Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone sum up what inside information tcman has accurately provided? All I know is the red 928, which wouldn't need much access to find out about, and some supposed htc 8.1 update exclusivity (sounds like complete horse**** to me)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone sum up what inside information tcman has accurately provided? All I know is the red 928, which wouldn't need much access to find out about, and some supposed htc 8.1 update exclusivity (sounds like complete horse**** to me)

There have been too many to count, honestly. He's been incredibly helpful for at least the last 2 years I have been around here, Lumia 928 (not just Red), ATIV SE, Lumia Icon, HTC One M8, updates on when software will be released, etc. There is no reason to question his access to information, other than he missed on this occasion. This is the first time I can recall he's ever been wrong, and who knows, things change all the time.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not going to doubt that he might have provided correct information in the past nor will I doubt that he has insider information.. I don't know so I won't comment.

My issue with his post yesterday is that you don't come to a forum that's in a frenzy, and has been in a frenzy for quite sometime, and dangle a carrot in front of them. Then disappear and post nothing further when your prediction / announcement does not come through.

It's rather obvious now that the information he provided was incorrect. Back we go to waiting, which I am fine with BTW.. I want it just as bad as the next person and hope it comes sooner rather than later..

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, how ever, what ever....All I remember something to the sort of him saying that "red on fathers day" or some other holiday type time and it never showed up. Maybe I am wrong, if I am I am sorry.

All I know about everyone on this thread hopes he's right.....Or at least Verizon does something here, at least post on twitter when it is coming....Oh, wait, this is Verizon... :(

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
He's a Verizon employee, not the guy who executes update rollouts. He gave the best information he could. And he'll continue to do so.

He's not in hiding right now. He's working... Don't be ridiculous.

This community is really showing it's colors right now.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
He's a Verizon employee, not the guy who executes update rollouts. He gave the best information he could. And he'll continue to do so.

Amen to that. Those of you who are getting this worked up should really just step back and take a breath. The guy is doing what he can, he's certainly doing more than just whining on a forum thread.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I assume that was directed at me which is hilarious considering you've been one of the biggest tantrum throwers in this thread..

I don't really care if it come today or not as my Icon on 8.0 is working flawlessly.. He came to a thread in a frenzy, loaded with irrational decisions and posted the update was happing now. It didn't happen..

It did nothing more than pour gas on the fire.. Personally, I think this entire thread should be on comedy central.. People changing carriers, changing phones, wanting the FCC involved, class action suits.. It's pretty darn funny if you sit back and read..

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Uh... you do realize that the WP8.1/Cyan for developers is identical to the "official" WP8.1/Cyan released by Verizon right?

Uh... you do realize that there are features stripped out of the DP that will be brought back in the official Cyan release? BT 4.0LE for example.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well that was exciting.

Agree that people should leave off TC, things don't always go as planned. We'll get it eventually.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I assume that was directed at me which is hilarious considering you've been one of the biggest tantrum throwers in this thread..

I don't really care if it come today or not as my Icon on 8.0 is working flawlessly.. He came to a thread in a frenzy, loaded with irrational decisions and posted the update was happing now. It didn't happen..

It did nothing more than pour gas on the fire.. Personally, I think this entire thread should be on comedy central.. People changing carriers, changing phones, wanting the FCC involved, class action suits.. It's pretty darn funny if you sit back and read..

It's also quite possible he posted the last info he received before he left for vacation... and maybe he wants to spend time with his family vs checking in here 24/7. Just because I'm on vacation in Myrtle Beach, checking here every spare moment, doesn't mean he's going too. :grin:

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

Well I do try to keep things light and fun around here. Life has enough challenges that this stuff here just can't effect me emotionally that much. While I was slightly annoyed by having my hopes raised and dashed with this recent tease, it's just not that big of a deal to get outraged about. At least not in my life.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
While I was slightly annoyed by having my hopes raised and dashed with this recent tease, it's just not that big of a deal to get outraged about. At least not in my life.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!!

Lol totally kidding yeah no big deal on my end what is another day or months, as long as my phone works, I have no plans on abandoning the Windows platform or my Icon...

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Uh... you do realize that there are features stripped out of the DP that will be brought back in the official Cyan release? BT 4.0LE for example.
BT 4.0 LE is part of the firmware, not the OS. The features that are in DP are the same as WP8.1 final. Anything hardware related (camera, bluetooth, etc) is firmware. It's the same as installing Windows on a PC. I don't expect my video card to fully work without the drivers.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

No. That is not true. Nothing was "stripped" out of WP8.1. Black, Cyan, Denim, etc... are Nokia (now Microsoft) specific firmware updates with some Microsoft specific goodies baked in. Bluetooth 4.0 (aka Bluetooth 4.0LE), is a hardware standard and therefore separate and distinct from the OS. Therefore, Microsoft will include that into Cyan NOT the OS. The same for the HTC. The HTC M8 also has Bluetooth 4.0, but it with "aptX", so HTC has to provide its own firmware for the hardware. Also, non-Microsoft devices do NOT get Cyan; but they do have their own manufacturer specific goodies that are not available for us Microsoft users.

To clarify my previous statement. As of right now, people who are running WP8.1 DP are running the same (actually a more updated) version that is running on the HTC M8 for Windows. If Microsoft were to release Cyan to us via the developers preview program, then we would be running the same version of Cyan (since there is only one version) that will eventually be released by Verizon and has been released on other carriers.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
BT 4.0 LE is part of the firmware, not the OS. The features that are in DP are the same as WP8.1 final. Anything hardware related (camera, bluetooth, etc) is firmware. It's the same as installing Windows on a PC. I don't expect my video card to fully work without the drivers.

Thanks. You said that better than I did.

Mentat1231

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
WM Poweruser reported yesterday that 100 carriers/phones were supposed to get Lumia Cyan that day. The article also said that the reason they hadn't gotten it earlier was that there were problems with "bitlocker" (I have no idea what that is). In any case, I can't imagine why the Icon wouldn't be one of those that got it yesterday. Maybe TC was working off similar data...?

phiniac

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
WM Poweruser reported yesterday that 100 carriers/phones were supposed to get Lumia Cyan that day. The article also said that the reason they hadn't gotten it earlier was that there were problems with "bitlocker" (I have no idea what that is). In any case, I can't imagine why the Icon wouldn't be one of those that got it yesterday. Maybe TC was working off similar data...?

Link?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Bitlocker is Microsoft's device encryption system (algorithm?), and it really only affected those with company Windows Phones with it enabled. Hence, that was why people on WP8.1 DP were supposed to roll back to WP8.0, and then update to WP8.1 w/Cyan. The Icon is carrier specific to Verizon, so, Verizon can say, "No, don't release it to our users. We will do that ourselves."

I doubt TC is working off of that information though. I think he was reporting what he knew to be factually correct, and that something happened to forestall it. Whether it was a technical glitch or not, we probably won't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077