Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
This lack of sales comes straight from the Verizon sales floor. Like I said, I went in LOOKING for the Icon and the salesperson in two different shops questioned my logic and tried to discourage me from purchasing one. Verizon needs training on selling a windows phone. I could personally go out and tell people why windows phone is better...why can't they?! Microsoft should hire someone to go to stores to train.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This lack of sales comes straight from the Verizon sales floor. Like I said, I went in LOOKING for the Icon and the salesperson in two different shops questioned my logic and tried to discourage me from purchasing one. Verizon needs training on selling a windows phone. I could personally go out and tell people why windows phone is better...why can't they?! Microsoft should hire someone to go to stores to train.

Several people have said the same, and a similar thing happened to me too as I've mentioned a few times. There were siimply no WP to buy in the franchise stores I went to, and this was in April, only 2 months after it came out. The guy I asked had no clue what I was even talking about. How are they supposed to sell phones like that?

I don't understand if Microsoft doesn't care, or if Verizon doesn't, or if sales incentives for the floor staff are created in such a way that they are only interested in selling certain models. But either way, you can't sell phones that are not even available.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is not just a Microsoft issue. Check out the Nexus 7 LTE, it only just received the 4.4.4 update 4 months after it's release. Also they refused to activate LTE Nexus 7s when they were first released, claiming the same old network stability crap.

Cult of Android - Nexus 7 LTE finally gets Google's latest KitKat update

Verizon really are a joke when it comes to updates.
I have no idea how that relates to this thread. The Nexus 7 is not a phone, the 4.4.4 release is basically bug fixes and not critical new functionality, the Icon is NOT an older model, it has nothing to do with the carriers, and Microsoft has ALREADY released the update.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I would be interested in any info also, if the exclusivity of the M8 is not the reason for this long delay then some other questions arise and sadly we could be in for a much longer wait for an update:

1. is there some show stopper bug causing them not to release cyan?
2. are they skipping cyan and going straight to denim/8.1.1?
3 are we even going to get an update?

1. Unlikely
2. Possibly
3. Yes. My guess is that it will occur simultaneously with Verizon's release of the 735/830 in November

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
These sales folk are PERSONALLY vested in iOS or Android though. Even if they were instructed by Verizon or get a commission to sell WP, if they don't personally like WP (most are fanboys) they are not going to push it.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just asked the Magic 8 Ball if we will get Cyan by the end of this month.

It said, "The answer is no."

Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but the Magic 8 Ball hath spoken yet again.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea how that relates to this thread. The Nexus 7 is not a phone, the 4.4.4 release is basically bug fixes and not critical new functionality, the Icon is NOT an older model, it has nothing to do with the carriers, and Microsoft has ALREADY released the update.

It is sold by Verizon with a data plan, so I'd say it's not that different. And the point about 4.4.4 being a minor release really does validate the point that Verizon are terrible at pushing updates, takes them 4 months to push a minor, but critical security update for a major device on their network.

Google Nexus 7 | Verizon Wireless

MikeSo, pretty much every one of your posts on this thread have been to deride other peoples comments, it's getting really boring to see you do it over and over.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia Software Recovery Tool has been giving the error "Could not check application update" for me today. Anybody else get this?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It is sold by Verizon with a data plan, so I'd say it's not that different. And the point about 4.4.4 being a minor release really does validate the point that Verizon are terrible at pushing updates, takes them 4 months to push a minor, but critical security update for a major device on their network.

Google Nexus 7 | Verizon Wireless

MikeSo, pretty much every one of your posts on this thread have been to deride other peoples comments, it's getting really boring to see you do it over and over.
Feel free to ignore my boring comments. Still don't see what your comment has to do with anything in this thread. How was Verizon supposed to push out a 4.4.4 update that Google hadn't even created? In the article you linked to it says it only took a few days to get it OTA after Google released it. How is that analogous at all to the Cyan situation?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone Operating System | Verizon Wireless

"Release Date: July 15th, 2014
Note: Windows Phone 8.1 is not currently available on all devices."

"Last Modified: August 18, 2014"

Today's Date: October 3rd, 2014.

btchplz.gif

Last edited:

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
These sales folk are PERSONALLY vested in iOS or Android though. Even if they were instructed by Verizon or get a commission to sell WP, if they don't personally like WP (most are fanboys) they are not going to push it.

In line with the chorus, I ordered an Icon online (knowing I would install the DP) and went to pick it up in store. The sales staff went out of their way to tell me that windows phones are junk and questioned my reasons for purchasing it. The salesperson proceeded to throw a fit after I corrected everything she made up. Then the manager refused to honor the online order (when the Icon was free). I can only imagine if someone was listening, it would be difficult to decipher who the salesperson was.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
People were hoping the HTC M8 having WP 8.1 Update was a sign that the Icon would probably get updated too... I've stopped assuming such things now. :)

With Denim's internal reference as "Debian Red", it's more educated guess than assumption.

But the terms for a releasing a new device on any of these US carriers allow for provisions.

(Negotiations reimagined)

Verizon: We want your new phone Nokia.
Nokia: Okay. But you have to update these models before we release a new device on your network.
Verizon CORPORATE: Okay. We have to look at our contracts with other OEMs first to see if we can do it.
Verizon LEGAL: HTC's exclusivity clause was for three months. So on November 19th, its clear.
Verizon: Okay. We'll release in November.
Nokia: Okay

What more can be said?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So, Cyan = AT&T, Debian Red = Verizon...

Poor T-Mobile users... Pink is a long ways away in the alphabet. Let's hope "Flamingo" is their codename.

EDIT: that's what I get for being color-blind. T-Mobile is magenta. So a little closer than P!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)