Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely leaving Verizon, but I haven't decided if I should wait for my contract or not. I bought a Nokia 928 on contract on launch day and outright bought my Icon. I'm pretty sure I have about 6ish months left. For a while I was saying I was going to be out after next week, but I'm going to have to outright buy a Nokia 1520 to make sure I get a QI/32GB version. In addition to the ETA that's a lot of money. Plus I may get stuck with an outdated phone with the new one coming out. If this isn't fixed soon, I'll do it regardless.

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Last person I spoke with said exactly this

The latest update I have on your phone is next month. No ETA as to when that will be pushed out. Typically, the manufacterer pushes out the update to a limited number of phones and then moves to the next set of phones. You will get an alert on the phone once the upgrade is pushed to your phone. I wish I had a specific date at this time to help you out.

Next month could mean anytime in the next 1-5 weeks if my source is well enough informed.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Typically, the manufacterer pushes out the update to a limited number of phones and then moves to the next set of phones.

So a limited number of phones = every single phone in the world except the 928 and the Icon?

:)

Well, let's hope he's right (I assume he actually means a limited number of Verizon phones first)!

pcsavvy

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I am showing the following: OS Version: 8.10.14176.243, Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update,
Firmware revision number: 1028.3566.1417.0047, but is still showing Lumia Black. Is this the Cyan update or not? Does one need to downgrade to upgrade to cyan?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am showing the following: OS Version: 8.10.14176.243, Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update,
Firmware revision number: 1028.3566.1417.0047, but is still showing Lumia Black. Is this the Cyan update or not? Does one need to downgrade to upgrade to cyan?

Are you running the Developer Preview?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

There is no Cyan released for Lumia Icon yet. Nobody knows if we will need to downgrade or not to get it yet (hopefully not, considering the most recent update that was sent out by Microsoft to fix this issue for a large number of phones/carriers around the world).

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So a limited number of phones = every single phone in the world except the 928 and the Icon?

:)

Well, let's hope he's right (I assume he actually means a limited number of Verizon phones first)!

For comparison's sake. Let's actually just limit that to the ICON.

The coinciding thread about this topic in the 928 forums has a whopping three pages, whereas, we're at an elephantine 40!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am running windows developer. Curious about the os version since on another phone that is the cyan update.

The OS version is unrelated to the firmware version. A phone can have the same OS version and different firmware. 1028.3566.1417.0047 is the number for Black with updates.

Ken Stanley

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
So I just downloaded the dp last night....... love it!!!!! Hold tight, this is in my mind the best mobile os around 8.1 made it better. I was not patient and am so happy I downloaded the dp version just fabulous

Richard Zingre

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently running developers preview on a lumia Icon (Verizon). I've gone back and forth between wp 8.0 and wp 8.1 at least 5 times and the overriding reason to downgrade has been that the phone would heat up and the battery life has been reduced about 30%. The wireless connection has been weak as well but I've lived with it. I've been pining away for Cyan just like every Icon owner. I'm really hoping for a fix for the battery and heating issue the most.

Three days ago I was troubleshooting things with my Surface Pro 3 and I changed the wireless channel setting on my router (cheapo unit from ATT) from "auto" to channel 11. It didn't fix my tablet issue, but I noticed that my phone would startup as soon as I pushed the power button. As the day progressed, I noticed that the battery drain was more like WP 8.0 and the phone didn't seem to get hot while surfing the web. I don't know if anyone else has tried this and it might totally be a fluke, but it's been 3 days and one more DP update since I fixed the wireless channel to 11 and the phone seems to be running so much better. It starts right up, doesn't get super hot and I'm getting much better battery life (took if off the charger at 7:30 this morning. I've made 3 calls, surfed the web about 30 minutes and I've been listening to audible for about 2 hours and the battery is at 68% at 3pm. That's more like what I would get with WP 8.0.

I'm still pining for Cyan, but at least the phone is more useable while I wait. This time of year always makes me look around at the latest greatest in phones and, while there are great options out there, I still really like this phone the best. The size is great. The camera is fantastic and I just really prefer the metro interface over any other. I even skinned Galaxy Note 3 with a launcher that looked like metro...right before I traded it in for the Icon :). Choosing a phone is really feels like it's coming down to aesthetics for me these days and windows phone simply looks the best.

joston1018

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
So I have a question about the 8.1dp. I just got my icon and was wondering, is it worth it to get it? Are there features that I would be losing? If I roll back to 8.0, is my warranty still void? I've done rooting on androids and just always removed it and started fresh. Sorry for these questions, I'm new to windows phones.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
So I have a question about the 8.1dp. I just got my icon and was wondering, is it worth it to get it? Are there features that I would be losing? If I roll back to 8.0, is my warranty still void? I've done rooting on androids and just always removed it and started fresh. Sorry for these questions, I'm new to windows phones.

I would say it's certainly worth it. There are so many things different between 8.0 and 8.1. 8.1 rocks. I don't think I've seen anyone denied service because of installing DP, but as always there's a chance which is why they say the warranty will be void. Try it, if you don't like it roll back to 8.0.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
For comparison's sake. Let's actually just limit that to the ICON.

The coinciding thread about this topic in the 928 forums has a whopping three pages, whereas, we're at an elephantine 40!

That makes us no less impatient to get Cyan, just less whiny about it. LOL, just kidding. :grin: I've been hammering Vzw on Twitter pretty hard, but they don't even fight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos