Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't work for any carrier, and you sir are rude and obnoxious. Perfect example of why society is the way it is. Very sad, no respect for others. But you only make yourself the fool.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If it played nice with our Icons we would have it already. Too many posts of developer version being too hot, too slugish and such. Verizon is always slow, but it works when released. They test extensively, to make sure all aspects of the phone and network function correctly. Me personally, I'm not switching carriers just because of a late software upgrade. My device works, no bugs, and does what its supposed to do. I can wait.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

Yep I'm sure Cyan is so bad on the Icon that a nearly identical Lumia 930 has been on sale with Cyan for 3 months now.

Without a doubt US carriers are the pits. I wouldn't get carried away with AT&T, just look at all of the android phone that they are slow to update.

Absolutely love windows phone OS but this whole update has pushed me back to using my Moto X on a daily basis . I own 3 windows phones , 635, 928 and Icon. It's sad that the 635 performs great with Cyan, just pisses me off all the more using the Icon. This whole process has reminded me how much better android apps are, stock windows apps are awesome but major third party apps are utter **** and the lack of app sharing targets drives me insane, although I have no doubt that will improve once 8.1 gains more traction.

Seriously considering flipping the Icon and picking up the new Moto X, be nice to get some of the love :p

daniel329

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I honestly don't get how user experiences could be so different. I have gone to 8.1 twice now and always wound up at 8.0. Phone overheats, shuts off, battery will drain up to 30-40% an hour etc. One morning I woke up and picked up the device beside my bed and it had been plugged up but actually lost a charge during the night and was burning up. Then whenever I tried to start it or launch apps I would be stuck on a loading screen for roughly 5-10 seconds so I had to restore. There must be some reason it seems to (allegedly) run so well on some Icons and not others?

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
That's unfortunate. For the most part my Icon has ran well with the DP. 8.1.1 has caused a few more Loading... screens but it runs well overall, definitely faster than my 928. Battery life has never been a problem for me on 8.1

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't get how user experiences could be so different. I have gone to 8.1 twice now and always wound up at 8.0. Phone overheats, shuts off, battery will drain up to 30-40% an hour etc. One morning I woke up and picked up the device beside my bed and it had been plugged up but actually lost a charge during the night and was burning up. Then whenever I tried to start it or launch apps I would be stuck on a loading screen for roughly 5-10 seconds so I had to restore. There must be some reason it seems to (allegedly) run so well on some Icons and not others?

I am sorry, I am not sure I am buying this.
I have 2 Icons, and neither of them have had these issues.
I have had a couple minor issues that required a hard reset, mainly slowness
But my Wife and I use ours all day long, she actually uses her's more than I do.
I get roughly a day and a half on battery
She get about day.

You need to check your Apps and shut them down.
there are other issues going on there,, I do not believe that it is from the update.
OR, it could be malfuntioning hardware with the update. But htat would be a hardware issue, not the update
If it were the update only, we would all see something similar.

this should not be an issue for Verizon to replace the phone as it would be a warranty issue
But I know they will blame the update itself out of pure laziness.

I have actually reverted back and forth to WP8 several times myself, on both Icons, and still not a single issue with Battery Drain or over heating. And Lag of Apps is virtually non-existent anymore.

@VZWSupport #LumiaCyanUpdate #LumiaIcon @JoeBelfiore
I for 'developer preview firmware for Lumia' -VOTE http://ow.ly/C5N8z

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually when you run a large business and have people on WP devices that are not getting security and feature updates to their phone it is a big deal. Especially when you spend probably roughly 10k a year on Verizon cell service. If ATT cares about their customers enough to at least updates their phones then I will give them my money. That's all I'm saying.

I dont have a business, but please educate me on what 8.1 has that 8.0 doesnt for business use. From what I have read there was no updates to anything business associated, I might be wrong though. Only diff I see is Cortana, notification screen, transparent tiles, and some other little things.

Airlid

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I have had a couple of very minor issues with mine, one spontaneous re boot, and the screen locks up after a call. MS solitaire drained the battery quickly. For usability 8.1 beats 8.0 hands down!

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations, the Verizon strategy works on you. "Hey, this functionality is in my phone, but Verizon refuses to enable it and wants me to pay hundreds of dollars for a new phone instead. Awesome, please, take my money!"

If I don't get this update (or Denim), I will never get a Verizon phone again. This is about functionality of the phone that is in there (BT LE and SensorCore) that Verizon is choosing not to give us. If they are willing to deny me what Microsoft has put in there and sent out code to enable, I sure as hell will never give them my money again.

There is no strategy from VZW, if anything its from the manufactures. Look at IOS, do you thing ios8 plays nice with previous iphones like the 4, no it makes the buggy there for if you want ios8 you have to get the iphone 6. Same for Kit Kat, some older phone get it some dont. If you want it the buy the new phone. And this will continue till the end of time. If a OS worked perfect on all phone no matter of age then the only reason to replace that phone it because you want a hardware upgrade. Look at the Icon has a snapdragon 800 and the HTC 801, dont you think they should have put the 801 in there since it was out and it would have the latest and greatest no matter how little of a diff it is from the 800. And 6 months from now the next best phone will have a 802 and your 800 wont be so hot anymore. So your VZW strategy is all in your head.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Not with Verizon and Lumia. It will be a good long, long, long, long time before the "next big thing" comes out and makes the update irrelevant.

I believe the formula is something like Lumia model # - divided by - number of Galaxy S variants released since - times - the number of Apple iPhones divided by the square root of the number of people who argue the 1020 is still "quick."

Well the next big thing if you can call it that, which you cannt really is the HTC because it already has the 8.1. So as far a software its already ahead of the Icon. I am sure Nokia will come out with something better than the Icon by next year.

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Is there any petition out there? This is absolutely ridiculous and a JOKE at this point. It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many CORTANA ads on the tv, with my friends in family asking me to make my phone talk.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there is any problem with 8.1 on the ICON, my AT&T 925 has been running on it, the official update Cyan 8.1, with no problems at all and my 928 has had 8.1 DP on it since it became available, again no problems, no battery life issues, no over heating, no slow downs, nothing. If these 2 Nokia phones, that are supposedly not as up to date spec wise, as the ICON can run it without any issues, then why can't the ICON? Also, if there really is an issue with Cyan on the ICON, the least Verizon can do for us the paying customers, is put out a memo, a news clip, an email something, anything is better than silence and excuses.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No idea. My Icon runs fine with 8.1.1 except battery drain when browsing Disqus enabled sites, using Facebook Messenger or texting. Seems to be something with multiple and persistent messaging connections or the keyboard or something that gets it running hot.
Other than that, no issues at all. Have you done hard resets?

JBM425

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't mean to insult anyone here, but I just get the feeling that the prevailing attitude is, "When are developers going to get the Win 8.1 and Cyan update for developers?" How about us poor stiffs out there in the general public who don't want to risk voiding our warranty with a developer download and just want our turn at the 8.1 and Cyan brass ring?

I concur with the sentiment expressed a few comments ago. This whole 8.1/Cyan update issue wouldn't be so bad if Microsoft wasn't pushing Cortana so hard. If I had bought an el cheapo/low-end Win phone, I'd "get it" if I was among the last to get a key update. But, I thought I was getting a flagship phone when I selected the Nokia Icon over the HTC M8 (Win or Android) and a Samsung, and with that flagship phone it would come with the highest priority for software updates. This was my first smartphone, and I had taken a lot of time to decide what features I wanted most. Although I bought the phone primarily for the camera, I was hoping for the 8.1 and Cyan updates that would enhance the photography even more (not to mention Cortana). At this point, I'm feeling really cheated, and I almost wish I had shown more patience and waited for iPhone 6.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There is no strategy from VZW, if anything its from the manufactures. Look at IOS, do you thing ios8 plays nice with previous iphones like the 4, no it makes the buggy there for if you want ios8 you have to get the iphone 6. Same for Kit Kat, some older phone get it some dont. If you want it the buy the new phone. And this will continue till the end of time. If a OS worked perfect on all phone no matter of age then the only reason to replace that phone it because you want a hardware upgrade. Look at the Icon has a snapdragon 800 and the HTC 801, dont you think they should have put the 801 in there since it was out and it would have the latest and greatest no matter how little of a diff it is from the 800. And 6 months from now the next best phone will have a 802 and your 800 wont be so hot anymore. So your VZW strategy is all in your head.
All in my head? It was you who suggested that I do exactly that! That was literally what you suggested! Geez. Is it really that far fetched to believe that Verizon agrees with you?

Especially in light of the earlier seemingly reliable member who said that the reason we are not getting Cyan is due to the HTC M8 (he said that 8.1 exclusivity would only last through September... We'll see, I guess).

What you're saying is nonsense. The Icon twin 930 already has Cyan and 8.1. Hell MY Icon already has 8.1.1 and runs great. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos