Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I cant find it on the we site anymore, just the 928. It does look like it is discontinued. Maybe the 735 will be announced soon and possibly a 830. Who knows...heck I can see Verizon getting totally rid of Windows Phone all together.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am starting to think it has been retired.

I called the VZW store where I purchased my Icon and spoke with the store manager. My Icon is just over the 2 week return period. He did some checking then told me it has in fact been discontinued. He said I can bring it back for the HTC M8 if I want and pay the price difference..

I'm debating what to do..

Obsidial

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Between the false hope Tuesday (now 10 pages back in this thread) and this today...I'm taking a self-imposed one week hiatus from this thread. It's out of control.

becho321

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
As some other members made clear. I was not lying about the transcript I posted. That was also the second representative I talked to asking this question. Both came back to me with the same response. I may be a newbie here on these forums and to windows phone but I'm not a liar don't worry ;)

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I cant find it on the we site anymore, just the 928. It does look like it is discontinued. Maybe the 735 will be announced soon and possibly a 830. Who knows...heck I can see Verizon getting totally rid of Windows Phone all together.

I doubt they will totally get rid of WP ever. As much as they push iOS and Android they will always sell WP for as long as they exist. They just got the HTC One so getting rid of the OS doesn;t seem to be on their radar.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
cute-funny-gif-kids-Favimcom-369458_zpsd8f5af54.gif

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Before this spins completely out of hand, this is the simplest explanation:

View attachment 84092

Just kidding - What's actually happening is that they are low on stock of Icon's pre-loaded with WP8/Black. As they near the roll out WP8.1/Cyan, they'll also be selling Icon's that come pre-loaded with the newest software/firmware. They probably already have boxes upon boxes in warehouses of them ready to roll out to retail locations.

It makes sense that they would take the page down when they are running low on inventory. And it makes sense that they would be running low on inventory. The Nokia Lumia Icon is the best selling WP8 currently in their line up. View Tcman's post from earlier in this thread here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/296276-26.htm#post2768273

"When it comes to windows phones on Verizon Nokia is pretty much it. If you head over to vzw.com to purchase an icon you'll notice the phone is out of stock while the new HTC is collecting dust."

In short: The Icon isn't being "retired" and Cyan is coming soon. Put away the tin foil hats. Verizon Reps know nothing. And ignore the posters with "sources."

Quoting myself for emphasis.

Calm down and think, people.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I doubt they will totally get rid of WP ever. As much as they push iOS and Android they will always sell WP for as long as they exist. They just got the HTC One so getting rid of the OS doesn;t seem to be on their radar.
Sprint did, first they stopped updating (had install WP7.8 without their help) then they abandoned windows phone altogether. It's business, its all about profit.

wstanton

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Verizon to roll out cyan and 8.1 starting about right now
Two days isn't too much [tcman88 said that on the 7th] ... but, on top of all the months leading up to those two days, it's too much.

The maddening thing is no on-the-record word from anybody in authority at Verizon that they even intend to release an update for the Icon. So most of the folks here jump at every rumor, and all rumors and hoaxes speak are treated on an equal footing by the group.

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It could be showing as a discontinued SKU in their system if the 8.1/Cyan version has a different model number. This is, of course, speculation. I'd imagine that if it's really going to be discontinued then we'll see an article on the WPCentral site before too long.

Mentat1231

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
To those who are saying the Icon is retired... am I high, or didn't the initial announcement of Lumia Denim include the stipulation that the Icon, 1520, and 930 would be the ones initially getting Denim because of the Snapdragon whatnot? So I really doubt that the Icon. is getting retired.

tkolar15

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
No one is saying it's definitely retired but there is a lot of chatter from VZW that it is indeed retired. On top of the that the phone is no longer on the site.

Yes Denimi was announced for the Icon but that was by Nokia no? If VZW decided to retire it then that's their decision.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
To those who are saying the Icon is retired... am I high, or didn't the initial announcement of Lumia Denim include the stipulation that the Icon, 1520, and 930 would be the ones initially getting Denim because of the Snapdragon whatnot? So I really doubt that the Icon. is getting retired.

I highly doubt it's retired.

However, even if it is, that doesn't negate what you say. The existing Icons can still get Denim even if it's retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos