Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I could point to articles with lists of new business features & security updates in 8.1 but I really have no desire to argue with you and I don't want to get this thread off topic. This thread is for those of us who care about getting 8.1 on a device we paid premium for. If you are concerned about the lack of support Verizon gives feel free to stick around otherwise you're in the wrong thread.

When I see them, I will believe it. All of a sudden you cannt run your company because you dont have 8.1, but you still choose to pay 10k a year for useless service and phones. Not a smart move from a business perspective if you ask me. I didnt pay a premium for my Icon and if your spending 10k a year on just cell service I dont think that you paid a premium for the Icon.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Finally broke down and installed the Preview for Developers version of 8.1. Seems to be working fine. Am still waiting on Cyan though.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
This thread is for those of us who care about getting 8.1 on a device we paid premium for. If you are concerned about the lack of support Verizon gives feel free to stick around otherwise you're in the wrong thread.
I care about 8.1 I'm just not interested in throwing an online tantrum because I don't have it yet. Complaining in this thread will do absolutely nothing as Verizon will never hear from you. Use Twitter and / or Facebook to voice your concern or vote with your wallet.. Those things will get Verizon's attention..

I paid full price for my Icon yet I don't feel like I paid a premium for 8.1. As a matter of fact the $500 price tag is cheaper than most full price flagship phones.

I will be thrilled when 8.1 comes but I refuse to act childish over it and I won't act rashly (change carriers or phones) because it has not arrived yet.

My .02

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The fact that it hasn't been released yet is childish on Verizon's part.

I care about 8.1 I'm just not interested in throwing an online tantrum because I don't have it yet. Complaining in this thread will do absolutely nothing as Verizon will never hear from you. Use Twitter and / or Facebook to voice your concern or vote with your wallet.. Those things will get Verizon's attention..

I paid full price for my Icon yet I don't feel like I paid a premium for 8.1. As a matter of fact the $500 price tag is cheaper than most full price flagship phones.

I will be thrilled when 8.1 comes but I refuse to act childish over it and I won't act rashly (change carriers or phones) because it has not arrived yet.

My .02

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The fact that it hasn't been released yet is childish on Verizon's part.

And you have insider knowledge that they are playing a game with the update?

Could it be that they are working out a bug and are actually saving you and your phone from a bad experience?

I'd love to hear whatever inside knowledge you have on this.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Even Windows has forgotten about the ICON.

When asked how to pin an app to the desktop in Win10,

The entire Windows team befuddling shrugged
Icons, Who cares about them anymore?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The 930 having Cyan pre-installed is all the proof I need. Its the same phone. Not to mention EVERY phone on AT&T has it now. So your trying to tell me that adding a CDMA radio made the Icon and the 928 the only two phones that can't run Cyan properly? I'm not buying it one bit.

And you have insider knowledge that they are playing a game with the update?

Could it be that they are working out a bug and are actually saving you and your phone from a bad experience?

I'd love to hear whatever inside knowledge you have on this.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
The 930 having Cyan pre-installed is all the proof I need. Its the same phone. Not to mention EVERY phone on AT&T has it now. So your trying to tell me that adding a CDMA radio made the Icon and the 928 the only two phones that can't run Cyan properly? I'm not buying it one bit.

Right? They are probably delaying it because they are trying to get the crapware up to spec with Android. /s

performing lumia

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Please don't get me wrong either when I mention switching to another phone. That other phone could be the HTC Windows, I love my icon as well. It's just the point or seems like icon users are not hearing or seeing the update like other carriers as promptly plus the newer windows phones are coming preinstall with cyan. Of course I do want them to send the cyan update smoothly, but the 'of course' is out weighing the attention (for the icon)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

The CDMA radio itself is not the problem. It's how CDMA works that makes things tricky. For CDMA to work, it has to have a special key (is that the proper term?) specific to that carrier's network. That is why you can't use a Verizon CDMA phone on Sprint's network, and vice versa. Whereas GSM doesn't require that all you need is a SIM for that carrier's network and you're good to go. So for the Icon connect to Verizon's 3G CDMA network that key has to be incorporated into the firmware, not into the OS. The OS and the firmware are separate, and I think that is why many people are confused and frustrated as to why the 930 has Cyan but the Icon does not (yet).

I had the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Nexus phones are by default unlocked and receive all of their updates directly from Google, not from the carriers. However, because Verizon and Sprint use CDMA for their respective 3G networks, Google had to come up with three versions of Ice Cream Sandwich. One for Verizon, one for Sprint, and one for everybody else. My buddy with a T-Mobile Galaxy Nexus got his ICS about a month (maybe a month in a half) before I got it. All because Google had to incorporate Verizon's CDMA key into the firmware and then allow Verizon to test it, approve it, and push out the OTA.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
So your trying to tell me that adding a CDMA radio made the Icon and the 928 the only two phones that can't run Cyan properly? I'm not buying it one bit.

I'm not trying to tell you anything. You don't know the reason it's not out yet, I don't know the reason it's not out yet and nobody here knows the reason its not out yet. Everything is pure speculation.

All I'm saying is that online tantrums and rash user decisions won't make it come any faster. Sure Verizon should put out some type of official statement but they haven't.

Relax it's JUST a phone update for heavens sake.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

My .02

Of course you do realize though that it appears you are speaking with a worldwide audience and I would guess half of them are 15 and living at home.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The CDMA radio itself is not the problem. It's how CDMA works that makes things tricky. For CDMA to work, it has to have a special key (is that the proper term?) specific to that carrier's network. That is why you can't use a Verizon CDMA phone on Sprint's network, and vice versa. Whereas GSM doesn't require that all you need is a SIM for that carrier's network and you're good to go. So for the Icon connect to Verizon's 3G CDMA network that key has to be incorporated into the firmware, not into the OS. The OS and the firmware are separate, and I think that is why many people are confused and frustrated as to why the 930 has Cyan but the Icon does not (yet).

I had the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Nexus phones are by default unlocked and receive all of their updates directly from Google, not from the carriers. However, because Verizon and Sprint use CDMA for their respective 3G networks, Google had to come up with three versions of Ice Cream Sandwich. One for Verizon, one for Sprint, and one for everybody else. My buddy with a T-Mobile Galaxy Nexus got his ICS about a month (maybe a month in a half) before I got it. All because Google had to incorporate Verizon's CDMA key into the firmware and then allow Verizon to test it, approve it, and push out the OTA.

Two things:

1. This is obviously not very difficult to do since a) the Icon is made specifically for Verizon and ALREADY has firmware where this is done and b) everyone single phone on Verizon has it already. It's not like they're reinventing the wheel here.

2. If there actually is an issue (VERY unlikely) it would be simple for Verizon to respond to the thousands of tweets and FB inquires they have gotten by stating what the issue is. It would earn them a lot of goodwill.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I understand that for many of us, it appears as if we're throwing a temper tantrum for not getting an update when we want it, but there are real consequences for Microsoft in an arena that's already stacked against them. They already have to deal with the fact that only one US carrier has shown any real interest in WP. Verizon offers them, but good luck finding VZW employees that have any knowledge of them. Then look at the only real electronics store in the US, Best Buy. They carry phones for all carriers, but only carry the cheap pre-paid WP phones. If people want to actually see these Windows devices they see on TV, they have to go directly to a carrier store where they'll most likely be redirected to IOS or Android.

These two things have a huge impact on MS getting traction in the US market. Consumers basically have the choice of an overpriced piece of junk where the OS looks almost exactly the same as it did in 2007, or choose a cheap plastic hunk of crap on an open OS that changes so much that within a month of buying something, it's considered outdated. So they have all of that going against them, and now they have these wonderful new features in 8.1 and 8.1.1 and developers are building apps to take advantage of the new features, but in order for the US market to even see their apps, they have to either be with AT&T, or have bought a device in the last few weeks, or be technically brave enough to install the developers preview (and even then not be able to use all the new apps). So in addition to the external forces fighting the growth of WP, they aren't helping themselves when only the customers from one carrier can actually use the features that MS advertises. The bottom line is, MS wants and needs developers to build the apps consumers want, but they are limiting the customer base for those apps by having apps that require a certain level of the OS. I get that there are Android apps that don't work on some devices, but those are usually older and cheaper devices. IOS apps work on several years of hardware and OS updates, it may be slow, but it works. Here we are waiting for basic apps that the other two have, but we need a specific OS level to be able to use them. The disincentives the developers, provides us with less choices and ultimately hurts MS.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I was planning on switching to AT&T over this, unfortunately I have some big expenses coming up. As a result I'll probably be on Verizon for at least the rest of the year. I guess the good news is that gives Microsoft a chance to announce the 1525/1530/whatever. That's what I want anyway. The 1520 or its replacement. But considering the current one is downgraded, I would want it unlocked. That's $500 + the ~$200 or whatever it is ETF (my contract is up in May). That's a lot to ask of me right now. In a couple of months its probably ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster