Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
my contract with verizon ends in december, does att have an icon or better equivalent? can i use the 930 on att?

Please don't take this the wrong way....Did you even look at the thread ? There are MANY discussions on using the ICON on AT&T or TMOUS....I'm a Verizon customer but, I believe the only problem is you don't get LTE on AT&T...but, that could of been changed... Look it up...

AT&T has the 1520, same phone but, with a 6" display...a big phone...

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, if it doesn't come this week I'm doing a hard reset. Hopefully it will resolve my connect/disconnect wifi problem I've been having at home. If it doesn't I'll downgrade to 8.0. But I sure will miss DP 8.1. :(

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, if it doesn't come this week I'm doing a hard reset. Hopefully it will resolve my connect/disconnect wifi problem I've been having at home. If it doesn't I'll downgrade to 8.0. But I sure will miss DP 8.1. :(

I still have a MAJOR heat problem on mine (Use for more than 5 min at a sitting and it's almost uncomfortable to hold). If I hard reset I lose a lot of save games and other things. I only want to do this once, so I have to deal with a really FREAKING hot phone till Verizon gets off their A$$ and actually releases it....

The way the rumor mill is going, I would not count on it this week or even next week :(

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The way the rumor mill is going, I would not count on it this week or even next week :(

Since I saw the news yesterday about how it's not coming for HTC phones until the end of October, I decided to just get the Dev Preview of 8.1. I have been having connectivity issues the past few weeks and hoped that the update would come to help fix that. Even though I'm still seeing issues I think the update may have helped a bit. Perhaps the Cyan update will help even more...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's Lumia 735 is coming to Verizon Wireless | Windows Phone Central

Well if it wasn't clear before, it is now. Verizon is holding off updating their current Lumia line to Cyan/WP8.1 for the sake of sales of the HTC One M8 and now the Lumia 735.

Verizon will have a mid-end Lumia with Cyan on it before their high end, Lumia Icon gets it. And they've been "testing" it for how many months?

Infuriatingly misguided business practices.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft's Lumia 735 is coming to Verizon Wireless | Windows Phone Central

Well if it wasn't clear before, it is now. Verizon is holding off updating their current Lumia line to Cyan/WP8.1 for the sake of sales of the HTC One M8 and now the Lumia 735.

Verizon will have a mid-end Lumia with Cyan on it before their high end, Lumia Icon gets it. And they've been "testing" it for how many months?

Infuriatingly misguided business practices.

Pure speculation on your part.

This entire thread is a massive downer with nothing but negativity. How about just enjoying the phone and speak with enthusiasm about what's coming?

Kind of a bummer to check this thread and read nothing but rants..

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
From my dealing with Verizon on our business account at work for the past 7 years, I really don't think Verizon cares, and I honestly think that they have the "were the number 1 carrier in the US" attitude towards their customers, I refuse to use Verizon for my personal phones, even with our corporate discount, I pay less on AT&T than I would on Verizon, I have better coverage, I can use any GSM phone I want to, and after 10 years with AT&T I've only once had a problem with them and it was resolved quickly and satisfactory. Not ranting on Verizon, just stating facts with years of experience with each of these providers.

I agree, Verizon is arrogant. The problem in our area is they have the best/only coverage hands down. It's a little better on the business side with a $200k/month bill, but they still don't listen much. If enough people make a stink, it starts to trickle out and social media is pretty high profile these days. Companies are paying lots of $$ to manage their image on social media. So, you never know.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
This entire thread is a massive downer with nothing but negativity. How about just enjoying the phone and speak with enthusiasm about what's coming?

Agreed! However I particularly enjoy Mr. Stinguish's bashing of anyone who posts silly rumors as fact and other inaccurate foolishness.

I love my Lumia with stable WP8. I'd like whisper sweet nothings to Cortana but I can live with out her since the voice search gives great Bing results. I don't have a problem with the update delay since Cyan and/or Denim are right around the corner and we'll probably get WP9 Egg Salad and WP9.1 Fish Tacos too.

Verizon isn't so bad either. I manage my company's corporate acct - our assigned sales goons bend over backwards to get us what we want. Incidentally, the Icon is sold out and on backorder until the 18th. I'm trying to get my assigned goon to honor the recent $0 sale price for the icon and at the same time find out more on the Cyan release date - which could be tomorrow!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Agreed! However I particularly enjoy Mr. Stinguish's bashing of anyone who posts silly rumors as fact and other inaccurate foolishness.

I love my Lumia with stable WP8. I'd like whisper sweet nothings to Cortana but I can live with out her since the voice search gives great Bing results. I don't have a problem with the update delay since Cyan and/or Denim are right around the corner and we'll probably get WP9 Egg Salad and WP9.1 Fish Tacos too.

Verizon isn't so bad either. I manage my company's corporate acct - our assigned sales goons bend over backwards to get us what we want. Incidentally, the Icon is sold out and on backorder until the 18th. I'm trying to get my assigned goon to honor the recent $0 sale price for the icon and at the same time find out more on the Cyan release date - which could be tomorrow!

I don't know what you're referring to. But I like you because you call me Mr. Stinguish.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Tomorrow ? LOL, I'll believe it when I see it.... **IF** that happened it could suck in a way, because then we will be waiting months for Denim...and not looking forward to that one....

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
We, my wife and I are sick and tired of being sick and tired of our Icon's. I just want to smash it with a hammer every time I go to wake it up and have to wait 10 secs while it's resuming before I even get to the lock screen. We are on DP and have all the latest updates. Battery life sucks, wifi is weak, Bluetooth is hit or miss very annoying. Could be a great phone but we are ready to change.
I will give it till the end of the year ( my wife wants to leave now) and if it's not better we are done with windows. We came from Iphones never had any problems just wanted to try something new, so far we regret it. We are thinking of trying out android system next. Just no enjoyment when you curse your phone every time you pick it up. Just my thoughts on the Icon.
I have none of these problems. None. I love the Icon. Then again, I'm still on 8.0 which I consciencely avoided because of reasons like yours.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Pure speculation on your part.

You miss the point. We do enjoy the Icon right now. We want to enjoy it even more with Cyan, (Miracast, better low light camera, and other improvements).

Yeah, you 're right, this thread is a downer, don't blame us, this thread wouldn't exist if Verizon got of their *** and released it like they should have already.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Because negativity and rants is going to make Verizon release it sooner right?

I'd love to have it right now but I am not going to rant about it. For all we know they hit a serious snag / issue and have done us a favor by not releasing it yet..

We can choose to be negative or positive. It is just a phone update after all.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I will say,, it may be getting close to time for a Class Action Lawsuit against ALL Carriers
Bring about Legislation that will demand they...

1.) Provide timely information regarding the update process
2.) Setting a dead line for when the updates Must be released to the public once it is in their hands
No delaying cause they have a new device coming out they want to sell first.
3.) If they are not willing to do this, they do not get to sell those devices.
Believe me when I tell you, this will NOT stifle high end devices.

I am NOT referring just to Windows devices, but ALL Devices that all Cell Carriers are going to sell.
If a Manufacturer/Developer is releasing an update to their devices, The Carrier should be held responsible
and comply with releasing them in a timely manner, or provide information as to why there is a delay.

This, going forward, should be a priority and a demand of all Cellular customers, across all carriers and ALL Devices that carriers sell.

The old days of having just a phone that makes phone calls are over, they are gone.
Those days ended when the smart phone became a Major Mainstream Device.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I will say,, it may be getting close to time for a Class Action Lawsuit against ALL Carriers
Bring about Legislation that will demand they...

1.) Provide timely information regarding the update process
2.) Setting a dead line for when the updates Must be released to the public once it is in their hands
No delaying cause they have a new device coming out they want to sell first.
3.) If they are not willing to do this, they do not get to sell those devices.
Believe me when I tell you, this will NOT stifle high end devices.

I am NOT referring just to Windows devices, but ALL Devices that all Cell Carriers are going to sell.
If a Manufacturer/Developer is releasing an update to their devices, The Carrier should be held responsible
and comply with releasing them in a timely manner, or provide information as to why there is a delay.

This, going forward, should be a priority and a demand of all Cellular customers, across all carriers and ALL Devices that carriers sell.

The old days of having just a phone that makes phone calls are over, they are gone.
Those days ended when the smart phone became a Major Mainstream Device.

Sorry but I find this to be silly..

I'd agree with your points IF the phone was non functioning or hampered. In that case, then yes the carriers should be on a tight timeframe for a fix.

Class action suit over an update? Come in now, this is spiraling out of control and is borderline insanity. BTW, if such an action was brought who exactly do you think will end up footing the bill for all the attorney's?

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

Think of the venting and criticism of Verizon as group therapy. I'll start. "Hello My name is Mr. Pastriots, I hit check for update on my phone at least 20 times a day. I need my cyan and I'm a update-o-hoilc." Discuss...

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I'd love to have it right now but I am not going to rant about it. For all we know they hit a serious snag / issue and have done us a favor by not releasing it yet..

We can choose to be negative or positive. It is just a phone update after all.

No, it's not, It's a Hand Held computer that happens to make phone calls,
If all you want is a cell phone,, don't buy a smart phone.
Till then, bite me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs