Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

becho321

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
So I just chatted with verizon customer service and this is what they said:

Kawana: Hello, welcome to Verizon Wireless sales chat! My name is Kawana, may I have your name, please?
Becho321: Hi my name is Becho321.
Kawana: How may I assist you Becho321 ?
Becho321: I was curious as to why I can't pull up any details about the Nokia Lumia Icon on your website
Kawana: Click on the device and then look under the device and the specs are listed
Becho321: When I click on the device a page comes up and says zero products. the page shows no information about the phone
Becho321: www(dot)verizonwireless(dot)com/vzw/smartphones/lumia-icon/
Kawana: I will send a link
Kawana: Ok
Becho321: That is the site I went to is that correct
Kawana: one moment
Kawana: We no longer offer the icon that is why the device is no longer in stock
Becho321: Seriously? I just bought it an hour ago?
Becho321: Does that mean verizon will not send out an update for 8.1?
Kawana:
Kawana: You can get the update call 800-922-0204 option 3
Becho321: The cyan update is currently available?
Kawana: Yes
Becho321: awesome thank you
Kawana: Thank you for your business today; I'm glad I was able to help you! At the end of this chat there is an opportunity for you to provide your feedback based on your experience with me today. We would very much appreciate your thoughts.

I don't have the Icon yet so I am unable to check this out but I have no idea whats going on right now. It looks like they dropped the Icon from Verizon.

phiniac

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Verizon Chat:
Jennifer: The phone is to low of a stock for it to be on the site and the glitch is that it is still showing on the selection of Nokia phones.

Jennifer: I have passed this on and we are working to fix it. Once we get more in stock it should be back on the site.

becho321

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
According to everyone I have talked to on Verizon's customer service chat the Icon has been officially retired and is no longer offered through Verizon... I just ordered one online this morning. I hope we get this update

becho321

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Here is the second person I chatted with on Verizon's site:

Ariel: Hello, welcome to Verizon Wireless sales chat! My name is Ariel, may I have your name, please?
Becho321: Hello my name is Becho321
Ariel: Hi Becho321!
Ariel: How are you?
Becho321: Doing okay a little worried.. I was just told by another person on here that the Nokia Lumia Icon is no longer offered through Verizon. Is that true?
Ariel: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however we have retired this device.
Becho321: Okay why is that?
Ariel: Unfortunately we have to faze out older devices for newer ones.
Becho321: Okay well I just purchased that phone this morning.. Does this mean Verizon will not be pushing the 8.1/cyan windows phone update with cortana for my icon?
Ariel: You purchased in store?
Becho321: Online
Becho321: at 9AM this morning
Ariel: Oh I apologize, it looks like you must have gotten one of the last ones.
Ariel: But any updates will be sent straight to your device. And you can guarantee they will be up to date
Becho321: Apparently I did... Will the 8.1/cyan update come to the phone still?
Becho321: Okay that is good news.
Becho321: Any idea as to when the update will be available?
Ariel: I am unfortunately unable to see the update dates. However you can always inquire online.

Thats pretty much all I was able to get from anyone.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Kinda sad if it has been discontinued this quickly. At least they added the HTC so Verizon still has a top tier windows phone.

It's all a bit concerning seeing the lack of devices over the past year and what appears to be waning support for windows phone on US carriers, which was already low. T-Mobile basically only has one low end phone in the 635, which I've not seen in any T-Mobile stores I've been to. Sprint is a no go and now Verizon with basically only the HTC M8. Doesn't look that promising.

If I was in the UK I'd be so satisfied with the 930, frustrating to see the same phone get such a prominent position in the lineup while we're all sat here being treated like subpar customers.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
No I mean that Verizon doesn't test anything. Its all on Nokia/Microsoft and if it breaks something that isn't critical then no biggie and they just issue another update to fix that. Basically exactly what happened with ios8, except for the fact that it broke cellular connectivity shouldn't have happened.

I bet they charge for every test, sort of like how developers are required to fork over 35k, 75k, or 150k to MS for every update delivered over Xbox Live.

But, I bet Verizon charges more to their billionaire OEM partners. 7 figures per update per device sounds about right?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Its interesting I checked out their site and the Icon is twords the bottom, but the 928 is before it. However the Icon's details is broken, but the 928 works just fine. If they really are retiring the Icon why would they retire the newer and better Icon, but not the 928? Makes no sense to me.

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Its interesting I checked out their site and the Icon is twords the bottom, but the 928 is before it. However the Icon's details is broken, but the 928 works just fine. If they really are retiring the Icon why would they retire the newer and better Icon, but not the 928? Makes no sense to me.
Ditto. I'm hopeful they are redesigning the link to reflect the Icon on WP8.1... :\

kloar

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Agreed, I don't buy it. As you said, why would they retire the Icon when the older HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV SE are still listed with functioning links? I also don't think this has anything to do with the update about to be released. It's just a coincidence and indicates that they have a crappy website.

Obsidial

May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you look above...one person is saying that they chatted Verizon and the Icon is now discontinued.

If this is true...I'm officially done caring about this anymore...

This reminds me of when I was one of the lone American users of S60 phones like the N95 and E66. Time to move on :crying:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but that was with a Verizon chat rep. We definitely know more than they do. (I'm leaving that sentence very open-ended.)

If you look above...one person is saying that they chatted Verizon and the Icon is now discontinued.

If this is true...I'm officially done caring about this anymore...

This reminds me of when I was one of the lone American users of S60 phones like the N95 and E66. Time to move on :crying:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Regardless of the reason it shouldn't appear halfway like that. I'm a web developer myself. If I update the information on any page of my website it doesn't break the page. If I delete something then its gone 100%. With that said I used to have issues with amphersands and other specially reserved characters. I solved that problem a long time ago and the new design prevents that problem from ever occurring again.

Agreed, I don't buy it. As you said, why would they retire the Icon when the older HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV SE are still listed with functioning links? I also don't think this has anything to do with the update about to be released. It's just a coincidence and indicates that they have a crappy website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers