Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to call Verizon today for poops and giggles about the 8.1/Cyan delay. She gives me the latest version number, I tell her I'm on that number. I state that there are a lot of apps and features that are missing from the ICON due to not being on 8.1. So she says Nokia hasn't released it to Verizon yet. I say are you sure because I pretty sure Nokia release it in July. So she asks if I want her to contact Nokia. Sure, why not. I sit on hold for about 10 minutes while she comes back and forth asking me to continue to hold. Finally she comes back and says she spoke to a Nokia representative and that Nokia will release the update for the ICON later this month or next month. Ohhhh, Verizon.

In defense of the poor uninformed Verizon girl, it seems someone at Verizon is feeding their own employees BS. Our corporate Verizon account rep was in our office today and I cornered him and asked about the Cyan update availability on the Icon, same crap, he said "Nokia hasn't released that software update to anyone yet" this is where it gets fun.... I pull out my AT&T lumia 925 and show him the Info screen that says "Cyan" his response was "well I guess they must have released it already then" So I assume no one at Verizon, other than their software engineers, really knows anything about Windows updates or software for that matter.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I forget to add this, with all these stories of Verizon support reps and sales reps giving out this "Nokia hasn't released it yet " statements, I really wonder if we are actually going to be waiting even longer than we first thought.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
There isn't much confusion around this anymore. But we need to keep a few things in perspective.
- any person we talk to on the phone from either company only knows the company line
- the company line will give a spin on the reason to make them look better
- VZW: "Microsoft/Nokia hasn't release yet"...true, because VZW hasn't told them too
- Nokia: "VZW is testing"...true, and hence MS/Nokia hasn't released the update
- we'll see the update next month once the M8W exclusivity deal is done, no denim, this update has probably been ready for a month or two and they are just sitting on it

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
There isn't much confusion around this anymore. But we need to keep a few things in perspective.
- any person we talk to on the phone from either company only knows the company line
- the company line will give a spin on the reason to make them look better
- VZW: "Microsoft/Nokia hasn't release yet"...true, because VZW hasn't told them too
- Nokia: "VZW is testing"...true, and hence MS/Nokia hasn't released the update
- we'll see the update next month once the M8W exclusivity deal is done, no denim, this update has probably been ready for a month or two and they are just sitting on it

/thread

Let's reconvene once we finally get the damn thing.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
These exclusivity deals are just another factor that's holding back Windows Phone adoption.

Personally the exclusivity deal nonsense is very low on my list of things holding Windows Phone back (at least in the US):

1) Apple has waged one heck of a war on Microsoft and have been able build an enormous negative response to Windows as a desktop/laptop platform. This negative bias towards Windows/Microsoft allows the unthinking majority to pass WP by without a second glance. This is especially true with young people who have grown up on Apple's portable devices. There is no reason for them to not buy an iPhone. I bought one.

2) Salespeople are salespeople and the good ones will make good recommendations based on a customer's use cases which will often end up in recommending iOS or Android because that's where the apps the customer wants to use are. There are few cases where I would see someone recommending the use of Windows phone. Bad salespeople, as we know, will just recommend the devices that they use or have used.

3) The app gap. I would venture to guess that the less technologically savvy would have a difficult time understanding why they cannot watch HBO Go or use an official Snapchat application. I came to WP knowing that I would be losing the apps I used on Android, and I'm not sure if the average consumer would be willing to do that.

My 2 cents, the problem with WP is people not WP.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Funny how the very first post in this thread starts out on 7/15 with a VZW rep claiming the update would hit in 48 hours. Now we're at more than 1,500 hours and no end in sight :eck:

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh well maybe next week. Good ole verizon. My data has been messed up for two weeks. I think they are trying to throttle me. All my siblings that has unlimited data are having the same issue. Coincidence?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh well maybe next week. Good ole verizon. My data has been messed up for two weeks. I think they are trying to throttle me. All my siblings that has unlimited data are having the same issue. Coincidence?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Mine keeps losing 4G, but I was under the assumption that something was going on in my service area.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ya, I am using it on my SP3 and its awesome.. The ability to use it in my Icon as well will be sweet once we get Cyan.

Its a very nice Twitter app,

It runs fine on developer preview on my Icon. Just has the occasional freeze due to update 1. Not sure what the deal is with that. The Tweetium developer is great, though. Super responsive and releases updates all of the time. I use it both on my Surface 2 and my Icon.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
7/15/2014

I obviously had no idea what waiting for an update really was when I used to complain how long droid updates took to be sent out to my other phones on big red

2+ months and counting and counting and counting..... :unhappy:

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
So I keep hearing WP does not have the number of users etc. I was curious, do we know what is the number of users in the US? Does anyone know how many Icons has VZW sold? Can't be that bad that we don't have any pull...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So I keep hearing WP does not have the number of users etc. I was curious, do we know what is the number of users in the US? Does anyone know how many Icons has VZW sold? Can't be that bad that we don't have any pull...

In the latest user stats posted in the news here on wpcentral, Icon didn't even register as its own category. So a few percent of a few percent. Oh we have no pull, believe me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)