Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
And after two years your "negotiated contract" will be null and void and they will force you to a higher plan. Is what they did to me. No longer did the offer my unlimited data plan, my voice plan w/more than 1K of rollover minutes and my messaging plan. But hey.. they have a great mobile share plan which would increase my bill by $30. And I didn't have anyone to share with. Why pay more for something you can't and won't use?
And every Nokia cell/phablet they have the wireless charging has been removed.

daniel329

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Noticed on Verizon's store online that if you order an Icon now you won't get it till 9.26? It's the same kind of badge they have up on the iPhone 6 for the delays. Surely they aren't out of stock of the Icon? Perhaps they're waiting to mail out online orders until Cyan or Denim is out?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Noticed on Verizon's store online that if you order an Icon now you won't get it till 9.26? It's the same kind of badge they have up on the iPhone 6 for the delays. Surely they aren't out of stock of the Icon? Perhaps they're waiting to mail out online orders until Cyan or Denim is out?

Or what the Verizon insider 3 posts above you just stated.

It ends this month. When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust. I guess trying to boost the sale of one phone at the cost of others

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Or what the Verizon insider 3 posts above you just stated.

My guess is it's both. It makes sense that they'd wait to replenish the available inventory of the Icon until Cyan is out because they'll be shipping with Cyan/8.1 pre-loaded.

Be careful with this Cyan + Denim nonsense. It's really not how Verizon works. We'll get Denim sometime in December.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If you can inform the correct people tell them this is not acceptable and I will be going to AT&T as soon as I see a replacement for the 1520. I'm hesitant to buy a 1 year old phone at this point. There is no reason to make current owners suffer in an attempt to push the new phones. I buy the phone for the phone and I won't buy it just so I can get an update. I used to hate AT&T, but over the last few years (and I think its thanks to T-Mobile), they seem to have improved greatly. Verizon on the other hand seems to have taken on the old AT&T attitudes and has only gotten worse. Also AT&T seems to genuinely care about WP where as Verizon couldn't give a crap. 1530/1525 (whatever they call it) and I'm gone.

It ends this month. When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust. I guess trying to boost the sale of one phone at the cost of others

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's because of HTC One and no Cyan until the exclusivity is over.

I know a lot of us have said it, but these exclusivity deals do nothing but hurt the consumer. I don't understand how denying customers you already have an update inspires them to buy a new device from you especially when you have most of them locked into a contract on the device you won't update. Maybe it's just me, but I also don't see it bringing in many customers from other carriers. If exclusivity worked I'd be on AT&T with a 920 then Verizon with a 928 then AT&T with a 1020 then maybe back to Verizon for an Icon. It's not realistic to expect customers to switch like that.

Anyway, my rant is over now. I hate to bug tcman, but do you know if testing is done and we'll get it promptly after the exclusivity ends or will we be waiting til the end of October to beginning of November like 8x users?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, I lost my bet. We're at 25 pages and still no WP8.1/Cyan.

Are we there yet?

P.S. And I still wearing this stupid dunce cap!

Aaaaaaaand my clothes just went outta style.

On the bright side, the "Bugs & Defects" thread is no longer the largest thread in this subsection. That's pretty remarkable considering the "Bugs & Defects" thread is the number one thread on almost every other device subsection. The exception is the NL1020 subsection, which of course has a ton of posts in the "Pictures & Videos" thread.

Know what that means? The biggest beef that we have with our phone isn't the phone itself. It's the lousy carrier that refuses to support it due to their poor business practices. Thanks, Verizon.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
On the bright side, the "Bugs & Defects" thread is no longer the largest thread in this subsection. That's pretty remarkable considering the "Bugs & Defects" thread is the number one thread on almost every other device subsection. The exception is the NL1020 subsection, which of course has a ton of posts in the "Pictures & Videos" thread.

Know what that means? The biggest beef that we have with our phone isn't the phone itself. It's the lousy carrier that refuses to support it due to their poor business practices. Thanks, Verizon.
More like a dim...very dim light bulb.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to call Verizon today for poops and giggles about the 8.1/Cyan delay. She gives me the latest version number, I tell her I'm on that number. I state that there are a lot of apps and features that are missing from the ICON due to not being on 8.1. So she says Nokia hasn't released it to Verizon yet. I say are you sure because I pretty sure Nokia release it in July. So she asks if I want her to contact Nokia. Sure, why not. I sit on hold for about 10 minutes while she comes back and forth asking me to continue to hold. Finally she comes back and says she spoke to a Nokia representative and that Nokia will release the update for the ICON later this month or next month. Ohhhh, Verizon.

thetreatkeeper

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been following this thread for a few weeks since I recently got an Icon, and I wanted to put in my two cents, so here's my first post :smile:.

I own a 1020 and a 1520 that now both have Cyan and I have to say that I too am upset that Verizon isn't pushing to support current products like the Icon. Verizon won't respond to my tweets, but Nokia did, and this is what they had to say (which is interesting considering what the previous poster said):

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been following this thread for a few weeks since I recently got an Icon, and I wanted to put in my two cents, so here's my first post :smile:.

I own a 1020 and a 1520 that now both have Cyan and I have to say that I too am upset that Verizon isn't pushing to support current products like the Icon. Verizon won't respond to my tweets, but Nokia did, and this is what they had to say (which is interesting considering what the previous poster said):

If that is the case, that's fine. But they should put that out there. Till then, I don't buy it.

What I find the most amazing is, the Icon is the most top of the line phone device on their shelf, and they ignore it.

Airlid

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I am currently running DP8.1 on my Lumia Icon and luckily for me I have not experienced any of the issues reported by others in this thread. Out of curiosity I connected my Icon to the Nokia software recovery tool to see what software was available. The recovery tool tells me that I can down load and install software version 1028.3566.1417.0047 This number matches The "Firmware revision number" currently installed on my phone and it says nothing about 8.0 or 8.1. If I were to download and install would it roll the O.S. version back to 8.0? Can some one please explain this to me? -yours in ignorance, Larry

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am currently running DP8.1 on my Lumia Icon and luckily for me I have not experienced any of the issues reported by others in this thread. Out of curiosity I connected my Icon to the Nokia software recovery tool to see what software was available. The recovery tool tells me that I can down load and install software version 1028.3566.1417.0047 This number matches The "Firmware revision number" currently installed on my phone and it says nothing about 8.0 or 8.1. If I were to download and install would it roll the O.S. version back to 8.0? Can some one please explain this to me? -yours in ignorance, Larry

Yes, using the Nokia Recovery Tool will roll you back to WP8.0

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

Yep, it would roll you back. I think I've bounced back and forth at least 10 times now. I think I'm sticking to 8.1 because I simply enjoy 8.1's features too much to run on 8 for more than a week.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it would roll you back. I think I've bounced back and forth at least 10 times now. I think I'm sticking to 8.1 because I simply enjoy 8.1's features too much to run on 8 for more than a week.

Yeah, I'm coming up on a week with 8.0 as well. Will probably go back to 8.1 this weekend.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I think if you check, the latest version showing on the Recovery Tool is the same as you have. I believe that if you download that, it would just reload the same version as you have. Hopefully someone else will confirm or correct this thought.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I think if you check, the latest version showing on the Recovery Tool is the same as you have. I believe that if you download that, it would just reload the same version as you have. Hopefully someone else will confirm or correct this thought.

It will, I got excited at first too. Until I realized it was referring to the Firmware number and not the OS version. :eek:rly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss