Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Mr. Stinguish
I am submitting my resignation as official thread soothsayer. The update will not be released today. There is no explanation for the delay, there never will be an explanation. But we all know why, don't we?

A few months ago I called support - they mentioned the Verizon warranty or TEC will not be voided if 8.1 Dev Preview is installed. Today when I called, the dev pre is still supported, however I could not get a status on the official 8.1/Cyan.

The tech I spoke to claimed that all Mfg software updates (except for Apple) are submitted to the carriers first so carriers can make sure the updates are stable and "does not compromise 'their' network" (the tech cited the recently released botched IOS 8.01 update). Unfortunately the tech could not acknowledge whether 8.1 or cyan is being tested at all, in beta, or in final testing. She "could not" say anything which would go against the official statement - "under testing" and suggested checking the Verizon/icon support page for updates.

Can you smell the contradiction (or is that the product of eating too much Walmart bbq pork jerky at lunch)? Why would Verizon support the Dev preview and claim the official 8.1 will not be released until thoroughly tested (if ever)? I suspect there will be no cyan or 8.1 update - Verizon is content with official 8.0 and the goons willing to shell out $19 for the Dev. So I'm stuck between paying $19 for the dev or switching to the M8 (arriving tomorrow - Asurion swap for a faulty 8x on another line - They originally offered the Icon, then the agent switched it to the M8 claiming its better than the Icon anyway - weird)

HTC announced that it's coming to the 8X on Verizon in late October. Does it seem feasible that Verizon would update that vintage device and not the Icon?

I'm somewhat .. perturbed as well, but let's not lose all reasonableness and decorum here people.

Besides, we'll probably get Ebola before 8.1 Update 1/Cyan anyway ...

Spirk

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I've tracked this thread since it started and, despite the negative outlook, I got an Icon today. I got it off eBay for $285 because screw paying Verizon $500. It came to me with 8.1/Black so I'm assuming the previous owner put the DP on there. I'm enjoying it and haven't had any problems yet.

As far as the update - I've been through this with Verizon many times all the way back to Android 2. I remember being the most annoyed when ICS was taking forever. Then it came out and we all forgot how mad we were. I've been checking this thread every day hoping for that first "It's here!" post. It's ok, I've got time.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
If you have no idea what I'm talking about, no wonder you are so upset at Verizon. Chill, nothing you or I can do to calm this rage. Verizon is the devil until this release happens. Then it starts all over again for the next update.

No one should be feeling rage. This isn't genocide, simply a small user base being inconvenienced by the priorities of a large corporation. Say the Serenity prayer and move on, or get some anger management counseling. We all (with the possible exception of Nokia employees) can live prosperous, fulfilling lives even if we never get Cyan.

I am not pleased to have to wait this long, but I am not considering switching carriers, let alone ruining my day over this. 95% of my unhappiness over the Icon when I first got it has been resolved by Microsoft's excellent preview program. With 8.1 installed the Icon is the best phone I have ever owned. Sadly, Microsoft will never be able to build its Verizon market share until Verizon decides to ship the Icon with 8.1. The PFD is great but more for the tech savvy.

Quite frankly, the odds of Microsoft being able to break the carrier gridlock by shipping unified devices on all platforms are slim at this point. About the only thing Microsoft can do to grow market share in the US is to become more vertically integrated.

There is a company, Dish Network, that has not literally gobs of wireless spectrum, and they need a partner. Satellite service without Internet doesn't cut it in 2014, so to take advantage of their best features subscribers need to buy services from Dish's competitors. Dish has failed in attempts to buy Sprint and Clearwire. Perhaps it can partner with Microsoft.

Otherwise, Microsoft will never have the type of market share in the US that it needs to compete. This delay with 8.1 and Cyan updates are a symptom of a bigger problem - the Lost Ballmer Decade. Clippers fans will know what I mean by that soon enough.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I keep waiting for news about the HTC One for Windows on other carriers, but there hasn't been anything yet. I can't even find anything about a device going through the FCC. If we are waiting for the exclusivity to end I really want to hear more from the other carriers soon.

Maybe we should start asking AT&T and HTC when it'll happen since we know Verizon will never give any hints and we know HTC likes to drop hints on twitter about updates so maybe they'll do the same for the end of their awful deal.

thetreatkeeper

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I work for a 3rd party dealer (you've probably heard of us before, we sold computers that rhymes with "dandy"), and my area Verizon rep was in yesterday. I asked him if he'd heard anything about a software update for the Icon. After he joked with me about "do people really own those things?!", he looked up upcoming software updates to Verizon phones on his tablet and nothing WP was on there. Lots of Android phones, but neither the 928 nor the Icon. He said that Verizon has very strict standards and is always the last one to release an update. I told him that's BS because the updates on my 1520 and 1020 with AT&T are rock solid and also asked him to find out something from someone in corporate. He told me that he'd send me a text once he found something out so I'm crossing my fingers I hear something soon.

I also believe that because of how his initial mentality was with "do people really own those things", that's what Verizon HQ also believes. They're rather push the new Note 4 and the iPhone 6 because they're money makers with accessories and have a greater market share than Windows Phone. This part of me leaves me pessimistic, but I'll update y'all if I do hear anything. I don't expect to though :(

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I work for a 3rd party dealer (you've probably heard of us before, we sold computers that rhymes with "dandy"), and my area Verizon rep was in yesterday. I asked him if he'd heard anything about a software update for the Icon. After he joked with me about "do people really own those things?!", he looked up upcoming software updates to Verizon phones on his tablet and nothing WP was on there. Lots of Android phones, but neither the 928 nor the Icon. He said that Verizon has very strict standards and is always the last one to release an update. I told him that's BS because the updates on my 1520 and 1020 with AT&T are rock solid and also asked him to find out something from someone in corporate. He told me that he'd send me a text once he found something out so I'm crossing my fingers I hear something soon.

I also believe that because of how his initial mentality was with "do people really own those things", that's what Verizon HQ also believes. They're rather push the new Note 4 and the iPhone 6 because they're money makers with accessories and have a greater market share than Windows Phone. This part of me leaves me pessimistic, but I'll update y'all if I do hear anything. I don't expect to though :(

Oh Verizon, you so money hungry.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Maybe Tcman88 could give an update?

I would be interested in any info also, if the exclusivity of the M8 is not the reason for this long delay then some other questions arise and sadly we could be in for a much longer wait for an update:

1. is there some show stopper bug causing them not to release cyan?
2. are they skipping cyan and going straight to denim/8.1.1?
3 are we even going to get an update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99