Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if any of the WP guys are looking into this in more detail. I would think one of the Mods would have voiced an opinion by now. All quiet on the ICON front.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a source...

So do I but mine has been inconsistent...

magic-8-ball.jpg

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Don't care if you believe me or not, you'll see when it becomes unavailable after existing inventory runs out.

But why would they kill the ICON. It just doesn't make any sense at all. The negative fall out will be loud and long if this is the truth. I would think that if it is true, Verizon and MS business dealings would go from just breathing to stone cold dead. I don't want to believe this is happening.

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Got similar info from VZ rep:

Jessica: We have the Nokia Lumia 928 available, however I am not finding the 929. Would you like a link to this model?
Me: I would like a link to the 929, not the 928
Me: any idea why it is down?
Me: /not found?
Me: Is it completely removed from your system?
Jessica: We don't have it in our system currently, but I can double check to see if I can find out why that is for you! I'll just be a moment.
Me: thank you
Jessica: It seems we are out of stock, and do not have a shipment coming soon for our online supply. There may be other routes to go to get this phone via our telesales team though, would you like their number?

WTF

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
But why would they kill the ICON. It just doesn't make any sense at all. The negative fall out will be loud and long if this is the truth. I would think that if it is true, Verizon and MS business dealings would go from just breathing to stone cold dead. I don't want to believe this is happening.

I have no idea and no idea if it will still get cyan or not, just know it is retired.

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Decided to jump on vzw website and start a chat. here is the transcript.

VZW Rep: at 15:30:44
Hello! Welcome to Verizon Wireless Sales Chat, my name is VZW Rep! May I have your name, please?
You: at 15:31:17
Hi VZW Rep
You: at 15:31:23
My name is My name
You: at 15:31:38
I was trying to order the Lumia Icon
You: at 15:31:44
but i dont see it on the site anymore
VZW Rep: at 15:31:43
Awesome! :)
VZW Rep: at 15:31:59
Okay, no problem, One moment please.
VZW Rep: at 15:32:31
That device has been retired .
You: at 15:32:43
retired?
You: at 15:32:48
since when?
You: at 15:33:02
any reason why?
VZW Rep: at 15:33:13
Devices get retired because we get newer devices on the website.
VZW Rep: at 15:33:36
Oh! Hold on.
VZW Rep: at 15:33:41
It's on the website, weird. It said it was retired.
VZW Rep: at 15:33:44
Can I send you a link?
You: at 15:33:53
sure
VZW Rep: at 15:34:35
And I refreshed my page and its gone. Oh goodness.
You: at 15:34:47
odd
You: at 15:34:54
Phone is just over a year old too
VZW Rep: at 15:35:01
Yes it was released 2/14.
You: at 15:35:40
is it being replaced with another Lumia phone?
VZW Rep: at 15:36:29
We do have the Nokia Lumia 928.
You: at 15:37:36
yes but thats an older and inferior model
We do have the Samsung ATIVE SE...that is the windows phone.
You: at 15:38:56
thanks but i like the Lumia line of phones
VZW Rep: at 15:39:13
I understand. We may be getting new ones however I don't have that information.
You: at 15:39:22
ok thanks
VZW Rep: at 15:39:33
I do apologize. There aren't any other devices you're interested in?
You: at 15:40:12
no sorry not at this time. I don't like iOS or Android so i will either have to wait and see or go to another carrier.
VZW Rep: at 15:41:40
We do have other Windows phones though.
VZW Rep: at 15:41:54
We have an HTC phone that is Windows.
You: at 15:42:10
i know but as i mentioned i like the Nokia Lumia line of phones
VZW Rep: at 15:42:33
Okay, no problem. You can check back every once in awhile, we may get a new one on the site.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Got similar info from VZ rep:

Jessica: We have the Nokia Lumia 928 available, however I am not finding the 929. Would you like a link to this model?
Me: I would like a link to the 929, not the 928
Me: any idea why it is down?
Me: /not found?
Me: Is it completely removed from your system?
Jessica: We don't have it in our system currently, but I can double check to see if I can find out why that is for you! I'll just be a moment.
Me: thank you
Jessica: It seems we are out of stock, and do not have a shipment coming soon for our online supply. There may be other routes to go to get this phone via our telesales team though, would you like their number?

WTF

Jessica was guessing that it eas out of stock, because she can't find the 929 in her system (why did you ask for 929 instead of Icon, by the way?).

Look, these Verizon reps know NOTHING more than we do. Haven't we established that over and over?

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
It is in fact gone. Go to the VZW site and filter on either Nokia or Windows and you'll see it's gone. Not like when it was out of stock and had a ship date, it's just plain gone. While the chat transcript was probably fake, they don't remove products from their site when updating it or even if it's out of stock. It is gone. No new phones at AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile and the only new phone in the past 6 months looks like it's retired.

My theory is MS is going to take a hiatus in the US market. They are marking progress outside of the US so I think they'll hold tight and release a bunch of US phones during the Windows 10 blitz. I can see why AT&T got their updates out faster, GSM is an entirely different beast and they don't need to involve the Qualcomm like CDMA devices do.

For several weeks, Nokia had been responding to Twitter users that the Icon was getting updated and that has stopped over the past two weeks. I've sent their pages on Cyan and Denim to Pocket but it'll be interesting if any of them change. If I were a betting man, I'd say the Icon is done and will not get any updates, but I do believe we'll continue to get updates through the developer preview.

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The chat transcript i posted is not fake and i doubt the other 2 are fake either. Whether or not the VZW reps don't know anything or not. Something is awry with the Icon.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Why is it so tough to believe Verizon legitimately could be discontinuing it? It actually makes sense from their perspective. They've always been tepid at best when it comes to WP, they probably got burned with the 928 as they've been giving them away for a year so maybe they didn't stock as many Icons, and they probably think having a single current flagship (HTC One) is enough for their WP portfolio. Regardless, it doesn't mean we're not getting Cyan. The two are mutually exclusive.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Before this spins completely out of hand, this is the simplest explanation:

sky-is-falling.jpg

Just kidding - What's actually happening is that they are low on stock of Icon's pre-loaded with WP8/Black. As they near the roll out WP8.1/Cyan, they'll also be selling Icon's that come pre-loaded with the newest software/firmware. They probably already have boxes upon boxes in warehouses of them ready to roll out to retail locations.

It makes sense that they would take the page down when they are running low on inventory. And it makes sense that they would be running low on inventory. The Nokia Lumia Icon is the best selling WP8 currently in their line up. View Tcman's post from earlier in this thread here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/296276-26.htm#post2768273

"When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust."

In short: The Icon isn't being "retired" and Cyan is coming soon. Put away the tin foil hats. Verizon Reps know nothing. And ignore the posters with "sources."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720