Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope, they're just passing along the company line.

As was said earlier in this thread, Verizon customer support will blame Nokia. And Nokia customer support will blame Verizon.

Nokia has done the exact same thing for Verizon that they have done for every other international carrier and AT&T. And they've all pushed out the update just fine.

That Nokia hasn't "finalized the update yet" is a bald faced lie.

Further proof is this response from Nokia from ealier today.

wp_ss_20141006_0001.jpg

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Then we will never get the Denim update because there is no 9. Windows 10 is after Windows phone 8.1.

I believe I figured it out. We will get the Cyan update while everyone else is getting the Denim update. Then we will get the Denim update after everyone else is getting windows Nine.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone called and asked if they would let you switch to a HTC M8 because of lack of 8.1 support for the Icon? Not that many would give up the Icon for the M8, but I'm curious if this has ever been brought up.

divideby7

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all (been a long time lurker around here),

I've actually thought about doing this and getting a M8. Although Considering my phone was purchased back in the spring I doubt I would have much success with Verizon being willing to swap it.

I do feel like I am between a bit of a rock and a hard place. I install Developer preview about 2 months ago. Which is great because its 8.1. What's not as great is that I just found out that 8.1 without Cyan doesn't work with some (or all??) BTLE devices like my Adidas MiCoach stuff. I had a bit of a hip injury and wasn't running with the MiCoach so I didn't realize until about a week ago. I thought it was the batteries and tried again last night to no avail. After doing some internet searching it seemed like a common problem to anyone on developer preview (in fact endomondo sports tracker explicitly tells you this when you start the app). I really don't want to roll back my phone to 8.0 but the micoach is inoperable until then. Stinks

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got out of a chat with VZW. I know nothing will come from it but they say they are going to look into it and give me a text by the end of next week.

I really was just bored at work and wanted to vent to someone. I tried to explain that for users that want to be on the cutting edge of tech they need to have the most recent updates quickly. And its frustrating when you have friends on other carriers with the updates that you dont have.

One of these days

SOON™

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Don't know how else to say this but I bid Verizon a not so happy good bye today.

I have the ICON. Over the past few months, I have gone back and forth between 8 & 8.1 more times than I want to remember. Each time I would go to 8.1 a new set of problems would show themselves. This time, I got the Resuming... from the beginning. I soft reset a few times but to no avail. I truly got mad and refused to hard reset again and start from scratch. The last reset I did and did not reload a previous set of data and just went cold turkey. Surely this should have worked better. I didn't even load all the 8.1 programs this time.

Cut to the chase, I paid off the Verizon ETF this morning and bought the AT&T 1520 from a local seller. I pick it up on 10/7 and can't wait to activate it.
Oh, what was the reaction at a corp Verizon store when I told them what I was going to do. The guy had a horse chewing briars grin on his face. Why, he asked tongue in cheek. I said, show me a WP displayed in your store. They did not have a singe WP phone displayed. Not even the new HTC phone that they have an exclusive on. I also mentioned that the second reason was their long wait to push updates to any of their WP's.

He said as I left, you will be back. Not for a blankety blank IOS or Android phone,

Whew, that feels good to vent.

Last edited:

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any idea when Verizon is going to release the Cyan update for the Icon??
Well this thread started out awhile back with a ton of optimism for a coming release. Fast forward to the present and the possibility of any release for cyan to the icon is becoming something of a bad joke. Now that almost every other WP has received the cyan release except the icon and some have even left Verizon over the lack of the update, it boils down to only one thing. "God only knows" because no one else does. I got tired of the wait myself and got the M8 which has all the latest 8.1 goodness. So to answer your question. NO, no one knows when , if ever.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly what Verizon/HTC wanted when they signed that deal.

Not to go too off topic, but how's that going for you, cbreze?
Yeah, but I'd bet they didn't want people to actually leave them over it. Not something I would do, just sayin' .
Both The M8 and icon are fantastic devices. It would be tough to choose one over the other, or so I thought. After 2 days using the M8 I knew I'd never go back to the icon so I sold it.
Camera aside, I like it better every other way. My pics are mostly all outdoors in sunlight as I take it hiking with me. The M8 cam shines very well under those conditions so not an issue. Before I sold it I compared some outdoor photos side by side and could not really see any diff. And , its camera is FAST, unlike the icon. I could go on about it, but YES, its working out very well.

TechJunkie81

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
WP 8.1 and Cyan will be released on Verizon when they get a new Lumia to sell. The Icon will not be seeing any updates. Ever. Buying a WP on Verizon is just throwing away money. They don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99