Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get the lack of software/firmware support argument. Verizon has always been pretty prompt about updates. I honestly can not even think of a time I got screwed by them besides 7.8 on the trophy.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One M8 on Verizon does come with 8.1. Not sure if you meant no Nokia phones on Verizon have 8.1 or not. Depending on how 8.1/Cyan does on the Icon once released I may pick one of those up.

He said "at this particular dealer". Unless he's at a corporate owned Verizon store it's entirely possible that they don't sell the M8 with WP. The non-corporate stores I went to in April didn't even sell the Icon.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I knew about the M8 before buying my Icon and I went with the Icon for a few reasons. I don't like the look of the M8 with the top and bottom speakers. To me it looks odd and makes the phone larger than it needs to be.

I also don't like how the M8 incorporates the back, windows and search buttons along with the M8 not having the dedicated camera button. Lastly, the camera on the Icon is much, much better than the camera on the M8.

I will keep the Icon and wait for 8.1.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get the lack of software/firmware support argument. Verizon has always been pretty prompt about updates. I honestly can not even think of a time I got screwed by them besides 7.8 on the trophy.

I wouldn't exactly say that +2 months after OEM release is "prompt."

We have an example of a prompt roll out of firmware/software. AT&T has released Cyan/8.1 to every single WP8 Lumia they have.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't exactly say that +2 months after OEM release is "prompt."

We have an example of a prompt roll out of firmware/software. AT&T has released Cyan/8.1 to every single WP8 Lumia they have.

AT&T's rollout start no more than 2 weeks ago and almost every other previous update from Verizon came first if not very close to first. At least quicker than most AT&T devices.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Could have sworn it was more than 2 weeks ago AT&T started their rollout, cause they did what seemed like a model a week.

EDIT: AT&T started on July 24 with the 1520.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Oh, that's right, the Trophy never got 7.8 did it.... ??? Dam you Verizon, you screwed me on it, so know what I did ? I found a custom rom with 7.8 on it and with free Wi-Fi tethering... so you screwed me, I screwed you !!! :)

I did put directions in the Trophy area to get 7.8 and a custom rom.... and a handful of people did on here..

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
AT&T's rollout start no more than 2 weeks ago and almost every other previous update from Verizon came first if not very close to first. At least quicker than most AT&T devices.

Could have sworn it was more than 2 weeks ago AT&T started their rollout, cause they did what seemed like a model a week.

EDIT: AT&T started on July 24 with the 1520.

More like AT&T rolled out 8.1 to the LAST device two weeks ago.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I will put all my trust in my Magic Eight Ball, till I see "outlook is good", "as I see it yes", or "my reply is yes" I will not get excited

the real mystery is which is more informed about when we will get Cyan/8.1, the Verizon Reps or the Magic Eight Ball...smart money is on the Magic Eight Ball :winktongue:

I use a magic eight ball. I get more options that way. :winktongue:

P.S. Are we there yet?

Do you guys have a magic eight ball app on WP8? Or does it require Cyan, thus making it unusable on our flagship devices?

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if cyan will be skipped completely... if so... denim better come FAST!!! I really want raw, and 4k, and HDR and smart flash, and better 5hgz WiFi. Come on Verizon! We bought the best you offer... now treat us like it!!!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if cyan will be skipped completely... if so... denim better come FAST!!! I really want raw, and 4k, and HDR and smart flash, and better 5hgz WiFi. Come on Verizon! We bought the best you offer... now treat us like it!!!

I don't see why not. Denim would have ALL updates that Cyan has, plus all of the new stuff. Not to mention WP 8.1 Update 1 (many of us DP users already have).

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I asked my Magic 8 Ball app," will Verizon push out the WP8.1/Cyan update this week?" It told me, "very doubtful."

So there you have it folks. The Magic 8 Ball hath spoketh... lol

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love my Icon..if Cyan isn't released by the time iPhone 6 hits the stores, I will be switching to the dark side. At least then I won't be at Verizon's mercy when it comes to updates.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Switched back to my Moto X over the weekend, running the latest Android 4.4.4 which Verizon pushed in a very timely manor, taking 1 month to get out. Really nice to have bluetooth LE back and my Jawbone UP24 up and running again. To be honest I am finding myself rather bored with it, only real thing that's better and it is a lot better is having great app sharing back, it'll be really nice once apps are updated to 8.1 and implement new sharing features (looking at Poki and Pin.it).

Definitely great things ahead for Windows Phone, but as an Icon owner right now it really does kinda suck being 2 months since general release and with no hint of when it'll be out. Two months for the lifespan of a cell phone is a long time to be wasting without such major features.

Looking forward to being back on it once 8.1 is out.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Switched back to my Moto X over the weekend, running the latest Android 4.4.4 which Verizon pushed in a very timely manor, taking 1 month to get out. Really nice to have bluetooth LE back and my Jawbone UP24 up and running again. To be honest I am finding myself rather bored with it, only real thing that's better and it is a lot better is having great app sharing back, it'll be really nice once apps are updated to 8.1 and implement new sharing features (looking at Poki and Pin.it).

Definitely great things ahead for Windows Phone, but as an Icon owner right now it really does kinda suck being 2 months since general release and with no hint of when it'll be out. Two months for the lifespan of a cell phone is a long time to be wasting without such major features.

Looking forward to being back on it once 8.1 is out.

Same here put the ICON in a drawer for now, back to Android, and my personal phone is a 925 from AT&T so it already had 8.1 Cyan for over a month now. After using 8.1 Cyan it's hard to go back to 8.0, and yes I know I can load 8.1 DP on the ICON, but were not allowed to screw with the software on our company phones at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)