Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I just had a 56 minute call with several different techs from VZW and they told me that it's up to Nokia to get the update out, they sent me a web like to the Nokia website that showed all the Nokia phones and the availability of cyan and how it's still in the testing process, then the VZW tech told me that the update for the 928 is rolling out now, contrary to what the Nokia site states as it still being tested.
So any 928 users getting the update?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just had a 56 minute call with several different techs from VZW and they told me that it's up to Nokia to get the update out, they sent me a web like to the Nokia website that showed all the Nokia phones and the availability of cyan and how it's still in the testing process, then the VZW tech told me that the update for the 928 is rolling out now, contrary to what the Nokia site states as it still being tested.
So any 928 users getting the update?

They told you multiple lies. Congratulations on your one hour long phone call of being lied to.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate that people make the effort to call and contact Verizon, but yeah, it's useless. Asking Verizon customer reps about this is like asking a McDonald's cashier about their IT system upgrades.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well if O2 Germany is combining the two (Cyan & Denim) for release, logic would dictate that Verizon could do the same. Can't blame them for doing it that way as opposed to running two updates through QC in rapid succession. And if you pay close attention to other OSs, the released OS may have different numbers for each carrier. This way each carrier gets fixes for its services and such individualized rather than a blanket release. And in VZW's defense, only AT&T has rolled out Cyan in the US. I have friends on TMO that are in the same boat we are in. Patience is a virtue and all that.

~Ex

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
They told you multiple lies. Congratulations on your one hour long phone call of being lied to.
Right I know, but some times when I have free time I like to call in and well not just annoy, but ask then questions that they more then likely do not have the answers for, then tell them how wrong they are. I like when they tell me about Microsoft and this and that then after I tell them I have been working for then since before XP came it of alpha they get annoyed and start to blame everyone else...
But maybe the more they are bugger about this and the loss of functionality, or apps that will only work under 8.1 they will hurry the he** up

the last time i called i was overly polite and ended up with an extra 5gb's per month for the next 2 years...

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if they rolled out the update to include the firmware needed to enable VoLTE. My SO's G2 got an update which is assumed to be in preparation for just that about a week ago now. Maybe that can be my excuse as to why they were holding up the update.

now i can hear journey singing in my head " don't stop...believin"

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
That's what I posted yesterday...... It was the only thing that made sense.

He posted that info a week or two ago also, but no one noticed.

But that is just awesome, HTC says we'll sign the deal, but let's screw Lumia customers because that will encourage them to like us and buy our phone. Exclusive phone deals are annoying, but holding upgrades to make another phone look better is just wrong and is bad for the customer.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Not to sound like an a**, but you know how must users that are on the 8.1 dp are having problems with WI-FI, and battery problems. Could these and some of the other problems be holding things up? I understand that AT&T had already pushed out the update, but could VZW really be looking out for their customers and trying to get there problems fixed or at leased patched before the push out?

Or could these problems be related to the DP version only, does any one know if AT&T users are now having over heading or WI-FI problems since the cyan update?

I have a Lumia 925 on AT&T with the official OTA 8.1 Cyan update and No, no problems at all with anything, no WiFi problem, no overheating, no battery drain, same goes for the 1520. This is not a problem with the phones, this IS A PROBLEM WITH VERIZON!

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate that people make the effort to call and contact Verizon, but yeah, it's useless. Asking Verizon customer reps about this is like asking a McDonald's cashier about their IT system upgrades.
The rep I was just talking with was just as interested as when it will be released and she took all my info and sent an email to someone (probably her friend) but she said that she will be contacting me when she get a reply from her higher ups, she will be sending me a copy of that email.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
He posted that info a week or two ago also, but no one noticed.

But that is just awesome, HTC says we'll sign the deal, but let's screw Lumia customers because that will encourage them to like us and buy our phone. Exclusive phone deals are annoying, but holding upgrades to make another phone look better is just wrong and is bad for the customer.

I do not know all the rules and laws surrounding that kind of practice.
But it should be illegal to do that.

Companies are not obligated to sell products equally, that's ok.
But they should support the ones they do sell equally.
ESPECIALLY if they are taking the position of man in the middle for testing and deployments.

If Nokia/MS decide to release a new firmware every 3 months and Carriers say,
"well, we are going to wait till all the updates are released."
I can assure you, we will never see a single one of them.

Someone gonna say, "So, buy a new phone that has all the upgrades"

We should not have to do that when the ones we have are perfectly capable, AND
the manufacturer/developer have released an update to the device for free, of their own free will.

The Carrier should get ZERO say in IF they release it or not, unless it does not comply
with CURRENT FCC regulations. That should NEVER be the carriers decision, EVER.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I do not know all the rules and laws surrounding that kind of practice.
But it should be illegal to do that.

Companies are not obligated to sell products equally, that's ok.
But they should support the ones they do sell equally.
ESPECIALLY if they are taking the position of man in the middle for testing and deployments.

If Nokia/MS decide to release a new firmware every 3 months and Carriers say,
"well, we are going to wait till all the updates are released."
I can assure you, we will never see a single one of them.

Someone gonna say, "So, buy a new phone that has all the upgrades"

We should not have to do that when the ones we have are perfectly capable, AND
the manufacturer/developer have released an update to the device for free, of their own free will.

The Carrier should get ZERO say in IF they release it or not, unless it does not comply
with CURRENT FCC regulations. That should NEVER be the carriers decision, EVER.

But what would you do without Verizon's quality additions to the software? /s

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This is what I don't get about these type of exclusive deals. They would most likely only affect new customers and those due for an upgrade. Those in the middle of a contract are least likely to drop $600 for a new phone just to have the newest OS version. So in the end who is benefiting and who does it hurt?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well if O2 Germany is combining the two (Cyan & Denim) for release, logic would dictate that Verizon could do the same. Can't blame them for doing it that way as opposed to running two updates through QC in rapid succession. And if you pay close attention to other OSs, the released OS may have different numbers for each carrier. This way each carrier gets fixes for its services and such individualized rather than a blanket release. And in VZW's defense, only AT&T has rolled out Cyan in the US. I have friends on TMO that are in the same boat we are in. Patience is a virtue and all that.

~Ex
Nobody will be combining anything. This isn't about a QC issue, Cyan and 8.1 is already live on Verizon's network. It's a delay decided by marketing and sales numbers, not by technology.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

~Ex

Nobody will be combining anything. This isn't about a QC issue, Cyan and 8.1 is already live on Verizon's network. It's a delay decided by marketing and sales numbers, not by technology.

I think he's referring to the article released today about O2 Germany reportedly combining the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99