible when it starts heavily advertising it. It's the only thing that makes sense of this long delay to me ...

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
The probably wanted to wait until after the iphone6 is announced in the hopes of everyone wanting to get one. Wonder when it will be launched...

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that. You either want or don't want an iphone. Any changes to windows phone will not change that. Not at this point. In the future if people see what windows phone has to offer and it gets more mainstream support, yes it could happen, but not currently.

The probably wanted to wait until after the iphone6 is announced in the hopes of everyone wanting to get one. Wonder when it will be launched...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I still think that VoLTE is the hold up. Verizon wants to make sure the Icon works with it so it can brag about how many devices are VoLTE compatible when it starts heavily advertising it. It's the only thing that makes sense of this long delay to me ...

Hmmm... I don't think that is the case. We already have the ability to do voice over LTE with apps like Vonage and Skype (which does video too). To some of you this may sound like an over simplification, but, VoLTE is the same as VoIP except running over a LTE data network versus a "traditional" internet connection.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Did you guys see the latest WPCentral article? "Verizon HTC 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1 in late October", and nothing on the Icon!! What the ??? Verizon???!!!

alowisney

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'd be fine with waiting for Denim if Verizon would just tell us that's what's going on. The silence is the most annoying part. Heck, Denim may be out before we'd get Cyan anyway.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Might have to wear it forever because the rumor is....that Verizon is skipping over Cyan and going directly to Denim.... :)

So we might never actually see Cyan...

*sigh* Gee...isn't THAT heart warming. :straight:

Actually, I think Cyan will come then Denim. Amber rolled out about this time last year with Black following in Jan/Feb of this year. I think the hold up isn't Cyan specific. I think it's the WP8.1 side of it. Going from WP8.0 to WP8.1 is a more significant version update than going from Amber/WP8.0 GDR2 to Black/WP8.0 GDR3 or Cyan/WP8.1 Update 1 to Denim/WP8.1 Update 2 (or whatever they will call it).

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... I don't think that is the case. We already have the ability to do voice over LTE with apps like Vonage and Skype (which does video too). To some of you this may sound like an over simplification, but, VoLTE is the same as VoIP except running over a LTE data network versus a "traditional" internet connection.

I think you misunderstand. VoLTE is an standards initiative that the carriers are prepping for as an eventual transition away from the current voice technology. Once the network is ready, those with VoLTE enabled phones will be able to enjoy the benefits of that standard during calls to others with VoLTE enabled phones. This will only work on WP devices with a Snapdragon 80x or higher processor and WP8.1 Update 1. For WP right now, that is only one device, the newly released HTC One M8 for Windows.

If they want to advertise this service as a Verizon perk (as they did with XLTE), having as many devices available for the service as possible makes sense, at least to me anyway. In fact, they've already gone on record saying the number of devices is important. So we're waiting on Update 1 to be tested, not just 8.1 (which AT&T phones have). And to be tested with their new VoLTE network upgrades.

Rockinroofer

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
We, my wife and I are sick and tired of being sick and tired of our Icon's. I just want to smash it with a hammer every time I go to wake it up and have to wait 10 secs while it's resuming before I even get to the lock screen. We are on DP and have all the latest updates. Battery life sucks, wifi is weak, Bluetooth is hit or miss very annoying. Could be a great phone but we are ready to change.
I will give it till the end of the year ( my wife wants to leave now) and if it's not better we are done with windows. We came from Iphones never had any problems just wanted to try something new, so far we regret it. We are thinking of trying out android system next. Just no enjoyment when you curse your phone every time you pick it up. Just my thoughts on the Icon.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
We, my wife and I are sick and tired of being sick and tired of our Icon's. I just want to smash it with a hammer every time I go to wake it up and have to wait 10 secs while it's resuming before I even get to the lock screen. We are on DP and have all the latest updates. Battery life sucks, wifi is weak, Bluetooth is hit or miss very annoying. Could be a great phone but we are ready to change.
I will give it till the end of the year ( my wife wants to leave now) and if it's not better we are done with windows. We came from Iphones never had any problems just wanted to try something new, so far we regret it. We are thinking of trying out android system next. Just no enjoyment when you curse your phone every time you pick it up. Just my thoughts on the Icon.

Again, by not releasing updates for this phone, Verizon is further stifling the WP8 marketshare in the US.

nolan533

May 8, 2014
Visit site

The developers preview is not a finished product.
downgrade your phone to 8.0 and you will be happier with the Icon

I was running DP on mine and didn't realize the problems I was having until I downgraded.
WiFi, Bluetooth, battery life and slow startup.
my icon is a great phone now. I'll waite for the official upgrade to come out.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The developers preview is not a finished product.
downgrade your phone to 8.0 and you will be happier with the Icon

I was running DP on mine and didn't realize the problems I was having until I downgraded.
WiFi, Bluetooth, battery life and slow startup.
my icon is a great phone now. I'll waite for the official upgrade to come out.

I agree. If you're having that many problems, either downgrade to WP8 or try doing a hard reset on WP8.1.

But it's not that the Developer Preview isn't the finished project, it's that the finished project needs the updated firmware, Cyan, in order to play nicely with the hardware.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Again, by not releasing updates for this phone, Verizon is further stifling the WP8 marketshare in the US.

Yes they are, we use Verizon at work and have 127 phones with them 126 are Android and iPhone I have the only Windows phone. I did get 3 other people to try WP last time we renewed 2 didn't like it the other liked it just hated Verizon and went to AT&T and bought a 925 for his personal phone and went back to Android for his Verizon work phone.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
So, I really think we're waiting till Oct. The HTC announcement seems a little telling, they have a release date set. They didn't say, "pending approval" or "pending testing". There is no reason why they would need to wait other than VZW. So, I'm sure the Icon will wait too. :( Denim will come later, VZW plays it safe and is very conservative with changes. Something else that I think people missed, at least a couple pages back TC hinted that we had to wait because of VZW. He's had some good insight in the past with the 928 as he works for VZW corporate.

I understand the need to test updates, but to delay it's release for marketing reasons is not acceptable. Unfortunately MS doesn't have the clout to push carriers around and VZW doesn't care about customers. Think we could barrage VZW social media with negative comments enough they'd care?

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Think we could barrage VZW social media with negative comments enough they'd care?

From my dealing with Verizon on our business account at work for the past 7 years, I really don't think Verizon cares, and I honestly think that they have the "were the number 1 carrier in the US" attitude towards their customers, I refuse to use Verizon for my personal phones, even with our corporate discount, I pay less on AT&T than I would on Verizon, I have better coverage, I can use any GSM phone I want to, and after 10 years with AT&T I've only once had a problem with them and it was resolved quickly and satisfactory. Not ranting on Verizon, just stating facts with years of experience with each of these providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise