Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
The way I see it, I paid for the device (Icon), I also pay monthly fees for service, there are updates that correct issues and improve the device and Verizon is showing negligence by not allowing me to have those updates. Is like if BMW offers updates to their vehicles and the dealer says "well, I'll let you have it when I want to so sit and wait until I say so". What would happen then? That dealer would be in trouble and even face fines. With VZW, in the meantime, we cannot enjoy new features or get fixes in our phones. Verizon should have to pay or credit us for their negligence. Just sayin'

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[Vent]

Getting pretty annoyed with Verizon and the Icon. My Icon is having some heating issues (hot, hot, HOT!) again, Wifi is still lacking, I am missing some calls, and I am not going to go through the hassle of a wipe/refresh of the OS again. I am hoping Cyan will fix these issues.

Before I moved from my 925 (At&t), 8.1 DP didn't give me any trouble. Bought an Icon when we switched to Verizon at the end of this past May and am now seeing reoccurring problems that you see above. Yes, I can revert back to 8, but that essentially takes away a LOT of features that I have been using since April.

In all honesty, I have been thinking of just paying the balance to EdgeUp. I really like(ed) Windows Phone, but there is only so much of this that I can take. I'm finding it harder and harder to recommend WP to friends, as I am losing trust in it myself.
[/Vent]

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Those instructions are correct; the problem is that 8.0 is no longer available to download. It only allows you to download the 8.1 version and nothing earlier. I would check this out if I were you.

Just loaded up the Nokia Software Recovery Tool with my ICON connected. 1028.3566.1417.0047 is the firmware version available which will load 8.0.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Just loaded up the Nokia Software Recovery Tool with my ICON connected. 1028.3566.1417.0047 is the firmware version available which will load 8.0.

Sorry, that loads 8.1, I believe. I just loaded the same updater and it gave me the same version as you have shown above. I then went to my settings, about and the version I have loaded is the same as this; 8.1.

UPDATE: I am in the middle of reseting and reflashing my ICON based on the instructions in this post. I realize that I may have looked at the hardware version instead of the software version. I check the software and it indeed shows I had 8.1 installed.

Will update when I finish flashing the latest from Nokia Restore app.

Not trying to cause a problem; just saying 8.0 does not show as being available.

Could someone that has the ICON that still has 8.0 loaded go to your settings; about and see what version you show. It may be just that it shows me what is available for my ICON and not for all Nokia models. Really confused now.

Update: I was wrong. It loads the same hardware version but does revert back to WP 8. My apologizes to those that I may have caused a problem I have given myself 10 lashes and will sit in the corner for a time.

Last edited:

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, that loads 8.1, I believe. I just loaded the same updater and it gave me the same version as you have shown above. I then went to my settings, about and the version I have loaded is the same as this; 8.1.

Not trying to cause a problem; just saying 8.0 does not show as being available.

Could someone that has the ICON that still has 8.0 loaded go to your settings; about and see what version you show. It may be just that it shows me what is available for my ICON and not for all Nokia models. Really confused now.

I do have 8.0. I downgraded from 8.1 last week. What will change is the OS version number not the firmware number. Believe me if I could get 8.1 from the Nokia Tool for my ICON I'd do it twice.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I do have 8.0. I downgraded from 8.1 last week. What will change is the OS version number not the firmware number. Believe me if I could get 8.1 from the Nokia Tool for my ICON I'd do it twice.

Check the update to my previous post. I believe you are right and am in the process of going back to 8.0; I hope.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

UPDATE: I am in the middle of reseting and reflashing my ICON based on the instructions in this post. I realize that I may have looked at the hardware version instead of the software version. I check the software and it indeed shows I had 8.1 installed.

Will update when I finish flashing the latest from Nokia Restore app.

OS Version: 8.0.10521.155

zrob7

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just went back to 8.0 last night and it's great to have a phone that works like it is suppose to :)
That said....I do miss all the great 8.1 stuff.
OS Version 8.0.10521.155 is rock solid

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just went back to 8.0 last night and it's great to have a phone that works like it is suppose to :)
That said....I do miss all the great 8.1 stuff.
OS Version 8.0.10521.155 is rock solid

I asked this before but was not clear on the answer: after restoring 8.0, and NOT from a backup, do you get the text messages back that were in your 8.1 system, since the text backup is a separate thing?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I asked this before but was not clear on the answer: after restoring 8.0, and NOT from a backup, do you get the text messages back that were in your 8.1 system, since the text backup is a separate thing?

Yes I got my current text messages back. And I did not restore a backup after going back to 8.0. I wasn't expecting them to come back but they did. It wasn't instant though if I remember correctly.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes I got my current text messages back. And I did not restore a backup after going back to 8.0. I wasn't expecting them to come back but they did. It wasn't instant though if I remember correctly.
Thanks for confirming! Yes, it is a separate backup for text messages and it comes back even if you do a hard reset, but I didn't remember if it was OS dependent or not. They take a few hours to trickle in.

I love all the WP 8.1.1 features, but I think I might go back to 8.0 shortly and hope for a Cyan update... :)

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for confirming! Yes, it is a separate backup for text messages and it comes back even if you do a hard reset, but I didn't remember if it was OS dependent or not. They take a few hours to trickle in.

I love all the WP 8.1.1 features, but I think I might go back to 8.0 shortly and hope for a Cyan update... :)

Well, if your on Verizon it's futile to roll back to 8.0 because they are still holding availability. I don't think there is anything you can do to force the Cyan update. On Verizon anyway. I think ATT and T-Mobile have already made it available.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, if your on Verizon it's futile to roll back to 8.0 because they are still holding availability. I don't think there is anything you can do to force the Cyan update. On Verizon anyway. I think ATT and T-Mobile have already made it available.

AT&T Is the ONLY US carrier to release the update. Verizon, T-Mobile, Cricket, and Metro PCS are still under testing.

Availability in North America - Nokia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett