Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Before this spins completely out of hand, this is the simplest explanation:

View attachment 84092

Just kidding - What's actually happening is that they are low on stock of Icon's pre-loaded with WP8/Black. As they near the roll out WP8.1/Cyan, they'll also be selling Icon's that come pre-loaded with the newest software/firmware. They probably already have boxes upon boxes in warehouses of them ready to roll out to retail locations.

It makes sense that they would take the page down when they are running low on inventory. And it makes sense that they would be running low on inventory. The Nokia Lumia Icon is the best selling WP8 currently in their line up.

In short: The Icon isn't being "retired" and Cyan is coming soon. Put away the tin foil hats. Verizon Reps know nothing. And ignore the posters with "sources."

The eternal optimist. I hope you are right. I still have my ICON and probably would go back to Verizon but now; I don't know.

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Bad business practice to make a phone unavailable to users and tell them it's retired instead of saying "hey we are out of stock at the moment but will be receiving more soon". Even if this has to do with phones coming pre-loaded with Cyan why would they steer customers to other phones?

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I converted 3 of my close friends from androids to the Icon. They are patiently waiting for the official 8.1/cyan update to bring their phones on par with the androids they left. Going to feel like a jerk if this phone never gets cyan via DP or official.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
i 100% dont believe they discontinued the device but the 928 is still listed. i also 100% dont trust what any cell phone rep has ever told me. It will be back, if anything it's good news for us in my eyes.

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
is it possible that MS is shipping VZ new stock of icon's that have 8.1 preloaded in anticipation of the 8.1 rollout?

It's possible but why would VZW say it's discontinued to people trying to buy it. Even if they dont want to give away that Cyan is coming they should at least say that it's currently out of stock not retired.

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
BTW i spoke to someone at MS who said you can still order it through them but that does not mean that VZW is not retiring it. He couldn't confirm or deny the claims but the two are not tied together.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Confused-Image1_zps4cb6fa7f.jpg

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've always thought that the whole Icon and 929 thing was weird. Maybe they are going to rebrand it as the 930 to use the Commercials that are used overseas. Just a wild thought.

Has TCMAN said anything since he said Cyan should be rolling out? This thread moves to fast for me to check :p

santis00

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Just to add fuel to the fire.

I had to call our business rep to order an iPad cover. Asked if they still carried the Icon as I did not see it on their website. He said let me check. He said they do not have it in their system because they are going to a different model. So I asked which one, he said the 928.

So mixed info there as I am sure he doesn't know much about Windows phone's if he thinks the 928 is a better/newer model.

bummer. but good excuse to get the Note 4

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just did a web chat with a verizon person and he told me it was discontinued because of low sales. NO LIE
Did he tell you about their new iPhone 6??? All the cool kids have it and they sell like hot cakes!!!

Seriously. A rep wouldn't know their sales numbers OR reasons for discontinuing a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa