Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious, how do you do a 'fresh install' over an update? Using the recovery tool? Or do you do a hard reset after the update?
I am currently downloading the latest via the recovery tool and will be rolling back to 8.0 as soon as it completes. Is there another step I need to do to make it a 'fresh install'?
I just want a clean slate to get my Icon back to the top operating condition it was in before I ran the DP. I like the features of 8.1, but Cortana can't do text to speech on text messages apparently and I really missed my all day battery.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Battery seems to be draining faster after today's update. I checked the usual suspects, I want cyan so I can do a hard reset and start fresh.

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
OMFG.
So I'm trying to roll back with the recovery tool. I've been sitting here waiting 90 minutes for my Icon latest version software to finish downloading..get to 97 % and the bloody thing starts all over again?? WTH. Anyone else gone through this?

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
OMFG.
So I'm trying to roll back with the recovery tool. I've been sitting here waiting 90 minutes for my Icon latest version software to finish downloading..get to 97 % and the bloody thing starts all over again?? WTH. Anyone else gone through this?

You may have crashed or are low on memory.

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
The phone hasn't crashed..its working fine. I have 16G of free space on the phone, and 400G on my PC that I'm downloading the software to, presumably.
Should I have the phone off? Is it downloading to the phone through the PC and that's whats taking so long? The file size is 4.29G. This is just nuts

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think this will be my last attempt. and my last windows phone. This is beyond ridiculous. We have to roll back to 8.0 to get Cyan when it does roll out (I just read this on the Nokia site, updated today as AT&T releases Cyan for their last phone). But the file is mammoth and won't complete the download? If I didn't have so many lines on Verizon I'd jump ship in a hearbeat. MAN.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The download from Nokia was REALLY slow on my PC as well, and i also had to startover problem. Be patient, it'll work. I understand your frustration though.

However, didn't today's Preview update make it so the AT&T phones on Preview no longer needed to roll back to get Cyan? In the WP Central article it says "Update 4 - The AT&T Lumia 920 and Lumia 925 are two of the phones that can now receive Lumia Cyan if already on 8.1.1". So hopefully this will be the case now when we get to Cyan on Verizon as well.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Same here. The only thing that will cause me to roll back is if I'm having major problems.

I'll take every update that comes down....My main hope is Cyan, or at least they fix IE....it's a POS now after 8.1....every site redirects to the mobile/WAP site, even though I have it set in Desktop mode... THis is a HUGE deal for me.

I just picked up a LG G2 and going to use that for a week or 2 till Cyan comes out for the ICON....

Fed up is a understatement...

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Honestly? i don't think this is as bad as Verizon has been on Android updates. IT was torture waiting for Kitkat...only to find my device wasn't getting it. I like the Icon the way it is. Cyan? Debian? Official 8.1 Update 1? they are just perks.

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It did take forever but it finally worked. I did get a clean install out of it so I'm not gonna complain. Think I will wait it out for Cyan now. But Indigo is staying put��

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly? i don't think this is as bad as Verizon has been on Android updates. IT was torture waiting for Kitkat...only to find my device wasn't getting it. I like the Icon the way it is. Cyan? Debian? Official 8.1 Update 1? they are just perks.

O, if only the forums contained a downvote button, it would be attributably dedicated to the asinine post quoted above.

Digitalmonk73

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll take every update that comes down....My main hope is Cyan, or at least they fix IE....it's a POS now after 8.1....every site redirects to the mobile/WAP site, even though I have it set in Desktop mode... THis is a HUGE deal for me.

I just picked up a LG G2 and going to use that for a week or 2 till Cyan comes out for the ICON....

Fed up is a understatement...

I believe they changed the user agent in Update 1 for Mobile IE so that it would play well with sites designed for iPhones/Android.

Mozilla/5.0 (Mobile; Windows Phone 8.1; Android 4.0; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0; IEMobile/11.0; NOKIA; Lumia 930) like iPhone OS 7_0_3 Mac OS X AppleWebKit/537 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile Safari/537

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It did take forever but it finally worked. I did get a clean install out of it so I'm not gonna complain. Think I will wait it out for Cyan now. But Indigo is staying put��

What many of us have found is that the update to 8.1 is unoptimized but functional. It's when updating to 8.1.1 is when the problems intensify.

Feel free to update to 8.1 disabling automatic updates. Upon updating to 8.1, remove the preview app, reset the phone through settings>about and you will be on 8.1 proper.

Also bear in mind that the least amount of apps installed expedites the install process. So perhaps you may want to reset on 8.0 first & use a secondary microsoft account to grab the preview and uninstall all the bloat. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers