Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Damn it. I got lost... VZW still sucks thought right? I think it is worse for Verizon customers because we lack the ability to jump from one phone to another the way a GSM carrier allows. There are plenty of GSM phones, both international and carrier specific in the U.S. I would go to and pass the time. Then again maybe if we browsed another forum for Samsung, Apple, Motorola - everyone would be complaining about the same stuff? All I know is that Microsoft needs to kill the carrier exclusivity and things might be more tolerable here at big red.

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The reason why this thread is over 40 pages long is because as Icon owners we purchased a flagship device with the expectation that we would be first in line to receive software upgrades. !

Precisely! When I decided to buy an Icon, that was my primary motivator, as I had no issues whatsoever with my 928 (including learning how to deftly change broken screens...). I went to a franchise VZ store, and the guy not only didn't stock a single WP, he lectured me on being stupid to want one. I thanked him for helping me not give him my money. At the VZ store, they were genuinely surprised that I wanted a WP, and when I asked if it had the "new version" I was told that it did. None of us had a clue what that "new version" was, except I at least knew there actually was one out there -- right on the Microsoft Windows Phone website, ahem. That was in late May.

Last edited:

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This will give you an idea on how uninformed Verizon employees are in regards to Windows Phone, I got fed up using my icon on 8.0 after using my AT&T 925 on Cyan, so I loaded my 928 with 8.1 Dp, and went into a Verizon corporate store to get a micro Sim card, the guy there looks at me funny and tells me " those phones don't use a Sim Card" so I proceeded to show him the micro Sim card slot on the 928 and handed him my nano Sim out of the ICON and asked him "now, can I please have a micro-sim card?"

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
This will give you an idea on how uninformed Verizon employees are in regards to Windows Phone, I got fed up using my icon on 8.0 after using my AT&T 925 on Cyan, so I loaded my 928 with 8.1 Dp, and went into a Verizon corporate store to get a micro Sim card, the guy there looks at me funny and tells me " those phones don't use a Sim Card" so I proceeded to show him the micro Sim card slot on the 928 and handed him my nano Sim out of the ICON and asked him "now, can I please have a micro-sim card?"

I suppose from our collective experiences we've run into some of the most unhelpful, untrained retail employees. In the grand scheme of things, that's how Verizon likes it so they can pay them low wages and keep them forever. Those less inclined to leave are the ones worth training/hiring because they fear that they will not get hired elsewhere. /murica

thetreatkeeper

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

I ran into the same type of issue at my local Verizon corporate store too. The lady was looking all over the body of my Icon for the SIM slot and I ended up pointing it out to her. She argued with me that it took a micro SIM and was quite embarrassed when she opened it up and her micro SIM wouldn't fit (and that I was right all along). I was also told that I can't just "change phones" and that they don't give out SIM cards for free, and I explained to her that when Verizon offers me a Cyan update, I'll be more than happy to use my Icon. Until then, I plan on using my Note 3. She asked me "What's Cyan?" I didn't bother to enlighten her because I figured it'd be over her head.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If it played nice with our Icons we would have it already. Too many posts of developer version being too hot, too slugish and such. Verizon is always slow, but it works when released. They test extensively, to make sure all aspects of the phone and network function correctly. Me personally, I'm not switching carriers just because of a late software upgrade. My device works, no bugs, and does what its supposed to do. I can wait.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

Er....ok....There is another phone called the Lumia 930, EXACT same phone (without the CDMA radio in it), Are they dealing with over heating, being sluggish etc ?

If they are not, then Verizon does not really have an excuse at this point, it's gotta be they are planning to release Denim as there is no reason why they should be taking this long. It could be a Verizon thing let's combine the updates so we only release 1 update and not 2.... Taking the cheap way out, just like Verizon when it comes to updates..

I ran into the same type of issue at my local Verizon corporate store too. The lady was looking all over the body of my Icon for the SIM slot and I ended up pointing it out to her. She argued with me that it took a micro SIM and was quite embarrassed when she opened it up and her micro SIM wouldn't fit (and that I was right all along). I was also told that I can't just "change phones" and that they don't give out SIM cards for free, and I explained to her that when Verizon offers me a Cyan update, I'll be more than happy to use my Icon. Until then, I plan on using my Note 3. She asked me "What's Cyan?" I didn't bother to enlighten her because I figured it'd be over her head.

The ICON uses what I think is called a NANO Sim, it's the smallest out of the bunch. If you need a bigger SIM card, just find the adapters, they make them all most cell phone accessory carts should have them (like in the mall). Normally you get a 3 pack (3 different sizes to put your NANO sim in) and they should be under $3 (I picked my setup on ebay for $1.20 shipped in the US)...So you can just swap between devices with 1 sim....best way to do it...and not have to call in a different SIM for every device you use.

And that is BS, Verizon WILL give free SIM cards, I know that for a fact, I have done it before a few times over the last few years, Never cost me a dime from official Verizon stores or 3rd party VZW stores...

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Er....ok....There is another phone called the Lumia 930, EXACT same phone (without the CDMA radio in it), Are they dealing with over heating, being sluggish etc ?

If they are not, then Verizon does not really have an excuse at this point, it's gotta be they are planning to release Denim as there is no reason why they should be taking this long. It could be a Verizon thing let's combine the updates so we only release 1 update and not 2.... Taking the cheap way out, just like Verizon when it comes to updates..

The ICON uses what I think is called a NANO Sim, it's the smallest out of the bunch. If you need a bigger SIM card, just find the adapters, they make them all most cell phone accessory carts should have them (like in the mall). Normally you get a 3 pack (3 different sizes to put your NANO sim in) and they should be under $3 (I picked my setup on ebay for $1.20 shipped in the US)...So you can just swap between devices with 1 sim....best way to do it...

And that is BS, Verizon WILL give free SIM cards, I know that for a fact, I have done it before a few times over the last few years, Never cost me a dime from official Verizon stores or 3rd party VZW stores...

I personally feel like we are feeding trolls in this thread :/

alowisney

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm just fed up with the wait, so I'm installing the developer's preview right now. This means that Cyan will be released this week and I'll have to roll my phone back.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
WPCentral has probably made more in ad revenue from this thread than Verizon has made with their dumb exclusivity deal they signed with HTC.

I think that's only part of the problem. I think Nokia under Elop & ATT were complicit too in their own exclusivity agreement. Cyan has always been the internal and consumer reference for the 8.1 firmware.

Meanwhile Denim's internal reference is "Debian Red". This is one of those scenarios where several key companies colluded with one another and nobody's talking.

To me, ATT and Microsoft win here. ATT because they're the most complete GSM network that can handle unlocked phones. Microsoft because more power to device manufacturers when phones are unlocked.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Is it a good idea to do a hard reset after installing the dev preview?

Depends on if you're experiencing hiccups or not. I didn't do a hard reset after the most recent Developer Preview update mainly because i'm expecting Cyan with in the next couple weeks. I'll do a hard reset after that.

I'm also not experiencing any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss