Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Here is a great answer i got on Twitter in reply to my question about Cyan.

"It's nice to get an update! However no info is available! Keep checking for any new alerts here "Verizon Wireless News Center"

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is a great answer i got on Twitter in reply to my question about Cyan.

"It's nice to get an update! However no info is available! Keep checking for any new alerts here "Verizon Wireless News Center"

Think I got the same one a month ago....Just a normal reply. I would not expect anything more from Verizon...

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Difference is that the iphone 4 is an antique. The Icon is what? 6 months old? The non carrier varient (930) was sold with Cyan. There is NO excuse for this BS and I'm off Verizon. The only question is when. My contract is up in May, but I'm not waiting that long for Cyan. Question becomes when am I willing to pay the ETF? Right now the age of the 1520 is the only reason I'm not willing to pay the ETF.

There is no strategy from VZW, if anything its from the manufactures. Look at IOS, do you thing ios8 plays nice with previous iphones like the 4, no it makes the buggy there for if you want ios8 you have to get the iphone 6. Same for Kit Kat, some older phone get it some dont. If you want it the buy the new phone. And this will continue till the end of time. If a OS worked perfect on all phone no matter of age then the only reason to replace that phone it because you want a hardware upgrade. Look at the Icon has a snapdragon 800 and the HTC 801, dont you think they should have put the 801 in there since it was out and it would have the latest and greatest no matter how little of a diff it is from the 800. And 6 months from now the next best phone will have a 802 and your 800 wont be so hot anymore. So your VZW strategy is all in your head.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The reason why this thread is over 40 pages long is because as Icon owners we purchased a flagship device with the expectation that we would be first in line to receive software upgrades.

I must be weird then because when I purchased my Icon (I paid full price for it) I never though for a single second about updates. I purchased the Icon for it's hardware, looks and fit and feel in my hand.

I don't know a single person who buys a phone because it •might• be the 1st to get updates. Like I said, I must just be weird..

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I must be weird then because when I purchased my Icon (I paid full price for it) I never though for a single second about updates. I purchased the Icon for it's hardware, looks and fit and feel in my hand.

I don't know a single person who buys a phone because it •might• be the 1st to get updates. Like I said, I must just be weird..

No, SAVAGELIZARDS is right. We would likely would have purchased the phone regardless of that expectation. But knowing that this was the last flagship to be released before WP8.1 certainly gave us the expectation that we'd also be one of the first to get the hardware/firmware.

That expectation was further solidified when Elop enumerated multiple times that the Nokia Lumia 930, the Icon's international/gsm doppelganger, was the first "WP8.1 Hardware" at the 930/630 announcement.

It's the same damn hardware. Now two and a half months later, where's WP8.1?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't know a single person who buys a phone because it ?might? be the 1st to get updates. Like I said, I must just be weird..

Same here. I got it because it is an awesome phone. Now would getting WP8.1/Cyan make it better? Sure? But, it is already a great phone regardless.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Difference is that the iphone 4 is an antique. The Icon is what? 6 months old? The non carrier varient (930) was sold with Cyan. There is NO excuse for this BS and I'm off Verizon. The only question is when. My contract is up in May, but I'm not waiting that long for Cyan. Question becomes when am I willing to pay the ETF? Right now the age of the 1520 is the only reason I'm not willing to pay the ETF.

Antique or not, its a cycle thats been around since smart phones began. People always wanting the latest software and hardware. It never ends. I bought a Tahoe in 08 and it did have BT. In 09 it did, you think I wantted to sue them or call DOT because of it, NO. I used it and when time came i traded in for my next truck. So what if the Icon doesnt get Cyan, maybe it will get something else or not. Is this your last phone, NO. So whats all the fuss about. I was very contempt with my Icon, update or no update. I got the HTC because I put my dad on my plan and gave him the Icon and I jump to HTC. If it wasnt for that I didnt care weather I had it 8.1 or not. When you buy a PC, its outdated with in 6 months, do you ***** and complain because a better one came out and you dont have the top PC anymore? Apple release a new phone every year and every year people flock to buy one just to say they have it. Nothing big has changed, but hey look at me I have the new IPhone. Big deal, next year a new comes out and the majority of those people will buy it again, even though it has the same looking OS for the last 100 years. Theres people in here talking about lawyering up for an update, really, is this what matters so much in your life, an update. Get over it. I am still waiting to hear about what 8.1 has for business that 8.0 doesnt. Since Daniel329 cannt run his business off of 8.0.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Antique or not, its a cycle thats been around since smart phones began. People always wanting the latest software and hardware. It never ends. I bought a Tahoe in 08 and it did have BT. In 09 it did, you think I wantted to sue them or call DOT because of it, NO. I used it and when time came i traded in for my next truck. So what if the Icon doesnt get Cyan, maybe it will get something else or not. Is this your last phone, NO. So whats all the fuss about. I was very contempt with my Icon, update or no update. I got the HTC because I put my dad on my plan and gave him the Icon and I jump to HTC. If it wasnt for that I didnt care weather I had it 8.1 or not. When you buy a PC, its outdated with in 6 months, do you ***** and complain because a better one came out and you dont have the top PC anymore? Apple release a new phone every year and every year people flock to buy one just to say they have it. Nothing big has changed, but hey look at me I have the new IPhone. Big deal, next year a new comes out and the majority of those people will buy it again, even though it has the same looking OS for the last 100 years. Theres people in here talking about lawyering up for an update, really, is this what matters so much in your life, an update. Get over it. I am still waiting to hear about what 8.1 has for business that 8.0 doesnt. Since Daniel329 cannt run his business off of 8.0.

Cyan brings:

Camera performance improvements
Stability improvements
SensorCore (which allows for health applications e.g. Fitbit)
Miracast (which is used to mirror the video/audio to an external display)
Dolby Digitial Plus sound recording
Blutooth 4.0 LE
Double tap to wake
Speaker equalizer
Brightness slider
Enhanced display color controls

The fuss is about the fact that a global version of the Nokia Lumia ICON, the 930 exists and was released with 8.1+Cyan and all these new features. Verizon is sluggish at best to getting these features forward to consumers.

I have to argue that my PC, which I built nearly 3 years ago, is far from outdated specifically considering that I have the latest software and that there isn't a man-in-the-middle preventing me from having Windows 8.1 Update 1's features. And there is nothing stopping me from installing the Windows 10 Preview when it comes around.

The fact of the matter is that you are being insensitive to people like myself who cannot afford a new phone every 6 mos, 1 year or even 2 years and that are bound by Verizon's contract providing immense barriers to exit.

If you do not understand why this thread exits, please exit.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Cyan brings:

Camera performance improvements
Stability improvements
SensorCore (which allows for health applications e.g. Fitbit)
Miracast (which is used to mirror the video/audio to an external display)
Dolby Digitial Plus sound recording
Blutooth 4.0 LE
Double tap to wake
Speaker equalizer
Brightness slider
Enhanced display color controls

The fuss is about the fact that a global version of the Nokia Lumia ICON, the 930 exists and was released with 8.1+Cyan and all these new features. Verizon is sluggish at best to getting these features forward to consumers.

I have to argue that my PC, which I built nearly 3 years ago, is far from outdated specifically considering that I have the latest software and that there isn't a man-in-the-middle preventing me from having Windows 8.1 Update 1's features. And there is nothing stopping me from installing the Windows 10 Preview when it comes around.

The fact of the matter is that you are being insensitive to people like myself who cannot afford a new phone every 6 mos, 1 year or even 2 years and that are bound by Verizon's contract providing immense barriers to exit.

bamdropsmic.gif

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

You really don't get it, do you?

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Do you even know what you mean?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
No need to be rude. I get what he/she is saying and I agree with a lot of what he/she says.

This thread is nothing more than the same several people complaining, posting the same thing over, and over, and over and over again.

It would be nice to discuss the update but that not really possible as if anyone dares to act rational they are attacked.

Oh well....

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
You really don't get it, do you?

Like I said, NO I DONT. ITS A PHONE. It will be tomorrows by next year. And no I dont have unlimited funds(have better things to spend my money on anyways) nor will I buy the latest and greatest everytime one comes out. My wife had the S3 up until a month ago. She got a S5 only because the S3 crapped out to to be up to date. I also had the S3, but got tired of all the issues so I came to WP(Icon).

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
No need to be rude. I get what he/she is saying and I agree with a lot of what he/she says.

This thread is nothing more than the same several people complaining, posting the same thing over, and over, and over and over again.

It would be nice to discuss the update but that not really possible as if anyone dares to act rational they are attacked.

Oh well....

Brother, if you think I'm being rude what do you consider to be a level-headed discourse?

daniel329

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site

I could point to articles with lists of new business features & security updates in 8.1 but I really have no desire to argue with you and I don't want to get this thread off topic. This thread is for those of us who care about getting 8.1 on a device we paid premium for. If you are concerned about the lack of support Verizon gives feel free to stick around otherwise you're in the wrong thread.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Oh well....

Plenty of threads to discuss the update, though maybe 6 months after the update was released as a Preview those threads might not be the most active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss