Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
bitlocker = device encryption. It was first introduced in windows vista enterprise and ultimate editions.

WM Poweruser reported yesterday that 100 carriers/phones were supposed to get Lumia Cyan that day. The article also said that the reason they hadn't gotten it earlier was that there were problems with "bitlocker" (I have no idea what that is). In any case, I can't imagine why the Icon wouldn't be one of those that got it yesterday. Maybe TC was working off similar data...?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
One possibility is that Verizon doesn't actually host the update, but have an agreement that microsoft/nokia won't push the update until they approve it. So its possible they could have signed off on it yesterday and then its a matter of someone flicking the switch at microsoft. I've actually suspected that it was possible that they could have "accidentally" released cyan to us without verizon's permission. Its just speculation, but I believe that everything is hosted by microsoft.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
One possibility is that Verizon doesn't actually host the update, but have an agreement that microsoft/nokia won't push the update until they approve it. So its possible they could have signed off on it yesterday and then its a matter of someone flicking the switch at microsoft. I've actually suspected that it was possible that they could have "accidentally" released cyan to us without verizon's permission. Its just speculation, but I believe that everything is hosted by microsoft.

Good point.

Mentat1231

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

That would make sense. So, then, who do we have to blackmail at Microsoft???

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've seen a post like that, but it was a couple of weeks ago. It would be hard to know which is which unless you're talking about an old post and mistaking it for a new one.

Evidently I have to have 10 posts in order to start posting links.... So, I'll post the link after coming up with a reason to post 4 more times! LOL.

In the meantime just search "Lumia Cyan 100 carriers", and it should come up.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Verizonhurchsign_zps79e99924.jpg

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Dan Rubino voiced an interesting theory. He states in a podcast that since the cancellation of Goldfinger, MS had no flagships planned for the holiday season. He states HTC came to the rescue due to their lack of a plan B.

Could the agreement be between Nokia and HTC? I hate to second guess myself, but maybe Verizon is innocent here? Perhaps they unwittingly paid HTC for exclusivity, unknowingly locked out from updates on their Nokia phones based in an agreement between MS and HTC.

Just another wild theory...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just not looking forward to the Denim wait if Cyan is coming in the next day or so.... :(

3:58 PM here in CT...No updates available yet

Last edited:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
No at first I thought it made sense, but AT&T has it as well as most carriers around the world just not in the US. Also why would Nokia screw over their customers for a competitor and give them the opportunity to make some sales? If this agreement was in place I don't think anyone would have it.

Dan Rubino voiced an interesting theory. He states in a podcast that since the cancellation of Goldfinger, MS had no flagships planned for the holiday season. He states HTC came to the rescue due to their lack of a plan B.

Could the agreement be between Nokia and HTC? I hate to second guess myself, but maybe Verizon is innocent here? Perhaps they unwittingly paid HTC for exclusivity, unknowingly locked out from updates on their Nokia phones based in an agreement between MS and HTC.

Just another wild theory...

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well it would explain Verizon's hostility in driving users away from WP. It would also explain the lack of advertising around the OM8FW. Or the small reveal event. Dunno, what more do we have to go off of at this point?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The weird thing is I was just looking at the availability pages. In the rest of the world its about 90% available on all the various combinations, but here in the US its like 50% at best. What's even stranger is that T-Mobile has Cyan in various countries, but not the US.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm convinced Cyan references ATT colors. Debian Red is a reference for Verizon and T-Mob combined.

MS is US centric about most of its services. Allusions to US carriers for their internal naming schemes would be unsurprising if not expected.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well it would explain Verizon's hostility in driving users away from WP. It would also explain the lack of advertising around the OM8FW. Or the small reveal event. Dunno, what more do we have to go off of at this point?
How do you mean lack of advertising? I've seen ads for the OM8FW on TV pretty much every day for the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster