Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
In celebration of this thread reaching 50 pages, I have to say... I'm thinking of buying an S5.

Painfully slow updates to firmware that causes major lack of device functionality

If you think Samsung updates will be any faster then you are in for a rude awakening.

Google releases a new OS / update --> Samsung gets it but has to then incorporate it's 4.3 billion crapware apps into it (long delay) --> The carrier gets it..

JK75

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If you think Samsung updates will be any faster then you are in for a rude awakening.

Absolutely no expectation that updates will be any faster - I had the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon, so I am aware.

However, I would have much better app support, which would represent a net gain from what I have now.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Starting? That's impressive. It's been over two and a half months since Microsoft rolled it out. Every AT&T Lumia has it.

I've been angry with Verizon for awhile now.

Well, I should have clarified. I was already angry a couple weeks ago. I put my Icon in my desk drawer and have been using my Note3. Now I'm getting angry all over again as I want to use my Icon again. #firstworldproblems

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, iTunes is an abomination. I would rather hit myself in the head with a pipe wrench than put that on one of my PCs ever again.
I fixed it for you! Windows Media player (Vista+ versions) is so much better its not even funny. Someone compared it to excel for music. Until I heard that I didn't know how to explain why it was so bad.

Also, iTunes for Windows is an abomination. I would rather hit myself in the head with a pipe wrench than put that on one of my PCs ever again.

WinAndTech

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I think all manufacturers should go the Apple route.

Yes, I know about the DP. But what normal person is going to use the DP? Your mother or father probably wouldn't.

What ends up happening is they see the commercial for Cortana and they realize their phone doesn't have it. They don't blame the carrier, they blame the phone. Verizon is hurting the image of WP.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have no idea what your talking about... :wink: just trying to change the pitchfork and torch crowd mentality in here

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, no wonder you are so upset at Verizon. Chill, nothing you or I can do to calm this rage. Verizon is the devil until this release happens. Then it starts all over again for the next update.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I think all manufacturers should go the Apple route.

Yes, I know about the DP. But what normal person is going to use the DP? Your mother or father probably wouldn't.

What ends up happening is they see the commercial for Cortana and they realize their phone doesn't have it. They don't blame the carrier, they blame the phone. Verizon is hurting the image of WP.

I think I addressed this much earlier in the thread. Apple has power. Microsoft has no power in the mobile phone market. None. I could imagine a meeting with Verizon: "You want to push your own firmware to your devices? We no longer carry and support Windows Phones.".

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think I addressed this much earlier in the thread. Apple has power. Microsoft has no power in the mobile phone market. None. I could imagine a meeting with Verizon: "You want to push your own firmware to your devices? We no longer carry and support Windows Phones.".

"You want your devices to not have giant check marks on them? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want your devices to have their own internet sharing? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want your devices to have colorful designs? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want your devices to be released in a timely manner? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want us to teach our sales force how to sell your devices? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

"You want us to push out updates for your devices along with the rest of the market? We no longer carry Windows Phones."

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Mr. Stinguish
I am submitting my resignation as official thread soothsayer. The update will not be released today. There is no explanation for the delay, there never will be an explanation. But we all know why, don't we?

A few months ago I called support - they mentioned the Verizon warranty or TEC will not be voided if 8.1 Dev Preview is installed. Today when I called, the dev pre is still supported, however I could not get a status on the official 8.1/Cyan.

The tech I spoke to claimed that all Mfg software updates (except for Apple) are submitted to the carriers first so carriers can make sure the updates are stable and "does not compromise 'their' network" (the tech cited the recently released botched IOS 8.01 update). Unfortunately the tech could not acknowledge whether 8.1 or cyan is being tested at all, in beta, or in final testing. She "could not" say anything which would go against the official statement - "under testing" and suggested checking the Verizon/icon support page for updates.

Can you smell the contradiction (or is that the product of eating too much Walmart bbq pork jerky at lunch)? Why would Verizon support the Dev preview and claim the official 8.1 will not be released until thoroughly tested (if ever)? I suspect there will be no cyan or 8.1 update - Verizon is content with official 8.0 and the goons willing to shell out $19 for the Dev. So I'm stuck between paying $19 for the dev or switching to the M8 (arriving tomorrow - Asurion swap for a faulty 8x on another line - They originally offered the Icon, then the agent switched it to the M8 claiming its better than the Icon anyway - weird)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Why would you have to pay $19 for the Preview? It's completely free.

As for the rest, the people at Verizon who speak to customers know no more than we do. Haven't we already established that?

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Why would you have to pay $19 for the Preview? It's completely free.

As for the rest, the people at Verizon who speak to customers know no more than we do. Haven't we already established that?

Rats. I followed theWP forms and supersite inst. The MS site wants my $19. I don't get it.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it. Send me a display update that specifically says "to improve display for current versions but especially for 8.1/cyan". Oh that is nice... Advertise 8.1 and cyan I don't have on my icon yet!!!

Mentat1231

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Nokia customer service, and he promised me that it would be released before the end of October. That's really encouraging :crying:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Nokia customer service, and he promised me that it would be released before the end of October. That's really encouraging :crying:

Thankfully Nokia Customer Service doesn't really know anything about Verizon's release schedule.

We better get it much sooner than the end of October... :eck:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos