Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
If this is true, that Verizon is dropping the Icon, this is a bunch of BS. The phone is not a year old, and they don't support it, now they drop it, screw them (Verizon)

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
"Microsoft, Nokia, VZW...somebody better speak up and have some answers because this is a terrible way to treat your customers."

Don't expect anything from VZW, but would like something from MS.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if the forever-old WP update agreement that carriers can 'skip one update, but must provide the following one' is still in effect?

I have been a huge fan of Windows Phone since the beginning. Zune before that, and Windows Media Center before that. I cannot recall any similar situation where a flagship device, or any device for that matter, was so neglected (perhaps the original HTC Titan?). I get the impression that Microsoft has given up on pushing carriers to update their devices, and are just resting on the fact that they have the Preview for Developers program now. Why can we no longer have anything even close to the universal, simultaneous rollout that 7.5 Mango had? EVERY update that came out prior to the PFD program was handled better than anything since then.

All I know is that I don't care if we ever see Cyan at this point, but if we don't see promise of Denim when it starts to roll out this month I am officially giving up. Not on Verizon, but on Windows Phone. It would be outrageous if their flagship device, that I paid over 500 dollars for, never received an update. I don't care if Verizon has been sitting on the update since RTM - fix the ******* problem, Microsoft. Throw money at them until they do it, I don't care. This is your flagship device.

That felt good. Pls to be forwarding to joeb

RSailer

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you think the 928 sells better than the Icon? I find that hard to believe. Whatever the reasons are, I seriously doubt it's sales.

Who knows, obviously no one here. It just feels like another slap in the face. If it is officially and totally retired, we will probably never be given a real explanation anyways.

RSailer

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if the forever-old WP update agreement that carriers can 'skip one update, but must provide the following one' is still in effect?

I have been a huge fan of Windows Phone since the beginning. Zune before that, and Windows Media Center before that. I cannot recall any similar situation where a flagship device, or any device for that matter, was so neglected (perhaps the original HTC Titan?). I get the impression that Microsoft has given up on pushing carriers to update their devices, and are just resting on the fact that they have the Preview for Developers program now. Why can we no longer have anything even close to the universal, simultaneous rollout that 7.5 Mango had? Pretty much every update that came out before the PFD program was handled better than anything since then.

All I know is that I don't care if we ever see Cyan at this point, but if we don't see promise of Denim when it starts to roll out this month I am officially giving up. Not on Verizon, but on Windows Phone. It would be outrageous if their flagship device, that I paid over 500 dollars for, never received an update. I don't care if Verizon has been sitting on the update since RTM - fix the ******* problem, Microsoft. Throw money at them until they do it, I don't care. This is your flagship device.

I agree. If anyone has enough money or power to do this, it would be Microsoft. VZW would have to be holding out "on principal" if Microsoft couldn't pay them to get this done. I don't know where I'd turn if I abandoned Windows Phone, but I'd probably get more respect.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
HTC M8 is a nice phone, I doubt you'll regret it. But I wouldn't expect to get future updates any faster than other windows phones on Verizon.

Should have gone with the new Moto X, best phone and value currently at VZ.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the icon with wp8 is discontinued and will be replaced with a new revision with 8.1

It would make a little sense, given just how much gets added. Not just in software, but hardware enabling (sensorcore, bt le, whatever the always listening chip is). And all the more outrageous for it not to get an update.

Rockinroofer

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree! We are done with windows and the Icon. Windows is the next Blackberry. It's going nowhere fast and Verizon retiring the Icon in less than a year confirms windows mobile is a lost cause. Now I have to shop for three new phones. We gave windows a try and it has been nothing but a pain in the rear end. IMHO MS should stick with developing software for Apple and Android, they have no business being in the hardware business. We came from Apple and I think we will try Android this time. Such a shame the Icon could have been a really good phone. Live and learn.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing is for those exchanging their Icon for the M8 may find that version of the M8 retired too real soon. HTC just announced a new M8 that is the exact same as the current phone but with updated cameras. Not sure how long they will.keep making the M8 with the old camera.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
HTC M8 is a nice phone, I doubt you'll regret it. But I wouldn't expect to get future updates any faster than other windows phones on Verizon.

Should have gone with the new Moto X, best phone and value currently at VZ.

I didn't change over due to a lack of 8.1 on the Icon. I changed over because I don't want to pay full price for a phone that's been discontinued / retired.. I just purchased the Icon on the 18th of last month. Paying full price for a phone that's been whacked 3 weeks later is a hard pill to swallow..

I don't like Android and wanted to stick with WP..

MikeySoft

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Huge Disappointment. I've had my Icon since February and love it. Running 8.1 Developers on it. Figures, now Verizon must think it does not have to push through an update. :-(

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I didn't change over due to a lack of 8.1 on the Icon. I changed over because I don't want to pay full price for a phone that's been discontinued / retired.. I just purchased the Icon on the 18th of last month. Paying full price for a phone that's been whacked 3 weeks later is a hard pill to swallow..

I don't like Android and wanted to stick with WP..
I hear you. I bought mine 3 months ago, really pisses me off to have extended my contract for 2 years. If this is true (it may not be) I'll definitely call it quits with VZ and probably high end windows phones (I own an AT&T 635).

I own 3 windows phones and a bunch of apps, but its just tiring to deal with. The phone OS and software is awesome, but third party support blows. We all need to remember that yes we may like windows phone but its MS job to invest in the platform and move it forward, not us. If this phone is really done then MS really did us a disservice .

Without a doubt my next move will be to go with either a nexus or moto x pure edition on AT&T which cuts the carrier out of the update process.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I get this sucks, but everyone dumping their icons because of this? Why? Did they stop working for some reason? Even if you don't go for the 8.1 preview which works perfectly for most why dump a perfectly good phone? @Rockinroofer, now you have to shop for 3 phones? I don't get your logic. The icon as is even running 8 works fine, no? I understand ya'lls disappointment for sure, but bailing from carriers and dumping phones asap is a bit of a knee jerk reaction IMO.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Icon with the expectation that not only would it get 8.1 and Cyan, but that it would be one of the first to receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos