Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble telling when we're being sarcastic at this point.... Does TC actually know anything? Is there any reason to take him/her seriously?

If you've been here long enough, you would know TC is on the inside at Verizon and has been deadly accurate up until this point. I am very confident that cyan was supposed to come out and there was some kind of change of plans or delay that TC is probably finding out today and will report back.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you've been here long enough, you would know TC is on the inside at Verizon and has been deadly accurate up until this point. I am very confident that cyan was supposed to come out and there was some kind of change of plans or delay that TC is probably finding out today and will report back.

Agreed...

Except for that one deal with the Red Nokia Lumia 928 :grincry:

Vincent Pellicone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I think that this will be put on schedule for Thursday, like the past two weeks where they unleashed a bunch of new phones and carriers to get the cyan update. Hopefully this pans out because my phone had been acting poorly lately on DP 8.1. Crossing my fingers

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of Droid. I used the Droid Maxx last week.... That battery is awesome. That was the best battery life I have ever experienced. It stayed just as slim as the icon. . The only problem was that Windows wasn't on it.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Why roll back to 8.0.

Because the last firmware Verizon released for the ICON was initially only available for those running stock 8.0. Some weeks later Verizon made the update available for those running DP 8.1. So it's a toss up whether it will be available for those running DP 8.1 or 8.0. I rolled back last night anyway. Although my wifi was much better after my last roll back and update to DP 8.1. I still had the battery drain, the power button delay came back and I was beginning to get the resume rolling dots when turning the phone on. No biggie for me though as I don't play many games besides Monopoly. I think most people don't want to lose their game progress by rolling back.

David Hurley1

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been lurking the thread for a couple weeks now and here's my understanding of the situation for those running Developer Preview (DP)

The firmware on Verizon's Icon is modified for Verizon's network and so no Cyan update for the Icon will be released through MS's developer channel. The Windows DP 8.1 software runs fine on the Icon, but users will need to roll back to Verizon's WP 8.0 image to receive the Cyan firmware update from them. Afterwards users can move back to WPDP... at least until Denim, which will probably require another roll back, but at this rate, Verizon won't release Denim until we're all dead and gone.

It's odd to me that the firmware would be different for Verizon... i thought the point of going to SIM card was to avoid such things. But what the hell do I know.

Mentat1231

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

SWEET! I haven't been here long at all, so I didn't realize we had a man on the inside.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Sniff, Sniff.....for some reason I am smelling BullSh*t here. 100+ days later and we are still here day by day waiting for Verizon to get off their a$$ and release a update.

You don't think it's BS ? Prove me wrong as here in the East Coast (RI or CT), We Ain't Found Sh*t

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Because the last firmware Verizon released for the ICON was initially only available for those running stock 8.0. Some weeks later Verizon made the update available for those running DP 8.1. So it's a toss up whether it will be available for those running DP 8.1 or 8.0.

Could this then be the reason for the delay then? A roll out for all vs. two versions? I think Verizon and Microsoft know that it would be quite a Hasselhoff to have to roll back then update for each Nokia firmware update that is released. Sure that may mean Verizon would have to create two of their own prep firmwares possibly but that would be better then rolling back each time. I mean Denim "should" be around the corner next and I would have to roll again?

Just saying...

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Could this then be the reason for the delay then? A roll out for all vs. two versions? I think Verizon and Microsoft know that it would be quite a Hasselhoff to have to roll back then update for each Nokia firmware update that is released. Sure that may mean Verizon would have to create two of their own prep firmwares possibly but that would be better then rolling back each time. I mean Denim "should" be around the corner next and I would have to roll again?

Just saying...

Yeah, not sure how that works as far as packaging the rollout or if it requires separate firmwares but I think AT&T users had to roll back for CYAN too IIRC.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
We used too. Then they fed him a fake release date as a method to confirm his identity; he's probably in Vz jail or dead.

Yea, on a few things, namely a RED 928, that never shipped....I have not seen anything from him in a while and last few things he was off a little on. So, not sure how accurate he is now days. Maybe I am wrong an it will show up tomorrow but, as of this point a day after he posted, there is still nothing....I even disabled the DP program and back on to see if that changed anything....Nope..

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
To be fair he never said the RED 928 would ship. He only said he saw it in the system (as did other sources) and he thought that it may be out as a fathers day promotion, which never happened.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
To be fair he never said the RED 928 would ship. He only said he saw it in the system (as did other sources) and he thought that it may be out as a fathers day promotion, which never happened.

That what I remembered too and was trying to find it before I sounded like a jerk. But yeah, he said only that it was in the system, heck I think he even posted a picture of it in the system.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely. I'm just grateful that he's willing to come to these forums and tell us the information that he's able to get a hold of. As limited as it may be.

Also, don't forget the week that the 928 was released. He spent hours helping WPCentral members find out which store in their area had inventory.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12