Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Just chiming in:

I've been bouncing around between 8.0 and 8.1 DP and I can certainly attest that WiFi is awful on DP, at least in my situation. On 8.1 I was getting maybe 5Mbps down but now back on 8.0 I'm getting 21Mbps which is approx what I pay for. :eck:

Yeah, since going back to 8.0 my wifi connection has been better so far. Haven't had the disconnect and re-connection problem I had on 8.1 DP. But there's so much I miss about 8.1. Also battery life has been better.

Last edited:

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, since going back to 8.0 my wifi connection has been better so far. Haven't had the disconnect and re-connection problem I had on 8.1 DP. But there's so much I miss about 8.1.

That was one of the main reasons (and the phone heating up and battery drain) why I went back to 8.0 from the DP, a hard reset helped to alleviate the problems some but not enough for me to be confident using my phone on a daily basis with DP installed

I have none of the problems with WiFi connectivity, the phone heating up, and battery drain with 8.0 but I do miss many of the features of 8.1

This long delay of Cyan/8.1 may be because Verizon ran into some of those same problems with the update and they are having problems trying to resolve them

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
That was one of the main reasons (and the phone heating up and battery drain) why I went back to 8.0 from the DP, a hard reset helped to alleviate the problems some but not enough for me to be confident using my phone on a daily basis with DP installed

I have none of the problems with WiFi connectivity, the phone heating up, and battery drain with 8.0 but I do miss many of the features of 8.1

This long delay of Cyan/8.1 may be because Verizon ran into some of those same problems with the update and they are having problems trying to resolve them
Same here.. My Icon on 8 has been solid! No WiFi issues, no heat, everything works great..

I am looking forward to 8.1 but I also want Verizon to take their time with it and release it in a rock solid state. Can you imagine the posts and threads if they released it in a bug infested state?

Like you, I am happy to wait for 8.1..

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
In this forum its just venting. Just my opinion.
I don't believe Verizon is paying much attention in here.
You want to hit them at home.
Facebook, twitter. Places like that they will have to take some notice.

I could be wrong but this is my opinion

They don't even respond on Twitter, I've trying. Can't get a response from them for nothing.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Verizon usually is last with their updates, but I can say, they are usually free of bugs when they do.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

tacisonwindowsphone

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I've never had a smart phone however, 2 months ago I decided I would buy an icon as soon as 8.1/cyan came out.

I am still waiting and now verizon says I can get the latest os and a new iphone in 4 weeks but there is not a single windows phone at this particular dealer that has the latest windows software. The icon was released earlier this year and the software released a month or two ago.

I actually like windows stuff and am not an apple fan. But read this forum for just 10 minutes and it appears that either verizon and/or microsoft has this entire phone software in chaos. You need to spend an hour a day trying to figure out which phone at which service provider can have the update and then determine which bugs are on that phone.

Yes. I could buy the phone and go to the developer site and get half of the updates (8.1) but I want to own a phone that is a tool not a hobby/job to figure out. Is this the process microsoft plans to use to capture an additional portion of the smart phone market?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've never had a smart phone however, 2 months ago I decided I would buy an icon as soon as 8.1/cyan came out.

I am still waiting and now verizon says I can get the latest os and a new iphone in 4 weeks but there is not a single windows phone at this particular dealer that has the latest windows software. The icon was released earlier this year and the software released a month or two ago.

I actually like windows stuff and am not an apple fan. But read this forum for just 10 minutes and it appears that either verizon and/or microsoft has this entire phone software in chaos. You need to spend an hour a day trying to figure out which phone at which service provider can have the update and then determine which bugs are on that phone.

Yes. I could buy the phone and go to the developer site and get half of the updates (8.1) but I want to own a phone that is a tool not a hobby/job to figure out. Is this the process microsoft plans to use to capture an additional portion of the smart phone market?

The HTC One M8 on Verizon does come with 8.1. Not sure if you meant no Nokia phones on Verizon have 8.1 or not. Depending on how 8.1/Cyan does on the Icon once released I may pick one of those up.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
since Cyan is coming out so "late" on the Icon, I wonder if Verizon will just skip that firmware and go straight to Denim.

Of if the Denim installation depends on Cyan being present first

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
8.1/Cortana is a dramatic improvement over 8.0, the HTC One M8 running 8.1 is pretty sweet. My ICON is currently collecting dust until 8.1 rolls out, or I need to take a high quality photo.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Do you think that htc made a deal with Verizon for 8.1 exclusivity for a limited time? You get the m8 but you have to do something for us.

I do think we will get denim quicker than it is taking for 8.1

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you think that htc made a deal with Verizon for 8.1 exclusivity for a limited time? You get the m8 but you have to do something for us.

I do think we will get denim quicker than it is taking for 8.1

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

It's possible I suppose. I don't think HTC has that much clout. I could see Samsung doing it though. They also make Windows Phones.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is the week.

Source: I flipped a coin and it landed on heads.

Didn't someone (if not you) say that last week and the week before and the week before ? :)

I see maybe about another 3 weeks....this will get us in the Denim area.... I really don't want to wait months more to get the 4K video and calling Cortana with out touching the phone...

Besides, I said 30 pages and we are only at 23....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I kinda feel like corporate Verizon does have a soft spot for Windows Phone. But the individual stores and representatives treat it like absolute garbage.

I think that everyone except the select few treat the platform like it's dirt under their feet.

I'd like to say that some branch at Corporate VZW has a soft spot for Verizon, but their continual lack of software/firmware support says otherwise.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
This is the week.

Source: I flipped a coin and it landed on heads.

I will put all my trust in my Magic Eight Ball, till I see "outlook is good", "as I see it yes", or "my reply is yes" I will not get excited

the real mystery is which is more informed about when we will get Cyan/8.1, the Verizon Reps or the Magic Eight Ball...smart money is on the Magic Eight Ball :winktongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs